Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Le Samouraļ (1967)

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974)

Possession (1981)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

Excellent, balls-to-the-wall, action-filled extravaganza! First time in a long time that I've watched a movie at home and felt so jazzed afterward that it was like a post-cinema-trip buzz. I felt like I'd just walked out of the theater thinking, "I've got to get this movie on DVD!." It's got alien invasion, power suits for battle against said aliens, time manipulation, Emily Blunt and Tom Cruise doing a really fine job handling the drama of the piece while simultaneously kicking ass. A really good time to be had.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
[quote=Arcanis;1257685]is this question rhetorical, or am I allowed to answer?

I remember it vividly, probably "THE BEST I EVER HAD" (The Who, we met at the concert, and by chance, they are on currently "Sister Disco" by chance)

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Still Alice - 6/10

The less you know about the movie, the better. I read one line in the description and wish I hadn't. I did realize that Julianne Moore does a consistent "acting" cry that I thought was fake when I saw "Magnolia"

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Ozu has tons of movies, so you have a lot to discover, Copbyth! And even if you saw all of them, you can always rewatch them or watch the films of Mikio Naruse. He's the closest to Ozu when it comes to feeling of the film.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Ozu has tons of movies, so you have a lot to discover, Copbyth! And even if you saw all of them, you can always rewatch them or watch the films of Mikio Naruse. He's the closest to Ozu when it comes to feeling of the film.
Or for a modern version check out Hirokazu Koreeda's Still Walking.

Lord High Filmquisitor

Kingsman: The Secret Service - 8/10

We officially have our first good movie of the year. Kingsman is a scorchingly hilarious sendup to classic spy films like the early Bonds and the under-rated Avengers tv series. It features all of the cool gadgets, gimicky villains and gentlemanly veneer of its forebearers while updating it with a decidedly modern aesthetic. It's outragious, messy, often contradictory and an all around great time. I can't wait to see what Matthew Vaugn has planned for a sequel.

Infernal Affairs - 8.5/10

When all is said and done, regardless of how excellent this film actually was, it pales when compared to its far superior remake. Slicker and faster paced than its antecedent, it ultimately fails to plumb the depths of its characters and what the weight of their jobs does to them, which I am lead to believe is addressed in the sequels. I did feel that the police mole's reasoning for turning on his employer was both better realize and more surprising than in The Departed, which to me lagged and felt a bit more necessitated by the plot.

Brimming with rififi!
John Wick

It's rare that moviegoers can get excited for a Keanu Reeves film. The Matrix was the last time for me. John Wick, however, is a triumphant return to action for the now 50-year-old Reeves.

The film begins with Wick grieving his wife's death through the companionship of an adorable puppy (Daisy) his wife posthumously gives him. Soon, Wick's home is broken into by Russian gangsters who kill Daisy—the most heart-wrenching death of 2014—and steal Wick's car. I can't think of a better way to pit the audience against an antagonist than by having him kill a puppy. It's a cheap play, but it works.

After the robbery, the audience is still in the dark concerning who Wick is. With limited lines of dialogue and interaction, it's difficult to get a beat on the character. The first hint comes from a scene in which Wick delivers a short line of Russian dialogue to one of the would-be burglars, who consequentially becomes Daisy's murderer.

Wick's ambiguity wanes after meeting with Aureilo (John Leguizamo), a chop-shop owner who refused to chop (is that the lingo?) Wick's car. Wick learns that it was Iosef Tarasov (Alfie Allen), Wick's former boss' son, who stole his car and, more importantly, destroyed Wick's last living link to his wife, his "semblance of hope."

Wick is essentially stripped of his existence, his reason for living, in one short week. This leads to a symbolic scene where Wick uses a sledgehammer to "dig up his past" by unearthing his buried arsenal. It soon becomes clear that John Wick was once a highly regarded hitman virtuoso.

The rest of the movie plays out as a high-octane action romp. Each action scene is exquisitely choreographed and seething with style. I couldn't help but think of Taken meets a bit of gun-fu. Chad Stahelski, with his stuntman background, thankfully doesn't shy away from showing the action. He pulls back the camera and allows the audience to fully engage and experience the highly stylized action sequences. Best of all, we aren't subjected to Michael Bay shaky-cam vomit-inducing "techniques."

A unique facet of this film is the underground criminal organization that Wick is forced to re-immerses himself into. The film creates a unique yet believable criminal network where there is a peculiar amount of respect and courtesy among so many thieves and murderers. But through great direction and a tight script, it works perfectly. There is a hilarious scene in which the Hotel Manager politely phones Wick's room to alert him of several noise complaints. The phone relentlessly rings while Wick and Perkins (Adrianne Palicki), a fellow assassin looking to collect a 2-million-dollar contract for Wick's head, are knee-deep in savage close-quarters combat. It's the elaborate underground criminal world and scenes like this that keep John Wick from becoming another cliche action movie.

John Wick isn't a perfect film. There are occasional bits of cringe-worthy dialogue that border on hokey, even for a film like John Wick that purposefully never takes itself too seriously. And I won't say Keanu Reeves' performance was stellar, but his acting abilities are well-suited for a silent, reserved character like John Wick. However, we all know what a pig wearing lipstick is.

For me, John Wick turned out to be one of the better surprises from 2014, and I'm itching to watch it again.

Lucy (2014)

Watching this movie, I couldn't help thinking about the Bradley Cooper/Robert Deniro film Limitless about a guy who has the supernatural ability to use a huge percentage of his brain to mind boggling results.

This movie takes that idea, pits the gorgeous Scarlet Johansson opposite Morgan Freeman, and goes to the next level, turning the hero into a robot-like killing machine.

Let's just say Limitless is a much better film as far as premise, acting, and overall execution goes.

The Fire Within (1963)

I'd like to watch this again in the near future because I think I could get much more out of it. It's certainly very well made with an excellent lead performance, and I found it to be quite intimate and real. Slow, but captivating; it's definitely a movie that I admire.

Good Noir.

The performances were good and unlike most "person accidentally doing something and is wanted by bad guys
(Ex. Hitchcock films like Man who Knew Too Much or North by Northwest) the film is more about talking and for lack of a better term, the characters plotting on what will happen next.

The Fire Within (1963)

I'd like to watch this again in the near future because I think I could get much more out of it. It's certainly very well made with an excellent lead performance, and I found it to be quite intimate and real. Slow, but captivating; it's definitely a movie that I admire.

I'm glad you liked it

Death and the Maiden (1994) - Roman Polanski

Vintage Polanski...Always considered early Polanski much superior...but this one's a gem...best of Polanski after 90. Very simple story and minimalist treatment, but keeps one interested till the end. great performances...In my book, the 4th best of Polanski, after Knife in the Water, Repulsion and Chinatown...worth it

8.5 out of 10

Sanjuro (1962) - Akira Kurosawa

Another gem of Kurosowa...probably better than Yojimbo, and that's no easy feat...top notch entertainment

8.5 out of 10

The Road

Black Sheep

Saints & Soldiers

Street Kings

Duplicity

Maleficent

Lucy

The Equalizer

Fantasic Four

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Constantine