Donnie Darko

→ in
Tools    

Um Bungo! Um Bungo!
I know nothing about this film, but the plot outline seemed cool when I was downloading it, now I've lost my movie dump and stuck really wanting to see it but I don't think it even has a release date pencilled in for us poor brits not even a mention in any of the film magazines at any point in time

Does anyone have any info? News? Reviews? Anything? God I hate this ****ty little island

Fez-

I just saw DD last night, and I thought it was incredible, in many ways. The story is tight, the acting most excellent (Jake Gyllenhaal in particular was brilliant), and the execution of the twisty, spooky plot was always surprising and riveting. I sound like an Ebert clone right there, but it's true...

How much do you want to know? What kinds of things are you curious about? Let me know--I don't want to give away things that you don't want to know.

The Girl In The Know,
Mary Lo

Um Bungo! Um Bungo!
Cheers Mary Lo, that's all I wanted to know

I don't really want to know the plot, just want to know whether it's good or not... and whether it's big or not, the better it does in the states the more likely it is I'm going to get to see it here

oh and one other thing... is it one of those "have to see on the big screen" or would a 19" inch monitor also be equally as good? cause it could very well be a long wait before i get it here...

I don't really think it is all that popular, but it is a hell of a good movie. Mary is right about Jake Gyllenhaal (who played Donnie Darko), he was excellent in his role; perfectly awkward.

The big screen would have been nice with this movie, but as long as you can watch it in a quiet and dark place, you can't go wrong.

I second that emotion, MM.

Gyllenhaal reminds me of a Tobey Maguire gone psycho (psycho in a harmless, tormented way, but psycho nonetheless). Now that I've seen what he can really do, I'm looking for other movies he's in (with the exception of Bubble Boy). He's in a new movie with Jennifer Aniston--that one might bear watching...

W-w-w-w-wow!!!! Me love. Wonderful movie.

It's definitely one of the best movies I've seen this year--and I'm buying it on DVD this summer (I'd buy it now if I had the money to spare). It's one for the library.

Um Bungo! Um Bungo!
omg! it's out on dvd? you didn't say! I presumed that if it's in the cinema it wouldn't be on...

that's all in the past now, awaiting delivery

also grabbing mulholland drive while i'm at it

In England, it was released just over a year ago at Cinemas nationwide, but I never fancied it due to it's poor responce according to the US box office charts, plus, to be honest, I thought it looked aload of garbage.

My Dad recently got it on DVD, nothing was on so I thought i'd give it ago, little did I know Donnie Darko was one of the best films i've ever seen, maybe an over the top react you may think, but I honestly think it is fantastic. One of the reasons I liked it so much was due to how different it was compared to other films.

Anybody else enjoy it as much as I did?

Hi, and welcome to the Mofo... There is a discussion about Donnie Darko located HERE you might be interested in...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
HERE you might be interested in...

I found that thread more interesting then some of the movies i have seen latley. That movie sounds interesting too (ive never heard of it before )

Donnie Darko is one amazing film alright! The first time I ever watched it was about a year ago and it never ceases to amaze me. The plot is beautifuly structered, how everything is connected in someway or another. I've now watched it about ten time over and it still isn't boring. You should have never doubted its brilliance rjmcfc86. Definitely a 5 out of 5 since its up there with the best.

By the way rjmcfc86, have you seen the deleted scenes. Worth a look since it gives a better idea of the whole concept.

Originally Posted by The Dark Knight
By the way rjmcfc86, have you seen the deleted scenes. Worth a look since it gives a better idea of the whole concept.
No not yet, I hardly do watch the extras on the DVDs I own but I will certainly have a look with Donnie Darko. Thanks for the input.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by rjmcfc86
No not yet, I hardly do watch the extras on the DVDs I own but I will certainly have a look with Donnie Darko. Thanks for the input.

This is just such an interesting and thought provoking film. Every time I watch it I come away with something new and rewarding.

I also remember the director saying something about Donnie being a superhero on the commentary track, I know I read a few posts questioning this.

-S

Time travel, quantum physics, theology, Christina Appelgate, ^^$&ing Christina Appelgate. And his kinda hot sister from Secretary. What else could a mind bendin movie fan want.

I ****ing Love Donnie Darko, my best film ever!

"28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, 12 seconds....... That is when the world will END" - Donnie Darko (2001)

I am having a nervous breakdance
I saw this film for the first time a couple of nights ago and I liked it very much.

Hmmmm... Don't know what more to say.

What do you guys think of the ending? Was the whole thing just some way of his life passing by as it is said to do when you are about to die? Only that instead of his life passing by, his brain somehow projected events that could have been on/in a dream in Donnie's head?

....eh.... know what I mean?

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Check out this thread.

My post in particular.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Check out this thread.

My post in particular.
Hmmmm... I don't know, man. I have only seen this film once and I need to see it again to be able to really throw myself into that discussion. But my theory is that Donnie is a very lonely guy. He is afraid of dying alone, he says that in the movie. I think the film is kind of a dream from the point when Donnie takes his pills, goes to sleep and meets Frank for the first time (do I remember it correctly?). I think "the dream" is Donnie's way of dealing with his fear of dying alone. His brain, possibly influenced by the drugs he's given, is processing things in his life and making things allright in time for his death - and Donnie dies with a smile on his face (didn't he?). Alone, but believing he wasn't (his girlfriend).

There are a few things in your post, Brian, that I hadn't thought about though. E.g. the way that everybody seemed to stop for a second when the jet engine goes through the roof the second time.

I think I saw this film a lot more as being about youth loneliness and apathy then I saw it as a sci-fi adventure. But, as I said, I have to see it again before I can really comment on your thoughts about it, Bri. But I have to tell you, I hadn't even begun to think about that stuff before I read your post. Talk about seeing things differently...

The music in the film was very good too. That song "Mad World" in the end was so beautiful. And "Love Will Tear Us Apart" with Joy Division is always a brilliant move.

After reading evrything in that thread again, I think that Greppin did summarize it better. The whole thing is that it isn't a dream though, the town is in a tangent universe and only Donnie can set things straight. The fun of it being his working through it and finally having the answer at the end. If he doesn't sacrifice himself, then they're all toast. I bet when the Director's cut comes out, it will be more easily defined.