The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies

Tools    

In the Beginning...
I'm not really a source purist, either. In Fellowship, for example, I had no beef with Arwen replacing Glorfindel or Tom Bombadil and the Barrow Downs being cut. But the films should be consistent.

Suffice it to say, Peter Jackson doesn't do so well when he strays far from the source material. He becomes more formulaic, more derivative, more profit-driven. Even the dialogue suffers: it "sounds" like Tolkien's writing, but just doesn't have the same spirit. Some of Gandalf's lines in the new films make him seem like a caricature of himself. Everything has to be declarative and revelatory. Where is the personality? Where is the inquisitiveness?

I guess I just feel like these films have become a cash grab. They follow the formula on the surface level, but ignore the actual words Tolkien wrote. I don't think it's a coincidence that Fellowship is far and away the best one of the series, and also bears the closest resemblance to Tolkien's book. But it was also made at a time of uncertainty: nobody knew it would be a huge success. Since then, the films have taken great pains to pander to blockbuster conventions: archetypal characters, predictable plot beats, contemporary jokes, an ever-growing extravaganza of CGI.

As it happens, I like Tauriel. I thought she fit in well in some respects. But the romance angle is really bizarre and the "penis size" gag in Desolation (in the jail scene) is totally off-base with what Tolkien's story is. It just takes you right out of the world the previous films have established. That's what bothers me most.

A system of cells interlinked
Yeah, those are all great points. I guess when I try to distill it down to why I enjoyed the second one more, it comes down to it being a lot more entertaining for me in the end; the pacing was better, and as Yoda mentioned, the dragon was pretty bad ass. I don't think any of the Hobbit flicks are on a level with LotR, by the way. The newer films do feel like a cash grab in some ways, and sadly, that is a trajectory most franchises end up on these days. What can ya do!

Does anyone else feel like the excitement level for this movie is about 10% of what it was for return of the king?

Are we seeing now the results of the problems that plagued this trilogy at the time when del Toro was on board?

It just feels like, with such a good and simple story like the Hobbit, it would be hard to go wrong and that excitement would always be high. I guess taking a small book and making it 3 long movies can smash out some of that excitement. Regardless, I'm hoping this last film deliver at least a touch of the LOTR films.

I haven't watched the Hobbit films - a complaint though I heard from a friend is that they're stretching out a single book into 3 separate movies.

When I think about that, that's kind of odd considering that they covered the entire LOTR trilogy in 3 films. Does this mean they're taking a lot of liberties as far as the plot's concerned, or are they still managing to follow The Hobbit book pretty closely - just curious.

Thank God, I discovered someone apart from me who hasn't watched the Hobbit movies! This fact elicits strange unbelieving looks whenever I tell people that neither have I read the books, nor watched any of the movies.

I haven't watched any of them neither.

As for stretching out one single book into three films, the films take more than just the book. They use the appendices as well. I might catch them eventually but I'm not in any rush. Maybe when I get my X-Box One I'll pop in a blu-ray version one day and check it out.

I understand it's supposed to be like a kids movie, w/e.. but man these things irked me.
It was just too unrealistic, people falling hundreds of feet and bouncing around like a plinko machine then don't even have a scratch on them.

Also it's just not epic.. it's not ABOUT anything. There is no subtext.
The first trilogy was all about addiction. This one is just.. fluff

I played around with editing the first two hobbit movies and they each ended up at just under 2 hours.

It's actually improved them quite a bit, but I haven't watched it all the way through. It's funny how much more I can appreciate the good scenes now that the bad ones are gone.

There is no troll turning to stone scene. Less goblin king, a faster escape. No tree climbing, no eagles, no manbeardude. The barrel scene doesn't have any of the cartoon CGI. All the river town drama is gone. Smog doesn't have any stupid lines now, he talks just enough instead of too much. The fights that are left look really cool and aren't bogged down by the more boring choreography.

Kind of makes me want to see the third movie now!

Well I caved! I haven't been to a movie theater since the avengers but I wanted to check out what this 48FPS stuff was all about. So I went and watched it in HFR 3D. Wow!!! ALL ACTION MOVIES need to film this way. The fights were incredibly smooth, it definitely made a difference when people were quickly swinging their swords, etc.

And the 3d! I missed avatar in theaters due to a huge snow storm followed by apathy. Tried watching a few 3d films and they were all terrible.

This one had fantastic 3D. It made the cinematography more beautiful than is otherwise possible.
I must say I really enjoyed the experience.

None of these films are great in comparison to the LOTR. But I loved how well the ending tied into it.

WARNING: "Spoiler after Spoiler, just some of my thoughts and complaints on some aspects of the film" spoilers below
I really liked the first 2 hobbits but this last one was easily the worst of the 3. The effects sucked compared to even the original trilogy which is sad because those movies are over 10 years old. At the beginning, ending the Smaug story BEFORE THE OPENING CREDITS, that was the first big red flag when i watched this film. They should of ended the second one AFTER Smaug was defeated, it literally would of only added not even 10 mins to the second film,, i thought they would spend about 20-30 mins on Smaug or at least more than 5 mins but nope. Some of the stuff in this movie was just not needed and some characters died that shouldn't of or their deaths were easily foreshadowed beforehand(In my opinion, i could see Thorin's death coming from a mile away), and some didn't that i thought should of (Tauriel should of, nothing against the Evangeline or the character it just made sense that she should of died, since she lived she honestly should of been a part of the Fellowship, i don't think Legolas would of let her go off on her own or she would of stayed by his side). The biggest thing was Thorin's madness was handle decently but it could of been a whole lot better. The scene from the second movie where he turns his sword on Bilbo for a few moments is a good example of him becoming mad like his predecessors from the treasure within Erebor. In this film he instantly becomes crazy right after Smaug is defeated which was way too fast, in my opinion they should of spent a little bit more of the film building up to it. Have to say one of my fav scenes which kind of didn't add up with the LOTR was when Gandalf, Gladerial, Elrond and Saruman fight Sauron and the nine. They seemed kind of surprised in LOTR when The ring was found and Sauron became powerful once again even though they just fought against him 50 years earlier. If just felt weird. And they should of been prepared if they knew Sauron was still out there. Now don't get me wrong, it was still a pretty good movie and definitely not one of the worst but out of all 6 Middle Earth movies it is the worst. Most of the cast was still great even if the movie itself lack a little bit. My favorite part of the film was easily the last scene where it shows Bilbo answering the door and it being Gandalf, one of the first scenes from the first Lord of the Rings film but shown from Bilbo's angle, that part really got to me when you hear Gandalf say "And what about very old friends?"