Movie Tab II

Tools    

I would seriously question your wits.
There's no reason to make this personal. Just accept that he didn't like it at all and move on.

In any case, boredom is as valid a reason to dislike something as any other and everybody uses a different set of criteria when determining their ratings.

Still haven't seen Shakespeare. It has never peaked my interest. That or English Patient.
I've not seen it since release, but I quite liked it.

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope
I've not seen it since release, but I quite liked it.
I might try both soon. They are streaming on Netflix.

This is what I like.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God, Amelie, Andrei Rublev, The Battleship Potemkin, Beauty and the Beast, Belle de Jour, Black Rain, Black Sabbath, Blue, Blue Velvet, Branded to Kill, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Chungking Express, The City of Lost Children, A Clockwork Orange, Come and See, The Conformist, Cranes Are Flying, Delicatessen, The Devil's Backbone, Diabolique, Do the Right Thing, The Draughtsman's Contract, Ecstasy, Eraserhead, Europa, Eyes Without a Face, The Face of Another, Fallen Angels, Faust, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, In the Mood for Love, Intacto, Irreversible, Lagaan, The Lair of the White Worm, Last Year at Marienbad, Memento, Mother Joan of the Angels, Mulholland Dr., Naked Lunch, The Pawnbroker, Repulsion, Requiem for a Dream, Shoot the Piano Player, Trainspotting, Un Chien Andalou, The Unknown, Vampyr, Woman in the Dunes.
Nice list. It's odd then that all you saw in WH was people walking around for 145 minutes when there was so much more depth to it. Oh well, each to their own.

Why do people take other people's negative opinions and ratings of movies they like so personal?

Minio started out great with that simple post where he said, "stop watching movies," but then it went south like mayo on a hot day.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Mkay, I see I cannot neither convince you, or get any other reason than boredom from you.

I hope I didn't offend you.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
There's no reason to make this personal. Just accept that he didn't like it at all and move on.

In any case, boredom is as valid a reason to dislike something as any other and everybody uses a different set of criteria when determining their ratings.
But why were you bored? What didn't you like about the film in particular?

(Some of you will get this joke)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Nostradamus and the Queen (No Director Listed, 1942)
-
Five Star Final (Mervyn LeRoy, 1931)

What a Bozo! (James Parrott, 1931)

Bernie (Richard Linklater, 2011)
+

Asst. funeral director Jack Black has loads of friends and participates in teaching classes and church activities, but he finds himself embroiled in murder.
Hot Pepper (Les Blank, 1973)

The Sid Saga Part 1 (Sid Laverents, 1985)

The Sid Saga Part 2 (Sid Laverents, 1987)

The Sid Saga Part 3 (Sid Laverents, 1989)

Sid Laverants narrates and puts together a series of biographical documentary shorts about his parents’ coming to America and his many careers as a one-man band, store owner, painter, husband and father.
Flowers of Darkness (William Templeton, 1972)

Sleepers West (Eugene Forde, 1941)

The House on Telegraph Hill (Robert Wise, 1951)

Salem’s Lot (Tobe Hooper, 1979)
-

In the town of Salem’s Lot, Maine, mysterious happenings occur around a home which is ultimately found by neighbor Lance Kerwin to house vampire Reggie Nalder.
Gross Anatomy (Thom Eberhardt)
+
Neptune’s Daughter (Edward Buzzell, 1949)

Martin Block’s Musical Merry-Go-Round #3 (Jack Scholl, 1948)
+
The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (Nathan Juran, 1958)

The centaur-cyclops decides to barbecue one of Sinbad’s men on a crazy island of monsters.
Torrent (Monta Bell, 1926)

Happy Times and Jolly Moments (James Bloodworth, 1943)

Camel Spiders (Jim Wynorski, 2011)

Limelight (Charles Chaplin, 1952)

Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin get made up in preparation for the tribute to Chaplin’s character Calvero.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
This is what I like.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God, Amelie, Andrei Rublev, The Battleship Potemkin, Beauty and the Beast.....
Wait a minute, you're telling me that Beauty and the Beast is art house?

All these years I've been feuding with the art house mafia and it turns out I'm actually a connoisseur of the exact type of films they love.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on Bernie, Mark. I wouldn't necessarily say I disagree with your rating, I thought it was a very strange film, a fascinating blend of actingand documentary that I wasn't sure what emotions I was supposed to show towards. Jack Black is great though.

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope
I enjoyed Bernie quite a bit. I think I ranked it about a star higher than Mark, which means we enjoyed it about the same I think. I thought the characters were great and the narrative was very engaging. IMDB pissed me off because they gave away the big moment in their plot synopsis. I noticed they have changed it since. Not my favorite Linklater but certainly a good one.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I've actually seen the Loner list, the full list. It was pretty good. Think I lost it, though. Damn inbox limits.
Me too! Doesn't matter, it's probably changed

Mkay, I see I cannot neither convince you, or get any other reason than boredom from you.

I hope I didn't offend you.
Didn't offend me.

Wait a minute, you're telling me that Beauty and the Beast is art house?

All these years I've been feuding with the art house mafia and it turns out I'm actually a connoisseur of the exact type of films they love.

Pretty sure I meant this.

La Belle Et La Bęte

I really don't know what to say about Bernie. It's modestly entertaining, amusing in its use of townsfolk "interviews" to reveal the appearance of Bernie's life, very awkward in the depiction of the shooting and trial and Bernie's reaction to it all. I know Bernie is out now, basically in the custody of Linklater, so I guess what I see as awkwardness in the film may also be seen as awkwardness in the justice system dealing with this case. Black is good, but I'm still not sure who Bernie is and why he does anything that he does, so in that way it is more like a doc with a subject who's not especially forthcoming.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic JayDee, but I think he's probably referring to the '46 version.
Now I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. Surely you don't think I actually believed it was the Disney version he was talking about. Just how daft do you think I am? I mean give me a little credit.

I Wanna Be Loved By You
Blade Runner (1982), Dir. Ridley Scott -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to Train Your Dragon (2010), Dir. Dean DeBlois & Chris Sanders -
+

So cute

A Vitaphone Pictorial Revue No. 2-10 (Ira Genet, 1938)

A Night at the Opera (Sam Wood, 1935)
+
Live, Love and Learn (Geo. Fitzmaurice, 1937)

Jezebel (William Wyler, 1938)

Southern belle Bette Davis makes lots of poor decisions in her attempts to control the men in her life.
Body Parts (Eric Red, 1991)
+
Carnival Day (Ralph Staub, 1936)

The Big Street (Irving Reis, 1942)
+
Ravenous (Antonia Bird, 1999)

Robert Carlyle was in a wagon train that got trapped in the Sierra Nevadas and resorted to cannibalism to survive. When he turns up at a fort just after officer Guy Pearce does, it becomes apparent how responsible he was.
Calling All Pa's (Will Jason, 1942)
-
The Dentist (Brian Yuzna, 1996)

The Dentist II (Brian Yuzna, 1998)
-
Romeo and Juliet (George Cukor, 1936)

Friar Henry Kolker marries Romeo (Leslie Howard) and Juliet (Norma Shearer) without their parents’ permission !?!?!
Plucking the Daisy (Marc Allegret, 1956)
-
Une parisienne (Michel Boisrand, 1957)

The Night Heaven Fell (Roger Vadim, 1958)

...And God Created Woman (Roger Vadim, 1956)

Sex kitten Brigitte Bardot loves Christian Marquand who dumps her, but his younger brother Jean-Louis Trintignant marries her, while wealthy businessman Curd Jürgens remains a third option.
Contempt aka Le Mepris (Jean-Luc Godard, 1963)

Dear Brigitte (Henry Koster, 1965)

Hold That Kiss (Edwin L. Marin, 1938)

Now, Voyager (Irving Rapper, 1942)

Unhappily-married Paul Henreid makes love to blossoming ugly duckling Bette Davis by lighting both their cigarettes at once.

Werckmeister harmóniák is a pretty great film. Granted, it's not for all tastes and it might be contingent on the viewer's mood. Same goes for Apichatpong Weerasethakul's films.