Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Brimming with rififi!
I give it about the same rating, maybe a bit less, good, but not great.

On another note I wanted to say how cool your top ten was, and your avatar, great film

Thanks, man. I appreciate the compliment!

Decent.

Gosford Park was a decent murder mystery with a large cast and intricate plot. I enjoyed it for the most part, but I found that there were far too many characters and it was hard to keep up. I kind of liked that the actual murder doesn't happen until about half way through the movie, giving you time to analyze the characters before it happens. As soon as it happened, I knew who did it though, and it wasn't that unpredictable for me who did it. What was unpredictable was why they did it. Despite predicting who did it, I found that there were still some good twists leading up to the big reveal and I was surprised at times. Acting was great all around, but there were far too many characters and interweaving plot lines I just couldn't keep up. I enjoyed it for the most part though.

Fire walk with me.

Weird, massive tonal shifts at the drop of a hat, going from goofy comedy to suspense and horror in the blink of an eye. But while some of the comedy is weird and out of place at times, much of it does work and the horror sections work really well and it does create a pretty unique flick.

The Elephant Man (1980)

Excellent film with good emotion like everyone says. As far as the Lynch I have now seen, I'd rank it behind The Straight Story and Blue Velvet, about even with Mulholland Dr., ahead of Wild at Heart, and way ahead of Eraserhead.

Paranoia (2013)

A dull, predictable boring film that uses technology so much it hurts but at the same time simply doesn't make sense a lot of the time. It's not stated but I am sure this was sponsored by Apple. It was like a mixture of "Anti-Trust" & "Enemy of State" without the whimsy.

My review: 1/10

Paranoia (2013)

A dull, predictable boring film that uses technology so much it hurts but at the same time simply doesn't make sense a lot of the time. It's not stated but I am sure this was sponsored by Apple. It was like a mixture of "Anti-Trust" & "Enemy of State" without the whimsy.

My review: 1/10
Sounds about right.

The Elephant Man (1980)

Excellent film with good emotion like everyone says. As far as the Lynch I have now seen, I'd rank it behind The Straight Story and Blue Velvet, about even with Mulholland Dr., ahead of Wild at Heart, and way ahead of Eraserhead.

You made it tough for me to give you a , with that Eraserhead comment

Eraserhead is top tier Lynch
I can see that, but so are all the movies I compared it to, except for Wild at Heart, which just suits my taste better than Eraserhead.

I can see that, but so are all the movies I compared it to, except for Wild at Heart, which just suits my taste better than Eraserhead.
It represents a symbol of your individuality, and your belief in personal freedom.

A must watch tv series House of cards

Nightmare Alley (1947)

This perfectly executed, but very unusual film noir is a MUST SEE for fans of the genre. The film offers us an interesting look into the life of a very talented and extremely ambitious mentalist. The film is carried by a fantastic performance from Tyrone Power and it also features a wonderful supporting cast. It's a great character study, but the film's plot is also very entertaining to follow. I myself have always been pretty interested in the world of "magic" and this film's story takes place in a dark part of that world. It tells about a man who abuses his "gift" for mere profit. To gain more profit, he has to take the "illusion" further and further and he has to deceive people in increasingly crueler manners. At a certain point there's a scene in which he deceives someone using a whole new dimension. It's one of the most haunting and strangely beautiful film moments I've seen in a long time. Very intense stuff.

The last ten minutes are a bit more "rushed" and I predicted to which everything would eventually lead, but it's not at all a bad ending. Everything comes full circle and narratively it makes perfect sense. I guess I just wanted the movie to go on, because I was so taken by it.

+

It's a noir classic. Watch it.

Okay movie, I really enjoyed the first 45 minutes, but the ending really disappointed me.

So much talent in this movie.

Entertaining movie, but the ending was once again disappointing.

3 Godfathers (1948)

Saw this in its completion for the first time the other night. While it's not classic John Wayne/John Ford, it's very entertaining and well worth watching. The struggle through the desert is made to feel very realistic. I was very thirsty after watching it.

The Bib-iest of Nickels

Her is an example of a film that I was excited for and deeply disappointed when it didn't come to theaters near me. I watched the film with a little bit of uncertainty. There was critical-acclaim but enough pessimism from some to make me think that it might be one of 'those' films that others like, but I find to be an absolute bore-fest.

Lo and behold, I ended up actually loving the film. I thought it was funny, sweet, charming, well-written, and well-acted. I wrote an in-depth review on my website which is available in the signature.

The Descendants is a film that I went into without any care at all whatsoever. I thought it would be bad. I am happy to say that following Her, this is another rare film that I thought actually succeeded with its serious and emotional storytelling. The key is that both films incorporate enough humor and personality to let it have life. This movie really shows a human-side of things, and anyone who has lost a loved one and been in the hospital to say goodbye knows how a lot of this feels. Good flick. I'll have a review up about it tomorrow.

Ratings:
Her: Great
The Descendants: Great

---
I also watched The Crazies, Bling Ring, and Blood Widow.... none of which were good, but I like the optimism of this post!