Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Dirty Dancing

Very inspiring to dance but I don't know.It has this cheesiness of the 80s

Hmmm. Coming Home looks like something I'd like and Cricket liked it. I might give that a watch.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Good on ya, edarsenal, for watching Dinner at Eight and My Man Godfrey and giving them good reviews. You must be watching Turner Classic Movies lately because that's exactly where I recorded and watched these exact two from last week.

Yes, Marie Dressler is dynamite in DAE, with her little dog, "Tarzan," and her dialogue, especially her final shot at Jean Harlow. Great movie and one the few movies I've seen with John Barrymore that wasn't a silent. Just saying. For those who only know his brother, Lionel Barrymore, from It's a Wonderful Life as a bad guy, check this one out or one of his many, many roles as a good guy. He could play anything.

My gosh, My Man Godfrey, I thought was just a great movie. It's a comedy but it didn't have me falling down laughing but just smiling in awe at how great everybody was. William Powell, one of my favorites from The Thin Man movies, was excellent in this but I was blown away by Carole Lombard as the ditsy youngest daughter of the family. The fact that she was beautiful was a plus, also. Did you happen to hear the opening by Robert Osbourne, where he talked about the past relationship between Powell and Lombard? Fascinating trivia.

absolutely, we've seen both multiple times and my roommate LOOVES powell, so we've seen countless movies of his ( he does love to wear his pajamas and his drinks in many of them lol). And yes, we always check TCM for all our classics and love listening to Osborne, and we did catch the fact that they had been divorced for 3 years when they did this.
I remember seeing one with Osborne and Drew Barrymore talking about her grandfather John, the movie Dinner at Eight and others.
And very true about Lionel, loved him in another Capra film You Can't Take it With You which had several side actors that would eventually play in It's A Wonderful Life
And I agree, Dressler's side remarks and the looks she makes are the delightful definition of sheer droll!

Morituri / Saboteur: Code Name Morituri (1965)
A very impressive "spy" flick set during WWII with marlon brando as a german demolition expert who is forced to discreetly search out and dismantle an unknown amount of bombs on a german ship carrying 7000 lbs of rubber and captained by yul brynner, so that the allied forces can take it without the ship being destroyed by the captain.
I've never heard of this one and it was an incredible find. It is tense, unflinching and it does not tread gently when it comes to those aboard this ship; which you find out with the opening placard: "Morituri te salutant is Latin for the salute gladiators gave at the beginning to every fight in the arena. Those who are about to die, salute you."

Morituri / Saboteur: Code Name Morituri (1965)
A very impressive "spy" flick set during WWII with marlon brando as a german demolition expert who is forced to discreetly search out and dismantle an unknown amount of bombs on a german ship carrying 7000 lbs of rubber and captained by yul brynner, so that the allied forces can take it without the ship being destroyed by the captain.
I've never heard of this one and it was an incredible find. It is tense, unflinching and it does not tread gently when it comes to those aboard this ship; which you find out with the opening placard: "Morituri te salutant is Latin for the salute gladiators gave at the beginning to every fight in the arena. Those who are about to die, salute you."

Sounds great. Will add this to my 'to watch' list. Thanks.

Glad you at least liked Coming Home, Captain Spaulding. A drama like that is so much harder to recommend to someone than an action or comedy film. It's just impossible to tell who will connect with the characters. Nice write-up on Out of the Furnace btw; I'm looking forward to that one.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Thank you. It's definitely one for my list of top sixties when we get to it lol
There's a great line in the beginning of the movie: when brando's character tells a british officer that: "You're a cold b@stard," and he responds glibly: "I come from a cold little island."
I was hooked from then on,

The Butterfly Effect by Eric Bress and J. Mackye Gruber

a GREAT movie . Really well done btw i don't really understand why the critics don't like this film ... for me it'S completely one of a kind and very amazing. Ashton Kutcher surprise me in this one . I highly recommand it

9.2/10

I have a few
Cap America The Winter Soldier: 8/10
Gridiron Gang: 7.5/10
Catch Me If You Can: 9/10

As far as modern horror films go, Oculus is somewhat a breath of fresh air. It has an original plot involving a haunted mirror.

Good execution on this one. I recommend it.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

It took me forever to see this one and finally got around to it last night. I admit I was hesitant to see it because of it being rebooted so soon after the first trilogy. But Spider-Man was always pretty much my favorite comic-book character growing up, and The Lizard was my favorite of Spidey's villains. I was disappointed that the character of Curt Connors was included in the films but never got to display his alter-ego. So, I was very glad to see him here. Plus, the essential characters of Gwen Stacy and her father. I was surprised how much I enjoyed this as they did the origin story again. But it was done with enough originality that it worked for me. I'm looking very forward to the sequel coming out.

We had a Marvel night at the cinema so finally got to see both

Captain America 9/10
Spiderman 8.5/10

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide

Straight Time (1978, Ulu Grosbard)

Considering its reputable cast, I was surprised more people hadn't heard of this film. This is an fervent character study, examining the role of a former convict in the sprawled out megalopolis of Los Angeles. What begins as a fairly restrained and engrossing piece, told much in the veins of Taxi Driver and Scarecrow, with that very distinctive 70s touch of American filmmaking, unfortunately transpired into a deficiently paced, fairly uneven film. Great performances and the proficient technical presence behind the camera put aside, this film did not have any 'real' story at its core, lacking this degree of existentialism and social pertinence that felt so apparent in its opening few acts. It's a good film, but considering the cast and its general premise, it had a lot of potential, therefore rendering it as a fairly exasperating viewing.

Tony (2009)

Worth a watch if a gritty British film about a serial killer interests you. The lead actor is very good, going back and forth from meek to scary. It's just ok but does have some chilling moments.

Tony (2009)

Worth a watch if a gritty British film about a serial killer interests you. The lead actor is very good, going back and forth from meek to scary. It's just ok but does have some chilling moments.
I love this film. I randomly purchased it some years back on DVD, and found it chillingly authentic. Minimalist horror at some of its best, in my opinion.

I love this film. I randomly purchased it some years back on DVD, and found it chillingly authentic. Minimalist horror at some of its best, in my opinion.
Maybe I should watch it again because I was very tired. I did think think it was quite realistic and the 85 minute running time makes it easy to sit through.

Maybe I should watch it again because I was very tired. I did think think it was quite realistic and the 85 minute running time makes it easy to sit through.
I'm a sucker for these type of horror films, and I went in with absolutely no expectations, so I probably enjoyed it more than most. I just recall being very impressed with its minimalist approach, something that feels almost disregarded upon in horror cinema today.

Ghost (1990)

Really not my type of film,it was kind of boring but I loved Whoopi in it. "You're in danger,girl" haha DD

Tony (2009)

I watched this a few months back, and I think it's fantastic. I was drawn to it mainly based on the fact that Matt Johnson - a favourite musician of mine from the band The The - composed its soundtrack. Based on the real-life killings of Dennis Nilsen as far as I can tell, and it's chilling in how it shows serial killers to be part of everyday life. You never know who you're talking to.