The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
I've only played one real stinker this year but here's the five games I enjoyed the least released this year.

Chaos Engine - Needless HD remaster of an old shooter. You could get the same effect by playing the original through an emulator and picking the worst scaling option at your disposal.

SimCity - I actually put 30+ hours into this but I'm guessing at least half of the time was spent making dinner/hanging out washing while SimCity whirred away in the background. What makes this a poor game (along with the well-reported criticisms) is that I'd come back from eating/bathing/speaking at The UN etc and the game would still have progressed nicely (and I'd be making tons of money, no matter how badly I treated my populace). My input was not required...

Thomas Was Alone - Kill the Indie darling! Kill it! 2013 was the year that I got tired of the puzzle platformer and while Thomas Was Alone probably wasn't the worst example of this, it had one massive negative that its competitors did not: Danny Effing Wallace.

If his presence in Thomas Was Alone wasn't enough, Danny Effing Wallace is also immortalised in the Assassins Creed games. His smug face even joins his smug voice in Brotherhood.

Antichamber - A series of dick moves dressed up like a trendy Portal. Ugh.

The Bureau Colon XCOM Declassified - The only utter stinker I spent money on. I pre-ordered it, in fact.

Want to cash in on Enemy Unknown's justified success? Make an XCOM game as a lame 3rd person cover shooter (enough to make me barf on its own) with tacked-on (and really unwieldy) squad commands.

That's how a lunatic would do it, anyway... It's also how Declassified plays.

It's like the devs sat down and said "What's everyone's favourite part in the Mass Effect games? Yep, the squad mechanic!"

I've got half a mind to put Catherine on the list too but I didn't actually pay for it (Playstation+ saving me some money there) so it can escape.

EDIT - Y'know what? I occasionally bang on about the last Assassins Creed game that I was happy with being AC2. What happened in the next game? Danny Effing Wallace's face, that's what.

Here was me thinking that Ubisoft were merely milking a once genuinely interesting franchise dry by releasing one every year and diluting the game's heart with each successive iteration.

Duh. My bad.

The Bureau Colon XCOM Declassified - The only utter stinker I spent money on. I pre-ordered it, in fact.
Yeah, I've avoided that one. I saw a video and read a review or two and thought "ugh, that just looks awful." Thanks for the confirmation.

I honestly dunno why I pre-ordered the thing. Ok, it was £10 off with all the other old XCOM games bundled along with it - Great value, yeah, but I'd already heard a few negative comments from people in the know.

I've been debating whether to buy Wasteland 2 all weekend. It looks right up my ally but 30 quid for a (short) beta? The Eurogamer review isn't exactly glowing either...

Hopefully it'll change a lot for final release but I'm still tempted by the Early Access.

I can understand why you would. Good brand name, some strategic elements, and heck, I actually really love the retro timeframe. Feels like of like Fallout meets XCOM, which sounds amazing when you say it that way. Lots of surface reasons to be interested. Pity.

Meanwhile, I'm shocked that not only did I play through XCOM again (well, I'm about to finish it a second time, that is), but I'm weirdly content just going on with my squad and doing lots of otherwise repetitive missions rather than launch into the final one.

And oh, oh! I started The Walking Dead. Just as great as everyone says. A few irks here and there, but a handful of them have come from my own stubborn insistence on playing without as many UI hints (or anything that tells me when I'm making a consequential decision), which I feel like is the "purer" way to play the first time. But man, talk about a game that demands to be replayed...though I do worry that it's going to feel really, really slowing moving the second-time through.

Either way, great stuff. I've already purchased a season pass for The Wolf Among Us.

I can understand why you would. Good brand name, some strategic elements, and heck, I actually really love the retro timeframe. Feels like of like Fallout meets XCOM, which sounds amazing when you say it that way. Lots of surface reasons to be interested. Pity.

Meanwhile, I'm shocked that not only did I play through XCOM again (well, I'm about to finish it a second time, that is), but I'm weirdly content just going on with my squad and doing lots of otherwise repetitive missions rather than launch into the final one.
Yeah, the thing the game has going for it is the aesthetic - As you say, it's Fallout-meets-XCOM.

Talking turn-based combat, apparently the biggest failing with the Wasteland (which was the inspiration for Fallout, lest we forget) 2 beta is that the combat is too simplistic. Hopefully it's just a placeholder rather than stylistic intent - XCOM EU and Shadowrun Returns have moved the genre on.

2014 might finally be the year that I get to pitch my video game themed movie to a major Hollywood producer. It's a screwball comedy set in the Elder Scrolls universe.

Dumb and Dunmer...

Sorry!

And oh, oh! I started The Walking Dead. Just as great as everyone says. A few irks here and there, but a handful of them have come from my own stubborn insistence on playing without as many UI hints (or anything that tells me when I'm making a consequential decision), which I feel like is the "purer" way to play the first time. But man, talk about a game that demands to be replayed...though I do worry that it's going to feel really, really slowing moving the second-time through.

Either way, great stuff. I've already purchased a season pass for The Wolf Among Us.
Lemme know what you think about Wolf Among Us. Hopefully Telltale aren't spreading themselves too thin with the whole 'next gen point & click' thing - They're doing a Borderlands and a Game of Thrones series too, as well as the next season of The Walking Dead and the remainder of Wolf Among Us.

The game The Novelist is finally out! I've downloaded it but haven't tried it yet. I want to give it some serious attention, and I haven't had quite enough brain space lately. I don't want to shortchange my experience.
What I've now seen of the gameplay makes it look intriguing. There's a nice little bit of footage here:

&feature=em-uploademail

If you like The Novelist, something else you might enjoy is Gone Home. It's not a game as such (you're a young woman back from college exploring her family home) but a big strand if the narrative is that dad's a writer who's not been successful - You can search around for little snippets as to why his career stalled.

I wouldn't pay anywhere near full price for it though. Anything over $4.99 would be too much, but the Steam winter sale is coming soon.

In other, startling news, I'm thinking seriously about starting a YouTube Let's Play channel. I know that the copyright thing has gone a bit mad recently on YouTube but I doubt if I'll get enough views to earn money from it anyway.

All I have is a good upload speed and an accent.

This is Fraps at high quality (and a 4GB file size for under 2 minutes footage) and I'm pretty disappointed. I capped the recording at 30fps because that's the maximum YouTube allows.

&feature=youtu.be

Gonna try Open Broadcasting Software tomorrow and if anyone knows of another free (or cheap, I can stretch to 'cheap' ) screen capture program, let me know.

Steam Winter sale now on!

Before parting with your money remember the first rule of a Steam sale - If you're after something in a daily deal but think it's still a bit too expensive, wait. It'll usually come on again at a lower price.

The flash sales are the ones with the rock bottom prices.

Assassin's Creed IV.

Watching some of the GOTY discussions on YouTube is interesting.

There seems to be a full-on circlejerk fraternity who aim their ... errr ... stuff at anyone who doesn't include The Last Of Us. The poor old Rev3 vloggers were getting crucified and Lord help anyone who didn't mention TLOU and Bioshock Infinite.

I had a good giggle when it came to Sessler's list - He included Bioshock and TLOU but made his GOTY Gone Home (despite it not even being a game, ho hum ), which left the comments section kinda stunned.

I might have to re-jig my list to include Race The Sun. It's phenomenally good at what it sets out to do, is dirt cheap even at full price and has a complete new set of levels every 24 hours. I was sitting in the top 100 leaderboard for a while but that seems to reset every day too.

Those circlejerks mean business! You don't want to get within a few feet of them and their fanboy ways! This time, I can confidently exclude the term "fangirl", since...yeah.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

My arms are outstretched as we speak.

Got plenty of other Roguelikes (or Roguelike-likes, to be pedantic) this year: Tales of Maj'Eyal (excellent), Dungeons of Dredmor (nearly as good), Rogue Legacy (good but frustrating), Delver (beautiful to look at but a bit uninspired beyond that) and probably a few more that I can't remember and have uninstalled.

XCOM: Enemy Within is now £9.99. I'm really tempted but can wait for it to drop another couple of quid.

There are some seriously good reductions in Triple A-ville this Steam sale:

Deus EX HR Director's Cut - £3.24
Far Cry 3 - £4.99
XCOM: EU - £7.49
Sleeping Dogs - £3.99
Crysis - £2.49
Skyrim - £7.49
Borderlands 2 - £6.79

Then there's the smaller games:

Fez - £1.74
Binding of Isaac - 99p
Trine - 69p (worth a place in everyone's collection at that price, gorgeous little game)
Audiosurf - £1.19 (buy it and dethrone the world champ (me!) in 3 whole songs, only one of them by Julian Cope)

Then there's the best small download of them all - Super Amazing Wagon Adventure for £1.33!

Ahhhhh. Yeah, same. That's $15 USD and that's just still too much, from what I read about it. Plenty of other cool games to play in the meantime. I'm waiting for more like $7.50.

Yep, I got Starbound and Risk of Rain the other day and must explore them a bit more.

Starbound looks epic - Terraria in space (same guy did the art for both games) basically but it's early access (which I'm not touching again) and buggy as flip right now. Risk of Rain has a fantastic soundtrack but is an evil, evil little game.

It's a Roguelike where the enemies increase in number and difficulty every few minutes.

Evil!

A system of cells interlinked
Thanks for the game, Taccy!

Got Dishonored for 3 bucks and change, and it's a great game, especially for that price. The graphics are a bit naff, but they work in a painterly way. Really cool powers etc., and a decent story so far. I need to squeeze some game time in during this busy week....

there's a frog in my snake oil
Gonna try Open Broadcasting Software tomorrow and if anyone knows of another free (or cheap, I can stretch to 'cheap' ) screen capture program, let me know.
I still haven't got to the capture stage in my own Youtube=Profit plans, and on Mac so prob different (apparently I can use Quicktime, but have to record audio separately). Also, by current estimates, I'm set to make about a £1 for every hour invested . But....

I do remember from previous PC adventures that it helps to record the vid file straight to an external drive for some reason. Worth a go if you're not already.

And oi! Where's the accent in that vid?

Fraps is so invasive that my accent comes out funny. Slower.

My limited mucking about with OBS has resulted in audio but no video. I'm thinking one of those dedicated PCI capture cards would be best but no point going to that expense just yet.

I've just finished doing something which, if I'd had my thinking head on, should have been done a couple of weeks ago. Went down to GAME this morning with a rucksack full of XBOX games to trade, then packed up the 360 in its box.

Kept a few games so I can sell the whole thing as a bundle: 360, Official 360 Wheel, Forza 3, 4 and Horizon. Also GTA4, 5 and Red Dead Redemption. Plus controllers, play & charge kits, headsets, HDMIs etc.

It would have been a great Christmas present.

Traded the 360 games for Gran Turismo 6 - The arse seems to have fallen out of the last-gen market, even allowing for the awful prices GAME give you, now that the PS4 and Xbone are out.

Seds - It's great, yeah?