Adi's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Thanks Addie, Unfortunately my local video store is very limited when it comes to foreign films when i move into my new house I am going to get my movies delivered again so i may have better luck finding the movies you have reviewed

value
Tekkonkinkreet - Michael Arias (2006)

Tekkonkinkreet is the first anime directer by a foreigner, Michael Arias who also produced The Animatrix. It's based on the manga „Black and White“ written by Taiyo Matsumoto and tells the story of two young boys, Black and White who are a part of a gang called The Cats that controls Treasure town. Their reign is threatened by the reappearance of a Yakuza boss, and a strange entrepreneur Mr. Snake that wants to get rid of them so he can turn Fortune city into a major amusement park...

The story is a classic tale of good versus bad, light versus dark, progress versus traditional values etc. The script has certain weaknesses and is s a little difficult to follow at times ; the separation of the main characters seemed to have come out of the blue and had no other purpose but to prolong the story, the appearance and motivation of certain characters ( Snake and his „goons“, the two kids that try to take over Treasure town at the beginning etc.) is a tad confusing.

The best part of this film is the animation. It's simply the most impressive and original anime I have seen in recent years . The very unique stylization is due to the idiosyncratic style of the original manga which the animators have done an exceptional job at transferring to the big screen.

Then there's the general tone of the film; despite the bright colours that dominate the majority of it, it is a very somber experience.
value
There is a palpable feeling of disillusionment with the modern world, visibly expressed through the character of Black; a quiet and aloof child, the older and more mature of the two, who is eventually driven to madness by the inevitable „progress“ and its irreversible consequences to Treasure town and his relationship with White, his opposite and moral anchor (the symbolism of their names being less than subtle). While Black represents the consequences of living in a modern day metropolis, the „uncorrupted“ (and at times annoyingly bratty if I may add) White represents the long lost innocence and soul of Treasure Town. In its finale, Tekkonkinkreet delves into metaphysics and psychodelia , much like its classic predecessor Akira (or according to some, 2001 A space oddissey) as the main character battles with his duplicity, which in turn, reflects the eternal struggle of good and bad in us all.

In short, despite its shortcomings, Tekkonkinkreet is a very enjoyable experience and a must see for any fan of Japanese animation. I rate it higher than Satoshi Kon's Paprika and that's saying something.

A system of cells interlinked
Cool review. I will check this one out when I get a chance...

Been a while since I sat down in front of an exceptional anime piece...

value
Izgnanie (The Banishment) - Andrei Zvyagintsev (2007)

This is the (personally) long awaited second feature from the russian director Zvyagintsev whose debut Vozvrashcheniye aka The Return won a plethora of awards in 2003 and is by my account one of the best films of the new millennium. It features the same lead actor as in The Return, Konstantin Lavronenko, who plays Alex, the father of two children and apparently a man mixed up in some "shady" business (this is implied more than explicitly stated). He decides to take his wife and children to his old house in the Russian countryside for a vacation. Soon after their arrival, his wife Vera breaks the illusion by announcing that she's pregnant but the child is not Alex's.

value
Let me begin by saying that this film was a huge disappointment. Obviously I'm a massive fan of The return so my expectations were enormous. Judging by the opening scenes, it seemed like Zvyagintsev had made another spectacular film; it opens with a beautiful wide shot of a car blazing through the Russian country side and into the rundown, post industrial, somewhat post apocalyptic Russian town (the scene of the car going through the town is somewhat reminiscent of Tarkovsky's Solarys). Driving it is Alex's wounded brother Mark, who is shot and needs Alex to help him. This beautifully shot intro is accompanied by some incredible, cold and atmospheric music, just like in The return.

Unlike The return however, where Lavronenko was perfect as the mysterious and ominous looking father, whose unpredictability kept you on edge throughout the film, the mystery surrounding Alex is lost in the utter shallow blandness of his character. He doesn't say or do much after the shocking news delivered by his wife, in fact, none of them do much in the first 90 minutes of the film except brood and look pensive. The two lead characters show and incredible (and frustrating) inability to communicate even the simplest of things, let alone resolve this obviously major turn of events. Instead of using this spectacular setting for an electrifying drama, Zvyagintsev chooses to bore us with irrelevant side characters and inconsequential distractions (such as the rather comic end of Alex's brother Mark). The painful dreariness of the plot (or the lack thereof) is somewhat relieved by the spectacular shots of the pastoral Russian countryside ( in the vein of Malick's Days of heaven). Sadly, I'd say the photography is pretty much the only redeeming aspect of this film.
value

It livens up a bit in the final stretch but by this time the incredibly uneventful (or shall we say "slow") development makes the final part of the film awkwardly out of sync with the tone and pacing of the previous hour and a half. Even if it does shed some light into the private universe of Vera, his wife, and the events that lead to a tragic ending, it's all too little, too late...and too unconvincing to salvage it.

(1.5 of which is due to the photography)

value
Sigur Rós - Heima (2007)

For those of you unfamiliar with their work, Sigur Rós are an Icelandic post rock band, consisting of 4 brilliant, multi talented and incredibly introverted artists. After having completed the world tour promoting their hugely successful 4th album, Takk, they returned to Iceland to perform a series of free and mostly unannounced concerts across the country, ranging from private venues where only friends and family attended, to big open air concerts in Reykjavík and Ásbyrgi.

Heima is a documentary about that extraordinary event and is a combination of live performances and beautiful Icelandic imagery. Incredibly enough it was directed by Lance DeBlois, writer and director of one of my all time favourite animated films, Lilo & Stitch. I couldn't imagine a more unusual project for him than Heima.

DeBlois has managed to seamlessly merge the incredibly beautiful music, fantastic images of this Nordic land of fire and ice and scenes from everyday life into a magical experience which is quite frankly, too beautiful to put in words. Also, as we follow the band through the various towns and villages, there is an wonderful sense of Iceland coming together as a community, with the old as well as the young enjoying their unique music, the tour soon becoming the central even of the summer.

This was bar none, the single greatest music DVD I've had the privilege of seeing. I was virtually on the brink of tears during it's entire length, and I'm not ashamed to admit it, I even managed to shed a tear during the finale of Se lest. Even if you're not a big fan, or haven't even heard of them, you have to experience Heima.

Wow, thanks Adi, heard about this a while ago and was unsure as to what to expect from it. Definitely going to check it out when i get a chance.

I love Takk but I wasn't sure what to expect either. Someone on another board spoke highly of it so I thought why not. Their performances were absolutely top notch...and the photography just took it all to a whole different level. I only wish I had had a chance to see it on the big screen...that would have been mind blowing I imagine...

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
I'm looking forward to Tekkonkinkreet
as am I, putting on Netflix now

Certifiably troglodytic.
value
Sigur Rós - Heima (2007)

For those of you unfamiliar with their work, Sigur Rós are an Icelandic post rock band, consisting of 4 brilliant, multi talented and incredibly introverted artists. After having completed the world tour promoting their hugely successful 4th album, Takk, they returned to Iceland to perform a series of free and mostly unannounced concerts across the country, ranging from private venues where only friends and family attended, to big open air concerts in Reykjavík and Ásbyrgi.

Heima is a documentary about that extraordinary event and is a combination of live performances and beautiful Icelandic imagery. Incredibly enough it was directed by Lance DeBlois, writer and director of one of my all time favourite animated films, Lilo & Stitch. I couldn't imagine a more unusual project for him than Heima.

DeBlois has managed to seamlessly merge the incredibly beautiful music, fantastic images of this Nordic land of fire and ice and scenes from everyday life into a magical experience which is quite frankly, too beautiful to put in words. Also, as we follow the band through the various towns and villages, there is an wonderful sense of Iceland coming together as a community, with the old as well as the young enjoying their unique music, the tour soon becoming the central even of the summer.

This was bar none, the single greatest music DVD I've had the privilege of seeing. I was virtually on the brink of tears during it's entire length, and I'm not ashamed to admit it, I even managed to shed a tear during the finale of Se lest. Even if you're not a big fan, or haven't even heard of them, you have to experience Heima.

Nice review.....I'm glad you reviewed this. I love the group and saw that a church near me was going to show this at an art installation they were hosting, but I never got to see it and subsequently forgot about it till I came across your post.

I'm gonna get on it now.

What a good review thread Adi, don't stop. I haven't seen most of these and I really appreciate someone who takes the time to write about them.

You write just fine. And your English is quite good, (you're in Croatia right?) did you study English? Anyway, I've got a big list of stuff I'm going to see someday and now I added a bunch more.