The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Late to the party so...
58. About Time
57. Headhunters

58. The Imitation Game

57. Horrible Bosses, The Hunger Games, The Accountant all crossed my mind but I hope it's The Hunt.. So I'll say; The Old Man & the Gun

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
• #60. Joker (2019) - Tons of talking about Joaquin Phoenix's performance in the months preceding the awards season. Then, after a while, the research work showed that somehow, the System set the majority of the audience against this movie. It is not a surprise since the film actually portrays the regime not the Joker. The dark times we live in are quite literally showed at moments and the tyranny of the orcs who brought the darkness of mediocrity in the cities, terrorizing the colorful, artistic, intellectual and creative elite symbolized here by the Joker.
It was a bit annoying how the filmmakers tried to veneer things by moving the point on some side stories in the second half so that movie to be passable within the regime. That pushed the film down for me so It is #41 on my extended list.
+ (83/100)

---

• #59. Inside Out (2015) - haven't seen.

Top 100 seen 18/42.
(#441-458 • seen 2/18
one pointers • seen 4/35)

--
My list:
9. Albert Nobbs (2011) [#453.]
14. Ida (2013) [#71.]
25. Ága (2018) [one-pointer]

==============================
(my extended top 60)

28. Certified Copy (2010) [#84.]
29. Hell or High Water (2016) [#73.]
40. The King's Speech (2010) [#78.]
41. Joker (2019) [#60.]
55. The Descendants (2011) [#98.]
56. 1917 (2019) [#86.]
60. The Artist (2011) [#87.]

58. American Sniper
57. Parasite

Probably too soon for the latter...

A system of cells interlinked
I like Chyp's guess of About Time, but I am unsure that flick has the legs to make the countdown...

I like Chyp's guess of About Time, but I am unsure that flick has the legs to make the countdown...
Well, in the perhaps unlikely event it does ... I'm thinking it's About Time it showed up

119 points, 11 lists
Zero Dark Thirty
Director

Kathryn Bigelow, 2012

Starring

Jessica Chastain, Jason Clarke, Kyle Chandler, Jennifer Ehle

123 points, 8 lists
The Hunt
Director

Thomas Vinterberg, 2012

Starring

Mads Mikkelsen, Thomas Bo Larsen, Annika Wedderkopp, Lasse Fogelstrøm

Not the best hint for The Hunt. Way too obvious. I would've referenced the "Look into my eyes" scene or the magazine which lead to all of it (censored of course). In fact, I would've just posted J Geils' song Centerfold.

The Hunt was brilliantly thrilling, but I had to force myself through it because I hate false accusations with a passion.

Seen 24/44

Trivia

Zero Dark Thirty - James Gandolfini sent a note to Leon Panetta before the film came out, writing, "I'm very sorry about everything. I apologize. You're like my father, so you'll find something to be angry about, but please let me know." Months later, as the film was in the middle of awards season in early January, screenwriter Mark Boal told Gandolfini, "Leon Panetta would like your phone number because he doesn't know how to get in touch with you." The actor replied "He's the head of the CIA! He can't find me? Come on, really?!"
The Hunt - Thomas Bo Larsen, a raging alcoholic at the time of filming, would constantly drop his fake beard due to enormous amounts of alcohol in his blood.

Not the best hint for The Hunt. Way too obvious. I would've referenced the "Look into my eyes" scene or the magazine which lead to all of it (censored of course). In fact, I would've just posted J Geils' song Centerfold.

The Hunt was brilliantly thrilling, but I had to force myself through it because I hate false accusations with a passion.

Seen 24/44
I haven't seen the film, so it's harder to think of good hints for films I haven't seen.

MoFo Reviewers

Zero Dark Thirty

The final third of this film is the highlight for me. Watching Chastain's intensity ramp up as she gets closer and closer to her goal was immensely entertaining. When we are introduced to Seal Team Six the intensity steps up another notch as we know we are getting closer to our goal. There are also some nice lighthearted moments as Chastain's character interacts with the Seals. Finally we get our climactic scene and it is the best action that I have seen in a theater since I can remember. Our final shot is well earned, and the best ending to any movie in 2012. Bigelow once again has more than proven herself in a male dominated genre. I look forward to seeing whatever she may do next.
Read the full review here.

The Hunt

The character of Lucas is introduced as a good man who's down on his luck a little bit. He's a likable guy, and it's nice to see things start to turn around for him until his world gets rocked out of the blue. When Lucas first gets accused, I kind of wondered how realistic his reaction was. My thought was that he'd be flipping out right away. I also wondered about the reactions of everyone else. Yet, there's no playbook for this kind of delicate situation. If you're being accused of something you didn't do, I think the normal reaction would be to attack your accuser. I think that changes dramatically when the accuser is an innocent child. As for the other adults, you have to take a child's word seriously, because if you don't, and you're wrong, it makes a horrible situation worse. It's just such a truly awful situation for everyone involved, and the story was handled masterfully and is so engrossing. Even the last scene, when everything has supposedly gone back to normal, you can sense the residual effects. Lucas will never forget what he had to endure, and the other people will always know what they did to him. Beyond that, I think it would be human nature for some of them to always have some doubt. In fact, I had at least a tiny bit of doubt about his innocence myself. I'm not exactly sure what the very last part with the shooter was meant to signify, or if it was real or imagined.
Read the full review here.

Both decent enough watches, Zero Dark Thirty made my long-list but was cut pretty quickly whilst I expected The Hunt to show a little higher even if it was never really quite in contention for a spot with me.

Seen: 36/44 (Own: 23/44)
My ballot:  

Faildictions  

The Hunt is a solid film. It almost made my ballot but like so many other good movies got cut to make room for other good movies

Zero Dark Thirty....haven't seen it.

Thomas Vinterberg's Jagten is an incredibly well-crafted and moving film with an amazing central performance. I watched it twice when it was nominated in two separate Halls of Fame and had I not done any rewatches in preparation for this, it might've been a contender for my ballot. But in my third watch of it, I realized that the hunting scenes are not fake and it bothered me to the point that it ruined my enjoyment of the rest of the film. I still really respect what it does well, but I won't be watching it again and there was no way it was getting my vote.

I've never had any desire to watch Zero Dark Thirty.

Seen: 26/44
My Ballot:
7. Joker (#60)
11. The Man From Nowhere (#95)
14. Inside Out (#59)
20. Jojo Rabbit (2019) (#89)
25. Kitbull (One Pointer)

Reviews in My 2010s Countdown Preparation Thread

My Most Recent Review for The Hunt:

The Hunt (Jagten) (Thomas Vinterberg, 2012)
(Rewatch)

Tonight was my third watch of this movie - I'd seen twice before when it was nominated for the 13th MoFo Hall of Fame in 2017 and again when it was nominated in the 21st MoFo Hall of Fame in 2020. On my first viewing, I was blown away by Mads Mikkelsen's performance, felt very intense sympathy for his character, and loved the movie overall. On second watch, my sympathy for Lucas was somewhat buffered by feeling more of an understanding with the reactions of the parents and the kindergarten staff - save of course for what happened to Fanny, which is absolutely inexcusable on any level - but I still loved the movie overall.

Unfortunately, my experience tonight was a bit different. There is one particular scene early in the film where a buck is shown being shot and killed. I don't know if in my previous viewings I just blissfully assumed that the scene was faked or if the overall quality of the film distracted me enough that I'd forgotten it by the time I went to write about the movie, but this time it was very much apparent to me that it was not fake. Not only was it not fake, but its inclusion was entirely unnecessary and it left me feeling sick. As a result, I was unable to feel what I had previously felt for this movie. I still think that the rest of the film is excellent and anyone who is not bothered by such things should probably watch it, but I will not be watching this movie a fourth time nor will it be on my ballot.

mark f

Zero Dark Thirty (Kathryn Bigelow, 2012)

The Hunt aka Jagten (Thomas Vinterberg, 2012)
+

honey wanted me to say something about The Hunt. It's a slow-burning thriller about a situation getting way out of hand due to silence, assumptions and mass hysteria. Since it involves a teacher and inappropriate behavior, I could certainly relate to it. I took most of the film as really happening, but when it comes to the epilogue and especially the final scene, I have different thoughts, so those who like ambiguity may like the movie more because of it. I think it ended as well as it could have, and good movies from 50 years ago ended similarly but with even more depth. I disagreed with about 2/3 of those at IMDb about what it means, but there are some idiots over there. Anyway, I recommend it but it seems a tad overrated.

Anyways, this is the second pairing where I've seen neither film. They're not high on my watchlist, but I might get to them at some point. They both look decently interesting.

Reply to Topic