The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The Martian was decent but I liked the book more and to be honest the book was only decent+1 for me. I don't know, Andy Weir and me just don't jive. And I like Sc-fi. A lot.

Hey The Turin Horse made my list. Right on! My review? I felt this film during and afterwards...weeks later.

14. The Turin Horse (2011)

I haven't actually seen The Handmaiden. Sorry votes of The Handmaiden. Maybe one day. I hear good things.

And sure Avengers: Endgame was what we expected, what we needed to end the whole Marvel decade: Spectacle (the buzzword I see, but fitting).

But hey check out these last four films. What a diverse group huh? Good for you, Mofo.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

I'll guess Your Name. (2016) for #78 because it's the very first question at the beginning of the video.

Bonus faildictions:
78. The Conjuring
77. Spring Breakers

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I caught up with Anomalisa . I had mixed feelings about it.

At times it felt like an interesting exploration of loneliness and lack of connection, at other times it was just creepy and unpleasant. Similar to the main character, at times I sympathized with him and thought he was lonely and suffering a breakdown but at other times he just seemed like a nasty, calculating creep.

There's something of Lost in Translation about the set up of this guy in a distant, anonymous hotel failing to connect with people. I loved the idea that all the characters have the same face and voice except the one person he connects with, and how her voice begins to change the next day. I felt the dream sequence undermined the conceit a little bit, it didn't stay as the same mystery/metaphor but it didn't follow that direction either.

On the other hand, there wasn't really any any understandable connection between them apart from the face/voice thing. She comes across as very insecure, eerily similar to the old girlfriend he met up with earlier in the film and the way their relationship plays out makes it seem like this is some kind of predatory habit he has, picking up insecure women and ditching them.

The puppet sex and everything to do with the sex doll was cringy.
WARNING: "Anomalisa" spoilers below
He gave it to his child? WTF?

Bonus faildictions:
78. The Conjuring
77. Spring Breakers
I love your guess for #77!

I have never heard of The Handmaiden till now. Doesn't look to be my jam, but who knows? Maybe one day.

Avengers: Endgame was great fun and a perfect ending to the 20+ movies that preceded it. I'm the same with some MoFos here in that after Endgame, I don't think I've seen a single Marvel film since. As much as I dug Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow, I didn't care about seeing her stand-alone film that came after EG because
WARNING: "" spoilers below
of her sacrifice in Endgame. Didn't care what she did in the past if there's not a future to connect with. And I didn't care about seeing the WandaVision series because I found out from someone that Vision does not actually come back---not that I was expecting him to after EG. It was just hard to get pumped up for another "Phase" after all had been pretty neatly wrapped up.

Another day, no votes from me.

I watched Deadpool last night and I really did not like it. Not my sense of humour at all, in fact probably as far away from what I find funny as possible.

If I've seen up to Captain America: Civil War then what films do I need to watch before I get to Infinity War? I'm guessing I could probably go straight to it and work out the stuff that doesn't quite make sense (like I've heard Dr Strange plays an important role, but I saw the new Spider-man film and I can see how his character works).

I should probably check out Black Panther and Ragnarok anyway. So if I watch those two then Infinity War does that sound okay?

I watched Deadpool last night and I really did not like it. Not my sense of humour at all, in fact probably as far away from what I find funny as possible.

If I've seen up to Captain America: Civil War then what films do I need to watch before I get to Infinity War? I'm guessing I could probably go straight to it and work out the stuff that doesn't quite make sense (like I've heard Dr Strange plays an important role, but I saw the new Spider-man film and I can see how his character works).

I should probably check out Black Panther and Ragnarok anyway. So if I watch those two then Infinity War does that sound okay?
You watching the MCU in release order or chronological?

So after Civil War is as follows in release order...

... and I'll mark them as "watch" or "unneeded" before getting to Infinity War and Endgame

Doctor Strange - Watch
Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 - Unneeded
Spider-Man Homecoming - Watch
Thor: Ragnarok - Watch
Black Panther - Unneeded
Infinity War
Ant-Man and The Wasp - Watch
Captain Marvel - Unneeded
Endgame

... and I'll mark them as "watch" or "unneeded" before getting to Infinity War and Endgame

Doctor Strange - Watch
Black Panther - Unneeded
Infinity War
Endgame
Yeah this is the sort of thing I was after, thanks.

Except Guardians 2 was hilarious.
I will probably watch that one anyway because I quite liked the first one, plus Black Panther because Fruitvale Station was decent.

Bonus faildictions:
77. Spring Breakers
Right or wrong, this is the best guess of the countdown so far

Doctor Strange - Watch
Black Panther - Unneeded
Infinity War
Endgame
Let's be honest, they're all unneeded.

Just finished watching The Raid... wasn't really a fan. Didn't hate it and the fight scenes were impressively choreographed but it wasn't really my cup of tea and I didn't get much out of it beyond that. By the time we reached the third act, I didn't find myself caring for anything and the character dynamics and messages about police/gang corruption and whatnot are pretty common concepts.

Up to 19/22 seen now.

A system of cells interlinked
78 Get Out
77 Incendies

90 points, 6 lists
The King's Speech
Director

Tom Hooper, 2010

Starring

Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, Helena Bonham Carter, Guy Pearce

91 points, 5 lists
Spring Breakers