Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I can address the slickness debate in my thread later on. Don't want to derail this thread.
But don’t you like saying slickness? It’s just so… slick.

Speaking of which, I rewatched Whiplash yesterday. First time in 4K. What a perfect picture.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Belfast (2021)

This was really, really good.

It's a very personal film, basically about memories of childhood and home during a turbulent time, which is shot brilliantly with a child's eye view - almost every adult conversation is seen through a window, or doorway or half way up the stairs. The black and white cinematography is excellent and should have been nominated for an Oscar. The actors, including Ciaran Hinds, Judi Dench, Catriona Balfe, Jamie Dornan, Colin Morgan and the young boy, Jude Hill, who plays the main character are all excellent. It does really well at capturing not exactly what life was like, but what it would have felt like to a child.

It evokes many other films - mostly from British film history like Hope and Glory, Distant Voices Still Lives, kitchen sink dramas of the 60s like Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, but also the more recent Roma - but it is still very much it's own thing, as every personal story is unique.

I found it to be charming and heartfelt with the just about the right mix of drama, humour and slice of life. And of course, the power of cinema in the scenes where the family visit the pictures and the films are shown in colour. (A second viewing might reveal whether the film references are a little over-egged - I felt at times the film was a bit too soundtrack-heavy, but that's really the only criticism I have.)

It's quite unlike anything Kenneth Branagh has ever directed before and possibly even enough to forgive him for Artemis Fowl.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Les enfants du paradis (1945)
The crowning jewel of Director Marcel Carné is a flourish of exquisite adoration to the Parisian Theatre District known as the Boulevard du Crime in the 1830s.

Completed just before D-Day and kept hidden till France's liberation, the mere creation of the film is an epic tale all in itself. Recreating the quarter-mile of the road with meticulous care within a studio, Carné intimately introduces us to this cast of actors, con artists, poets, lovers, and murderers. At times, giving historical representations of said characters captured my adoration and devotion to this 3-hour film set in two parts. (Done so to avoid the restrictions of only 90-minute films by the occupying nazis.)

A story of unrequited love and the diverse gentlemen that adore Garance (Arletty) of whom this is my third film featuring Arletty, and I have become quite taken by her world-weary nuance that flows outward with such elegance and grace. She conveyed cold harshness with her previous two, and here there is a warmth that comingles with the familiarity of past tragedies of life.
It inspired me even further to explore more of her films.

As his penchant, Carné paints a vivid and complete landscape of life, death, and the varied stories of all his participants in this grand film, from the leading roles to the smallest of parts without ever, and I do mean EVER, causing an overload of details or convoluting the storytelling. There is balance and flow to it all, and Carné is a true maestro.

Victim of The Night
I think it is dumb to write off such things as Music Theory, or discount technique. Just like I think it is dumb for those who are proficient at their musical ability (whether it be with an instrument, singing, songwriting, lyric writing) to roll their eyes at the world at those less musically 'sophisticated'. There is always enough dumb to go around.

I know very little about Vai, and what I've heard, he isn't really my cup of tea. But that aside, I think agree that some artists need more 'words' to articulate what is in their head. But, it also needs to be noted, that some artists only need a handful of poorly fingered chords to say exactly what they have to say. And for them, it's possible learning more will disrupt that purity of expression.

Personally, I don't think one approach is particularly better than the other. I admire Eddie Van Halen and Glenn Gould as much as I do Daniel Johnston and The Raincoats. As unerringly precise those first two technical marvels are in their work, there is no end of their personality in how they play. Just like I don't think the limited musical chops of the other two, in any way limits the brilliance of their compositions. It's up to the artist what road they want to take. And we can judge their success on how well they maximize the tools and talents at their disposal.

As someone who has spent most of my life thinking about what makes writers good or bad, for a long time I believed the secret ingredient for greatness was to be really daring with tricky sentence structures and to always have a kaleidescopic vocabulary on hand. It certainly worked for Dickens, whose brilliance was always how he could make every sentence he wrote this adventure of language, where it is always doing these unexpected things, peppering the reader with all these crystalline details, one after another. It's why he can get away writing an entire page about the types of cutlery a character finds in a drawer. His is about the technical mastery of language and that is where much of the joy comes from when reading him.

But then I came to understand guys like Raymond Carver or Charles Bukowski, who are about the clarity of an image and the simplicity of language. Reducing everything to a blunt yet perfect declaration. Where Dickens requires dictionaries to do what he does, I'm sure someone like Bukowski could have sufficed on about seven words--beer, boils, underwear, shit, sandwich, walls and ceiling. To move outside of those basic building blocks was mostly unneccessary to articulate his world view. But this never makes him less of a writer. Because he understands what type of artist he is, and the power of his approach.

So it all just depends on the artist and how they want to define themselves.

I'm a romantic in the way that I completely believe if you have the instincts of an artist, and the determination to keep plugging away, no matter how much you may lack in technical talent you will almost always find a way to your voice. Maybe you won't find the audience, but there isn't anything you can really do about that. All an artists can really focus on is a monomaniacal obsession in finding their own way. Whatever way that may be.

So I don't think what you said above is sad at all. For me, it's the people with the virtuosity and not the soul who have more to worry about. Because to me, without those instincts, that soul, talent just ends up as a lot of huffing and puffing. Which, I think, is why some people do end up having a resistance to concepts such as music theory. Because there are a lot of people out there who will hide (sometimes very well) behind their studies. Sometimes, when an artist has absolutely nothing to say, they can't help but mistake proficiency for worth.

Agree

I think I agree that Goodfellas is where he started becoming somewhat of a different filmmaker. It's all still obviously Scorsese, and for me I think most of it is still brilliant, challenging, interesting stuff, but it doesn't have quite the same vitality. With the exception of Wolf of Wall Street, which I think is in contention as the best thing he's done since Raging Bull. Is it 'slick'? I guess, even though I do have issues with that word, as I equate it with 'empty'. But, if we are going to call it slick, it is slick only in the best of ways.
I had a feeling we were going to end up mostly agreeing.
And I always preferred Hemingway to Fitzgerald, even though both were wonderful writers.

This is all one of the reasons I love Joni Mitchell so much and why Prince and I agree that she is one of the great musical geniuses of the 20th Century. She is both. She had so much artistic instinct that (due to some other factors like polio as well) she basically had to reinvent music to say what she heard in her head. She had to invent guitar tunings that made sense for the harmonic choices that only made sense to her and advanced Jazz musicians on paper but sounded glorious when heard. Her rhythmic patterns are unlike anyone else. Her piano style is unique enough that you can tell just by listening, even though she wrote the music either way, whether it's her or one of her band playing the piano on any given song. How many people do you know wrote hit songs for dulcimer?! And she did it all by ear. No formal training or study of any kind. And then the lyrics, basically straight poetry with her having written what I consider to be the best song, lyrically, ever written. Hell, she's an amazing painter.
So, to me, that's the ultimate example because technique is actually very important to Joni's music, freakin' dulcimer technique, vocal technique, piano technique, guitar technique (I even spent some time studying Joni's strumming style only to learn that she had already influenced me so much that she was 50% of where my own style came from), but then it's also just all in service to this astonishing creative mind.
And that's what we're all hoping to catch a glimpse of in every medium, right? For us here, film. And I think you and I agree on that.

This seems like half a movie I would enjoy and half a movie that would bum me out.
I think that it ends up ultimately being optimistic, at least in terms of where the interview subjects have landed.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

A Tale of Two Cities (1935)
++ Set amidst the French Revolution, Charles Dickens Classic is given an abridged rendition retaining the heart and soul of two Cities and two men of similar appearance.

Ronald Colman is charismatic as the drunken, indifferent lawyer, Sydney Carton, who inevitably discovers that he is capable of a far, far better thing than he has ever done. Giving him a far, far better rest than he has ever known.
The highlights for me are the supporting cast, providing a genuinely deplorable aristo, is Basil Rathbone. The taciturn, scene-stealing Edna May Oliver, and the mastermind mistress, Blanche Yurka, who plots and knits. Along with her associate, Lucille La Verne, who would lend her cackling voice to the Queen/Witch in Walt Disney's Snow White.

Coming in at two hours, we are treated with all the prime keynotes of this Classic. Keeping the pacing well-tuned and moving along with brisk enthusiasm, I remained quite enthralled by the cast and the story that showcased the above actors and some truly excellent scenes in the streets of Paris and an imposing attack of a Parisian mob upon the Bastille.

Just finished watching Kimi (2022). Directed by Steven Soderbergh, the film takes place during the Pandemic and is about a woman who is afraid to leave her apartment. When she discovers evidence of a possible crime, she finds that reporting it is more difficult and more dangerous than anticipated. This is an effective, fast paced tech thriller. Zoe Kravitz looks sexier than ever and gives an engaging performance. Not one of Soderbergh's best films, but certainly not one of his worst. Worth checking out. My rating is a
. Kimi is currently streaming on Crave (in Canada) and HBO Max.

There’s like 4 movies on Netflix called The Vault. Is this the one with James Franco?
No. That one from 2017 was odd, but fairly bad.

The one Takoma was talking about is the one with Freddie Highmore that came out last year.

Lead Me Home (2021)

Documentary short on Netflix that is up for an Oscar. Provides a closer look at homelessness on the West Coast. It wasn't really eye-opening to me based on my knowledge of the situation beforehand, but the storytelling is rather good.

So this was part of movie night for us. The theme was movies where the characters were playing a game. This was a difficult theme to search for because most recommendations where movies based on games - specifically video games.

Anyway: It was my turn to pick and this was a film that, although cheesy, reminded me of game shows in a movie.

Richard Dawson was cast perfectly for this role. Like him or hate him, he had the charisma and the talent for this character.

I guess he did not kiss too many ladies on his way down that (TV) tube...

It is actually a fun movie if you do not take it too seriously.

Poor Buzz Saw...

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Nightmare Alley (Guillermo del Toro, 2021)
6.5/10 rewatch
Moon Crash (Noah Luke, 2022)
4/10
Nuts in May (Mike Leigh, 1976)
+ 6/10
After Love (Aleem Khan, 2020)
6.5/10

Recently-widowed Joanna Scanlan finds her husband had another family across the English Channel. When she goes there, things turn out differently than expected. Unusual, thoughtful and powerful.
Hive (Blerta Basholli, 2021)
- 6.5/10
Immanence (Kerry Bellessa, 2022)
4+/10
Thousands Cheer (George Sidney, 1943)
6/10
Ballad of a White Cow (Behtash Sanaeeha & Maryam Moghadam, 2020)
6.5/10

After her husband is executed for murder, Maryam Moghadam learns that others confessed, and she tries to get satisfaction from the Irani court. She believes a kind stranger (Alireza Sani Fara) turns up to help her and her daughter (Avin Poor Raoufi) when her husband's brother (Pouria Rahimi Sam) tries to make trouble.
Cash AKA For Love or Money (Zoltan Korda, 1933)
5.5/10
Maat Means Land (Fox Maxy, 2020)
- 6.5/10
Lovely to Look At (Mervyn LeRoy, 1952)
+ 5/10
American Underdog (Andrew & Jon Erwin, 2021)
+ 6/10

The dreams of Kurt Warner (Zachary Levi) come true as he rises from non-signed to NFL MVP with the help of his steadfast wife (Anna Paquin) and their Christian faith.
Superhost (Brandon Christensen, 2021)
6/10
In the Forest (Hector Barron, 2022)
+ 4.5/10
Still/Born (Brandon Christensen, 2017)
6/10
Kimi (Steven Soderbergh, 2022)
6.5/10

As part of her job of examining AI device Kimi, agorophobe Zoë Kravitz finds evidence of a violent crime, but when she reports it, things get really weird.
Last Survivors (Drew Mylrea, 2021)
+ 5/10
Z (Brandon Christensen, 2019)
6/10
The Night Doctor (Elie Wajeman, 2020)
6.5/10
The King's Man (Matthew Vaughn, 2021)
+ 6/10

Elaborate entertainment in the Kingsman series, this time a prequel set mostly during WWI, following the sometimes tragic story of the Duke of Oxford (Ralph Fiennes). Crammed with historic personalities and the Duke's son (Harris Dickinson) here.

Victim of The Night

So this was part of movie night for us. The theme was movies where the characters were playing a game. This was a difficult theme to search for because most recommendations where movies based on games - specifically video games.

Anyway: It was my turn to pick and this was a film that, although cheesy, reminded me of game shows in a movie.

Richard Dawson was cast perfectly for this role. Like him or hate him, he had the charisma and the talent for this character.

I guess he did not kiss too many ladies on his way down that (TV) tube...

It is actually a fun movie if you do not take it too seriously.

Poor Buzz Saw...

I love Dawson in this.

La femme de l'aviateur (1981, Éric Rohmer)

OK, this film didn't blow me away as much as, say, Claire's Knee or Le Rayon Vert, but that's not saying much, it is still wonderful (btw, Marie Riviere — Delphine from Le Rayon Vert — is here as well, playing a similar role). Loved the investigative element, and, as always with Rohmer, the parabolic nature of the story and the ending. Another interesting stylistic choice was the insertion of random shots of people off the street (non-actors) in certain scenes, adding a half-documentary visual dimension to the film.

It's really hard to put in words the magic of Rohmer and his cinematic vision. I am just endlessly fascinated by his warm, intriguing, deceptively simple but thought-provoking plotlines and playful, mysterious characters (especially female ones). I don't know how he does it but every time I watch a Rohmer film, I don't want it to end - in fact, I wish I could live in it.