The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
My wife and I watched Collateral the other night, and she absolutely LOVED it. I had seen it, but she hadn't. It was much better than I remembered it being.

I bailed on two different movies from the list yesterday in under 30 mins. Not a good way to close out 2021.
Which ones?

Awards

Now to the awards received by Yi Yi...

• Cannes Film Festival Best Director (Edward Yang)
  • Chinese Film Media Award for Best Film and Best Director (Yang)
  • French Syndicate of Cinema Critics Award for Best Foreign Film
  • LA Film Critics Association Award for Best Foreign Film
  • Village Voice Film Poll Award for Best Director (Yang)

As for Dancer in the Dark, it won...

• Blue Ribbon Award for Best Foreign Language Film
  • Bodil Award for Best Actress (Björk)
  • Cannes Film Festival Best Actress (Björk)
  • European Film Award for Best European Director (Lars von Trier) and Best European Actress (Björk)
  • Goya Award for Best European Film

Trivia

Yi Yi

Did you know that...
  • Edward Yang's script required the children to be 10 and 15? When he found out actors Jonathan Chang and Kelly Lee were 8 and 13 at the time of filming, he adjusted the script accordingly.
  • despite being regarded as one of the greatest Taiwanese films, the film was not released in Taiwan until 2017?
  • Issei Ogata rewrote and improvised most of the dialogue of his character, Mr. Ota?

Happy New Year all! This is the first time since this countdown started that there aren’t two new films up while I’m eating my lunch. Not liking how this new year is starting,

Trivia

Dancer in the Dark

Did you know that...
  • Björk, who's known primarily as a singer, described the process of making the film so emotionally taxing that she hasn't acted again? She's scheduled to appear in Robert Eggers' The Northman this year.
  • Lars von Trier has said that each morning before filming, Björk would say "Mr. von Trier, I despise you", and spit at him?
  • Björk walked off the set for 3 days, delaying the filming of a pivotal scene arguing she "wasn't ready"? When she returned, found the set empty and was told that von Trier "wasn't ready". This was an elaborate AND expensive prank, but everyone felt it was necessary to get back at her.

Happy New Year all! This is the first time since this countdown started that there aren’t two new films up while I’m eating my lunch. Not liking how this new year is starting,
I've failed you.

129 points, 12 lists
Moon
Director

Duncan Jones, 2009

Starring

Sam Rockwell, Kevin Spacey, Dominique McElligott, Rosie Shaw

131 points, 10 lists
Sin City
Director

Frank Miller & Robert Rodriguez, 2005

Starring

Bruce Willis, Jessica Alba, Clive Owen, Mickey Rourke

I watched Sin City many years ago after renting it at Blockbuster. I don't remember much about it, but I do remember not liking it at all. I can't say I've ever had any real desire to watch Moon.

Seen: 30/54

Wow... 2 in a row... my #1 and #8...

1. Moon (2009) - 48th
8. Sin City (2005) - 47th
11. Million Dollar Baby (2004) - 57th
13. Cast Away (2000) - 69th
20. Unbreakable (2000) - 62nd
22. Watchmen (2009) - 87th
23. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) - 63rd

---

Only thing I can say really is that Moon, along with Ex_Machina from 2014, are probably the most perfectly executed sci-fi movies of the past 15 years.

Moon is excellent and I genuinely can’t remember if it made my list or not. It was on and off a couple times.

Sin City is very good too, but diminishes on rewatches for me.

Hint breakdown with some spoilers, so...

Sorta rushed hint...

WARNING: spoilers below

We dealt with its opposite earlier (we had Sunshine, now it's Moon)
We were there at this place before (Sin City, we were at Las Vegas for Ocean's 11)
Is it one, two, or three directors (reference to the two directors in Sin City)
Is he one or two, maybe more? (reference to the multiple "Sam" in Moon)

These men of today don't know
That they are mysteriously assembled (reference to the "assembly line" of "Sams")
or they just sit there and look on
As they are awfully dismembered (reference to The Kid's fate in Sin City, probably the image that stuck with me more)
I haven't seen Sin City in a while, so I didn't have a lot to latch onto.

Happy days - Moon is another from my list to show (was starting to doubt it would make it ..... Faildictions had it at #46 so another close call). Also happy to see Sin City make it as that was another that was in contention for a spot on my ballot although that one didn't quite cut the ketchup in the end.

Seen: 33/54 (Own: 24/54)
My ballot:  

Faildictions (millennial edition v1.01):
46. Tropic Thunder (2008)
45. Frailty (2001)

Sin City was another film I didn't think I'd care for before release (a comicbook film with that many stars? That's a bad sign) but a firend wanted it so I saw it and..... Loved it. Despite that, I've only seen it twice and Carla Gugino was something else which really put it over the top for me (sometimes I forget just how hot that woman is) but I'd be happy to see it again and see if it still holds up.

Moon? I'm not really sure how I feel about it? My memory says yeah I liked it, but not great. Maybe a
to
?

Seen both, voted for none...

Sin City, I haven't seen in a long time and I barely remember it.

On the other hand, Moon I liked a lot and I kinda had it in the periphery of my list. I think it's one of the last ones I cut, primarily because I haven't rewatched it, but I do think it's pretty great.

How many is that?...

Seen: 38/54

My ballot:  

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
My wife and I watched Collateral the other night, and she absolutely LOVED it. I had seen it, but she hadn't. It was much better than I remembered it being.

RECOUNT

Reply to Topic