The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Reveals early today. Probably in a few...

A system of cells interlinked
Reveals early today. Probably in a few...

*Takes a sip of his coffee*

*Takes a sip of his coffee*
Hey you - leave Thief's coffee alone!!!

Already had my coffee. But if I keep feeling how I'm feeling*, I will be drinking something else

*in the midst of a COVID scare now

111 points, 9 lists
In Bruges
Director

Martin McDonagh, 2008

Starring

Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, Ralph Fiennes, Clémence Poésy

115 points, 9 lists
Collateral
Director

Michael Mann, 2004

Starring

Tom Cruise, Jamie Foxx, Jada Pinkett Smith, Mark Ruffalo

*in the midst of a COVID scare now
Well you just tell Covid that you've got a Countdown to finish and it can jolly well go and pester someone else!

(Hope it doesn't materialise and you are fine)

In Bruges and Up in the Air?
No clue other than In Bruges but I didn't expect that to show anymore.
Pan's Labyrinth and In Bruges
Split the winnings, people

Well you just tell Covid that you've got a Countdown to finish and it can jolly well go and pester someone else!

(Hope it doesn't materialise and you are fine)
Thanks, mate

Ok, hint breakdown!

Hint, hint...

WARNING: spoilers below

Traveling the world (all three hitmen travel the world, but more reference to Bruges)
Traveling the city (and Los Angeles)
My business is murder (obvious one, they're all hitmen)
But I'll even take pity (all hitmen show pity in some of their killings)

Boat, train, plane, cab (both films emphasize various modes of transportation the hitmen take)
Take me to a fairytale land (That's how Ralph Fiennes character describes Bruges)
or deep into hell (versus how Farrell sees it)
I'll hold your head in my hand (vague reference to Cruise holding the head of the trumpet player he kills after shooting him)

Short and sweet, but I need to go to sleep.

Neither Martin McDonagh's In Bruges nor Michael Mann's Collateral made the MoFo Top 100 of the Millennium List. Which seems like reason enough to have redone it.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Hooray, a little respite from the girth-widening today as I've seen both of those. It took a couple of viewings to warm up to In Bruges but warm up eventually I did, wasn't ever in contention for my ballot though. Collateral is good but again wasn't in contention personally.

Seen: 28/46 (Own: 20/46)
My ballot:  

Faildictions (millennial edition v1.01):
54. Das weiße Band - Eine deutsche Kindergeschichte [The White Ribbon] (2009)
53. The Devil Wears Prada (2006)

*Gonna be getting some really weird Faildictions if this keeps up - In Bruges is about the 5th movie to show up only about four or five places ahead of it's faildicted spot, meaning the subs bench is already looking rather depleted

Wow, pleasantly surprised Collateral is making an appearance. Didn't vote for it and almost forgot about it all together. In Bruges I watched when it came out on dvd but didn't really get it at the time but I'll re/visit this week.

A system of cells interlinked
Collateral is a total surprise to me. I did see it way back when, but I don't recall thinking much of it. Neither film made my list.

Once again, seen both, voted for none...

I had very similar reactions to both films in that I found them to have some really strong ups, but some weird or awkward lows or shifts.

First, In Bruges' darkly comedic tone felt a bit jarring to me at first, but I kinda warmed up to it as it went on, and I thought it finished quite strong. Gleeson and Fiennes were excellent, but I wasn't that crazy about Farrell. Here's something I wrote back when I first saw it.

As for Collateral, I thought it started really strong and it was nice to see Cruise trying something different. However, I felt the last act was a bit weaker than what preceded it. I also thought the handling of Ruffalo's character was odd.

Again, none made my list.

With that said...

Seen: 33/46

My ballot:  

Reply to Topic