The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Three Burials: Another film which fits in the category of movies I've seen and don't remember anything about

Caché: It's a very good non enjoyable movie. I've seen it once and it's enough (even though it's very good). The FAMOUS ''violent'' scene toward the end gave me one of the biggest shock/surprise a film ever gave me. I didn't see it coming AT ALL.

I guess, couple of minutes to the next reveal?
Couple o' minutes, yeah

78 points, 7 lists
The Man Who Wasn't There
Director

Joel & Ethan Coen, 2001

Starring

Billy Bob Thornton, Frances McDormand, Michael Badalucco, James Gandolfini

79 points, 7 lists
Iron Man
Director

Jon Favreau, 2008

Starring

Robert Downey Jr., Terrence Howard, Jeff Bridges, Gwyneth Paltrow

Shhhh, tomorrow's hints...

WARNING: spoilers below

Two men walk into a classy bar (Classy, because Tony Stark has money)
One has money, but the other gets by (see above. Ed, on the other hand)
He's full of hair, wealthy man's full of himself (Ed's a barber, Tony has an ego)
Bartender asks "What do you want?"
Wealthy man says "Two sakes for me and my friend" (direct reference to a line from Iron Man, when Tony asks for sakes for him and Rhodey)
Bartender asks "Who are you?"
He proudly proclaims it with open arms (direct reference to the scene of him with open arms and the final line: I am Iron Man)
Bartender serves him a drink, but wealthy man goes:
"What about my fr- hey, where did he go?" (the man... wasn't there. Get it? He wasn't there)
I was racking my head with this one for a while, but well... there it is.

OH YES. The revealed first movie from my ballot. #20. Not gonna deny that I'm a big superhero fan. Iron Man redefined the way I look at superheros. Secret Identities, powers and gritty backstories involving dead family mean nothing when you've got charisma, stubbornness and cash. The movie introduced me to Gwyneth Paltrow and Robert Downey, Jr., I've I've been watching almost every MCU movie since. I still need to see Shang-Chi and Captain Marvel. But the real clincher for this film is Favreau being at the top of his directorial game.

98. Now for my sent ballot and the current, edited post-top 25.

Sent-In Ballot:
#20. Iron Man (83)

Post-Ballot:
#17. Slumdog Millionaire (not placed but it made my new 25)
#21. Iron Man (83)

Again, no changes to my ballot, but a bit of an update to my tally...

Seen: 9/16

My ballot:  

Admittedly, I haven't seen The Man Who Wasn't There in a good while (which is why it didn't make my list), but I considered it cause I remember loving it. It's probably on my Coens Top 5, although that ranking is a tough one to tackle. Anyway, I've been meaning to revisit it. If I had, I might've included it. Great film, though.

Iron Man, on the other hand, I thought was OK, but I didn't love it. I think I've seen it two times, and my feelings haven't changed. It's a fun film, but not much else. Probably mid-tier MCU for me. However, a while ago, I was listening to a podcast on it, and they brought up a couple things that made me think I might appreciate it more. Who knows? Again, I like it a bit, just not that much.

I thought The Man Who Wasn't There was fine but not top tier Coen Bros. (to be fair, the top tier is really good). I assume we'll be seeing more from them (if for no other reason than the 2000s have been their most prolific decade so far).

My recollection of seeing Iron Man in the theater was pleasant surprise at how decent it was. Marvel superhero movies had been somewhat hit (first two X-Men and Spider-Man movies) and miss (third X-Men and Spider-Man movies; Fantastic Four); as a jaded Marvel fan I was braced for the worst. So a fun, spiritually faithful adaptation was welcome. Not on my list, though.

I rewatched Iron Man a few months ago and it really holds up. I'm not sure if the first MCU film was the best, but it's still easily one of the best, and the only things it lacks compared to some of the other contenders (massive emotional stakes later on), it would've been impossible to generate by nature of it being the first.

It was great then, it's great now, and I think despite all the praise it receives and deserves, it's still sort of underappreciated given how good it probably had to be to kickstart this era in cinema. It had to show people that these kinds of movies could--gasp--be populated by real actors, taking them seriously.

It's the foundation for the whole crazy experiment, an experiment that people will be talking about for generations, and it's just a really good movie in its own right, even without the whole "universe" that followed.

Another two gooduns. I think The Man Who Wasn't There really benefits from being in b&w whilst Iron Man is one of the better superhero movies imo and I'm quite surprised has shown up this early. Neither were that close to making my own personal ballot though.

Seen: 11/18 (Own: 9/18)
My ballot:  

Faildictions (millennial edition v1.0):
82. Dancer In The Dark (2000)
81. Ratatouille (2007)

I was racking my head with this one for a while, but well... there it is.

This is actually the kind of poem I'd write for a hint. Now I'm tempted to post a couple of mine.

Apparently, I HAVE seen a Joe Wright movie before. I forgot who directed Hanna, which is one of my favorite movies. So Pride and Prejudice fits within the consistency of directors I want in my log. I also need to see The Man Who Wasn't There for anything Coen, and for Frances McDormand.

Seen 10/18 movies.

A technical curiosity, is The Man Who Wasn't There credited to director Joel Coen alone? I know that for the first part of their career, both couldn't be listed as directors, even though they essentially co-direct... but at one point they started putting both names in. Not sure if it was after this.

A technical curiosity, is The Man Who Wasn't There credited to director Joel Coen alone? I know that for the first part of their career, both couldn't be listed as directors, even though they essentially co-direct... but at one point they started putting both names in. Not sure if it was after this.

It's both.

Reply to Topic