MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

A great psychological horror film, Repulsion was my #15. I'm surprised it made it so high on the list, but it is an unsettling experience.

My List:

1. The Omen (#35)
4. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) (#70)
8. Nosferatu (#27)
10. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (#25)
11. Diabolique (#75)
15. Repulsion (#24)
16. Peeping Tom (#54)
17. Bride of Frankenstein (#68)
18. Antichrist (#82)
19. Don’t Look Now (#64)
20. Hausu (#57)
23. Vampyr (#65)
25. Of Unknown Origin (1-pointer)

Polanski's Repulsion was on my list in almost the same spot as the groupthink at numero twenty-two. I still believe the remaining nine from my list are going to show in the top twenty-two, even with one being a comedy.

HOLDEN’S LIST
2. The Bride of Frankenstein (#68)
5. Get Out (#39)
6. The Blair Witch Project (#34)
8. Don’t Look Now (#64)
9. Possession (#33)
10. Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1956 (#70)
12. Antichrist (#82)
13. Jacob’s Ladder (#67)
14. It Follows (#78)
16. Freaks (#55)
17. The Babadook (#63)
20. Eyes Without a Face (#46)
21. Near Dark (DNP)
22. Repulsion (#24)
24. Hereditary (#56)
25. Trouble Every Day (DNP)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've never heard of Repulsion.

I didn't watch 28 Days Later..., but I liked 28 Days.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
I didn't care at all for 28 Days Later. I just don't do zombie movies unless they're funny.
28 Days Later is not a Zombie movie. They explain it that it's some kind of pure rage infection, maybe that's in the sequel but still I will fight over the fact that this is a zombie movie or not.

28 Days Later is not a Zombie movie. They explain it that it's some kind of pure rage infection, maybe that's in the sequel but still I will fight over the fact that this is a zombie movie or not.

Zombies aren't just undead that comes from Romero

Welcome to the human race...
I saw Repulsion ages ago and remember liking it, but didn't vote for it. Have been meaning to revisit it.

I've watched 28 Days Later... a couple of times now and my general attitude towards it is "ehhh it's alright I guess". I think it's got some decent moments in the mix, but I've never thought of it as a consistently solid movie. I may yet give it a third chance at some point (and as for whether or not it counts as a zombie movie, I honestly reckon it's close enough - certainly closer than Evil Dead).

Repulsion is my least favorite of Polanski's apartment trilogy, it's good for a slow burner but I wouldn't have considered it.

28 Days Later made my list, one of my favorite ZOMBIE films, love the mythology, look, and characters.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
I saw Repulsion ages ago and remember liking it, but didn't vote for it. Have been meaning to revisit it.

I've watched 28 Days Later... a couple of times now and my general attitude towards it is "ehhh it's alright I guess". I think it's got some decent moments in the mix, but I've never thought of it as a consistently solid movie. I may yet give it a third chance at some point (and as for whether or not it counts as a zombie movie, I honestly reckon it's close enough - certainly closer than Evil Dead).
When was Evil Dead 2 considered a Zombie movie, I can't think of a single reason Evil Dead 2 would be considered a Zombie film, makes no sense.

I'm not a huge fan of Danny Boyle or zombie films. But '28 Days Later' was very very good. No. 12 in my list. It has perfect pacing and a great balance of that post apocalyptic nightmare scenario and a true terror feeling. Plus an amazing score by John Murphy.

Growing up I was a massive fan of the book 'Empty World' by John Christopher, and the first half of this film was like seeing that book on screen. I loved it.

Welcome to the human race...
When was Evil Dead 2 considered a Zombie movie, I can't think of a single reason Evil Dead 2 would be considered a Zombie film, makes no sense.
It was in reference to Army of Darkness being referred to as a zombie movie earlier in the thread, which is admittedly a more debatable example than its predecessors.

I had Caligari at #2. Beautiful ground-breaking visuals, and what a clever ending .. didn't see it coming.

Of the last 10 or so the ones I gave some consideration to were Repulsion and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Repulsion is the only Polanski movie I like and had it at 25 before I decided to go with a stupid movie with a ton of gore that isn't likely to show up. Caligari I only watched once but it is so unique. I really liked it. It's definitely a top 5 silent film.

Having watched Body Snatchers after the list was started I would have strongly considered that as well.

Of the others The Conjuring, Possession and Saw were very good.
Seen 58
So Far:
6. The Haunting #43
7. The Descent #40
8. Sinister #76
9. Return of the Living Dead - A Big Fat DNP
12. The Wailing #69
14. [rec] #59
15. Freaks #55
19. Carrie #45
20. Event Horizon #49
23. Martyrs #47
24. The Omen #35

Horror movies don't have to be a spiral into despair, they can be about survival, too.
Exactly Thursday Next. Most of my choices, I think of them as fun hangout movies, with plenty of splatter and inventive gore effects as well. So far only FIVE of my movies have made it though!

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gales.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	53726  

A system of cells interlinked
Several films from my list have appeared. I am just getting over being sick, so I have been keeping up with the countdown even less than i was previously!

I had the 1978 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers on my list at # 11. Scared the hell out of me as a kid when I first saw it, and the final shot (one of the best on cinema) still makes my skin crawl.

I had The Conjuring at # 20, and The Ring at # 13.

I sort of liked 28 Days Latter...true to Danny Boyle's direction it was a bit too much at times. He did the same over the top stuff in Sunshine too. In a way his films remind me of M. Night Shyamalan films.

Funny Games (1997)
Runtime: 1 Hr 49 Mins
Production Company: Österreichischer Rundfunk
Distributed by Concorde-Castle Rock/Turner
Eleven Votes
163 Points (23, 21, 20, 19, 18, 17, 16, 11, 8, 6, 4)
High Voter: @HashtagBrownies

Schockierend wie "Clockwork Orange", kontrovers wie "Natural Born Killers"
Translated: Shocking like "A Clockwork Orange," controversial as "Natural Born Killers." (Tagline)
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Funny Games 22.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	53729  

I’ve watched a couple of minutes of Repulsion and realized I wasn’t in the mood so I turned it off. Didn’t want to ruin the film. So yeah, I never got back to it. But it’s a nice little short runtime, so it should be doable in the near future...

I’ve never been much of a fan of 28 Days Later. It was okay but it didn’t do a lot for me. I’ve seen it at least twice but it hasn’t wowed me either of the times.

There wasn't enough Funny Games hype for me, so I didn't bother with it. I never considered it would make the top 30.