Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The truth is in here
Soul Man

A white man becomes black to get in at a Harvard law school.
This interesting hypothetical idea was made into a movie which goes by the name of Soul Man. When it came out, people hated it. And I mean hated it. It was criticized for its premise and many people got upset over the movie relying on black stereotypes for jokes. But is it really as offensive as it's reputed?

Well, no.
Personally, I don't have a problem with potentionally offensive humor. One of my favorite comedies of all time is Borat after all. If executed by the right people, it can be hilarious.
But unlike Borat, I think the message is easier spelled out. I'll get to that later.

When we are first introduced into Mark Watson, he's your regular ambitious teenager. He's gotten in at Harvard - the university to end all universities! But after his father gets some ill-adviced suggestions from his phychiatrist, he decides not to pay for his son's studies. So now Mark can't afford to go to Harvard! Failing to scramble in money, he only sees one option left: you see, since the only foundation which still accepts foundations are only for black students... he has to become black himself! With the help of some bronzing pills.
The thing I like the most is how the character of Mark progresses throughout the movie. He starts off thinking pretending to be black is an easy game. We get some fairly amusing bits where he tries to talk or act in a "jive" manner in order to fit in, only to embarrass himself instead. Or in one scene, two other students show their racist bias by assuming he's great at basketball just because he's black, only for him to cause the team to lose the game instead. I think him failing to score a single hit drives home the point perfectly. Another good example is the "sympathizer" Whitney, who claims to know which stereotypes are true and which are not. As well as pretentiously talking about how she's erasing barriers and how there is no black and white, only "grey", and that she understands all the struggles they go through. We even hilariously see her act the same around a Native American after Mark decides to cut ties with her. Probably my favorite scene in the movie however is when the truth about Mark's skin color is close to coming out, and he has to juggle talking with his parents (who knows he's white, but since he can't show he now looks black he has to wear a skimask) and talking with Sarah, who still thinks he's black. It's a comedy setup as old as time, but still handled in a zanily funny manner. Gordon in the middle trying to keep the situation under control makes it even better.

The movie very nicely balances between the humorous and the serious elements, and even has a bit of romance in there too. It doesn't pretend to be much more than what it is, a silly "what if" comedy. But at times, it's very meaningful as well. Not all of Mark's struggles with being black are played for comedy, and as the movie goes on and he has to suffer more and more prejudice, we start to feel his guilt. It also makes the cute blossoming romance between him and Sarah sadder. He's living his life as a lie. Sooner or later the elephant in the room has to be addressed. It never feels too heavy though, it wouldn't be a comedy in that case. The drama kicks in wherever it's neccessary.

I can't close out without mentioning the top-notch acting. C. Thomas Howell is an incredibly likeable lead, and makes you root for, but also appropriately cringe at a lot of his character's actions. Arye Gross as his friend is great as well, and makes an otherwise stock friend character compelling. James Earl Jones as the Harvard professor is nothing short of priceless. Jones excellently knows how to use his voice for humor as much as intimidation. I'm pretty much a newcomer to Rae Dawn Chong (who I've seen in Jeff, Who Lives At Home, but it was a long time since I saw that), who gives possibly the second best performance next to Earl Jones. She's so charming you almost want to melt, but also a chick with sass, the best possible combination. Everything about Sarah as well is likeable, and the chemistry between her and Howell in the film makes the romance above convincing.

The soundtrack is done in classic 80's style, with some nice montage music and a main song track which will never go out of your hea- I'm a sooooooooul maaaaaaaan!

cough Sorry about that.

The movie ends with a message delivered so sincerely you wouldn't expect it to come from a movie which has been a subject to so much controversy. Even after all the struggles Mark went through pretending to be black, including getting stopped by the police and thrown in jail for no reason, he knows it's still not the same as actually being black. Because if it ever got too hard for him, he could always just switch back. But not everyone has that option. Is it too late to say the audience completely misunderstood the picture's intentions?

To take a break from the praise, it's still not a perfect 10/10 by any means. At times the movie seems to drag a bit, scenes maybe going on a little too long and with a multitude of pauses where you just get to look at Mark having an expression which says "I'm confused right now." It's perfectly logical and fits, but just a tad bit overdone. There's also not a lot of humor before the main plot starts, since it's too focused on setting the premise up. And finally, it could have used some more Leslie Nielsen. Sure he doesn't play a laugh-riot personality this time, but he was funny for the little time he had. He seemed to be a bit wasted.

Brother or bro, I don't care who. See it if you've got an open mind.

I loved the humour in In Bruges but I didnt feel it in this, like at all. Which are some of the scenes you found humorous,and which did you find silly? Humour just went right over my head in this movie. I think I just had a lost in translation moment but I see a lot of viewers saying they loved the humour.

re: the ending, first time I saw it husband and I just looked at each other and said Huh? Second time I liked it. Still, I've said all the way along I didnt think it earned the best movie nomination. There were moments I felt like I was in spin cycle in the washing machine.

This was easily my number 1 movie of the year. The way the story balanced profanity with violence and humor but then also told a morality tale put it ahead of all the other nominations for me. It's likely one of the only BP nom's I'll watch again (maybe Get Out).

You can't win an argument just by being right!

This was easily my number 1 movie of the year. The way the story balanced profanity with violence and humor but then also told a morality tale put it ahead of all the other nominations for me. It's likely one of the only BP nom's I'll watch again (maybe Get Out).
Ohgod I'd forgotten how damn good Woody's acting was in that scene. Thanks for posting, Siddon. yep i see the humour there now. Definitely in the wrong mood so diving in for a rewatch. And need I say Frances and Sam.

OT kinda, there was a three billboards here in sydney today against domestic violence. Any cities or towns your way running with it? I only saw the tail end of it on a weekend news/variety program and did see if it was a govt funded campaign promoting education about DV or some private organisation.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”

The Last Jedi (2017)

What the hell is going on around here !?!

Can we please get some nerds to start writing this $#!+ !!!

The Man Who Knew Too Little - 7/10

I usually get around to watching this once a year. I don't know why, but it seemingly gets funnier each viewing. I guess the more you realize what a P.O.S. the surrounding reality being set up for you is and how it fails in trying to make you feel afraid of it, it really brings out the situational humor in this movie. Classic.

Welcome to the human race...
What the hell is going on around here !?!

Can we please get some nerds to start writing this $#!+ !!!
If the reactions to this film are any indication, there is far too high a chance that "getting some nerds" will just make it worse (besides, the guy who wrote Brick and Looper isn't a nerd?)

Last movie watched...

Dead Man's Letters -

gee, who would've thought that the immediate aftermath of global nuclear armageddon would be so depressing to watch

The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer if you want a good Cary Grant movie this something worth tracking down. The movie has some logical issues...Myra Loy is a judge (at 40) raising a seventeen year old sister (Shirley Temple) who is in love with an artistic playboy (Cary Grant). The judge realizing that her sister won't just leave Grant alone basically forces Grant to "date" her. So it's a ridiculous setup....

If you were a fan of Lady Bird you should track this one down. Shirley Temple is good, Cary Grant is great and if you can get past the ridiculousness of the plot you'll enjoy yourself...here's a clip. I wouldn't mind seeing this as a remake with instead of sisters a mother daughter pairing.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
If the reactions to this film are any indication, there is far too high a chance that "getting some nerds" will just make it worse (besides, the guy who wrote Brick and Looper isn't a nerd?)

It's just hard for me to accept that these aren't being made like the old ones. They just seem to lack the little quirks and moments I fell in love with.

It's a blessing and a curse. You have the enormous rabid fan base because of a culture changing phenomenon, but a large part aren't going to be happy with anything you do. I do like Kylo Ren, he just doesn't seem to belong with these other characters.

Looper was good, though.

This might just do nobody any good.
Not reviews, just some random thoughts on some the last couple of movies I saw.

Wings of Desire - I like the afterlife’s dress code.

Carol / Brief Encounter - If you ever want to feel like you should never love again, this is the double feature for you.

Talented Mr. Ripley - Damon and Hoffman get all credit, deservedly, but Jude Law is right up there with them, IMO. You really do need to feel something for his character for the whole thing to work and Law finds just the right moments to let some sincerity poke through. It was also a bit odd to see Blanchett give such a... wide eyed performance. I’ve been thinking of her as Hela too much.

Oh, I also saw Rope recently. It was nice. Gimmicky but nice. And Forgettable. Mads’ Hannibal would blush at the chocking innuendos.

The Piano Teacher (2001)

-

This was my 5th movie from director Michael Haneke and I got pretty much what I expected. It's slow, interesting, and very well made. His films seem to suit my taste well, but there's something missing that keeps me from loving them. I feel like they may be a little cold and that keeps me somewhat detached. Great performance from Isabelle Hupport and others. I still look forward to The White Ribbon and Benny's Video.

It's just hard for me to accept that these aren't being made like the old ones. They just seem to lack the little quirks and moments I fell in love with.

It's a blessing and a curse. You have the enormous rabid fan base because of a culture changing phenomenon, but a large part aren't going to be happy with anything you do. I do like Kylo Ren, he just doesn't seem to belong with these other characters.

Looper was good, though.
I can imagine there are some Star Trek fans that feel the same way.

Carol / Brief Encounter - If you ever want to feel like you should never love again, this is the double feature for you.
When I saw Carol I thought Rooney Mara dominated it completely but I'd like to see it again and see if I change my mind.

Talented Mr. Ripley - Damon and Hoffman get all credit, deservedly, but Jude Law is right up there with them, IMO. You really do need to feel something for his character for the whole thing to work and Law finds just the right moments to let some sincerity poke through. It was also a bit odd to see Blanchett give such a... wide eyed performance. I’ve been thinking of her as Hela too much.
I think we all have . I'd forgotten she was in that, not that I ever saw the film.

The Piano Teacher (2001)

-

This was my 5th movie from director Michael Haneke and I got pretty much what I expected. It's slow, interesting, and very well made. His films seem to suit my taste well, but there's something missing that keeps me from loving them. I feel like they may be a little cold and that keeps me somewhat detached. Great performance from Isabelle Hupport and others. I still look forward to The White Ribbon and Benny's Video.
A pretty grim watch at times and I agree about the coldness. I think I would say I enjoyed Hidden a lot more but then I like Juliette Binoche very much and Daniel Auteuil is my favourite actor so they really helped .

Soul Man

Brother or bro, I don't care who. See it if you've got an open mind.

"Lookin' good momma, lookin' REAL good. Well, I gotsta be goin' now!"

Thanks for the review. Never thought I'd see one on here for this, haha!

Call Me By Your Name (2017)

The last scene is amazing, the rest of the movie not so much

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Back to the Future - 96/100
Back to the Future 2 - 84/100
Schindler's List - 92/100
Red Sparrow - 70/100

Reviews for all in my profile. I hope I like Back to the Future 3, what do you guys think of that one?

Call Me By Your Name (2017)

The last scene is amazing, the rest of the movie not so much
It sort of pulled a reverse Moonlight where the first two acts where meandering, predictable and a little boring and then act three hits you with that gorgeous snow shot, the dramatic breakdown the monologue and the end credit song.

I don't know which was the better film, I tend to score this one higher but we'll see how time ages this one.

Dodsworth (1936)

A well done bittersweet tale about a marriage falling apart. The husband retires and they go on a massive trip only to find that they, especially the wife, want different things. I thought it was a very honest and mature movie.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Dodsworth (1936)

A well done bittersweet tale about a marriage falling apart. The husband retires and they go on a massive trip only to find that they, especially the wife, want different things. I thought it was a very honest and mature movie.

Wow that takes me back. I saw it when I was a little girl. Talk about memories flooding back!

Originally Posted by Luis
Reviews for all in my profile. I hope I like Back to the Future 3, what do you guys think of that one?
I just happen to be re-watching that movie as I type this. I haven't seen it since I saw it at the cinema in 1990, but I loved it then and I'm digging it now. It's well worth watching. Let us know what you think.