Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

What Doesn't Kill You (Brian Goodman, 2008)

Has it's strengths

Defending Your Life (1991)

Written directed and staring Albert Brooks as a man literally defending his life in Judgement city.

Where were you, I'm just curious?
I'd tell you but you wouldn't understand
Don't treat me like a moron, try me
I was trapped near the inner circle of thought
I don't understand

You ready? You look ready.
The Foreigner -

This is Jackie Chan at his finest as an actor: stunts take a back seat. This film shows that he has taken in a considerable amount of skill over his lifetime as an actor, and it clearly shows in his face and the way he carries the character. There’s an equally good performance from Bronson but nothing we haven’t already seen before. As for the story it’s also nothing we haven’t seen before either: good man gets pushed too far and then bad guys get punished. In a nutshell, see this film if you’re a fan of Chan because he clearly knows what moves the audience.

Most interesting man in the world
Bikini Beach 1964 7 / 10

"A millionaire sets out to prove his theory that his pet chimpanzee
is as intelligent as the teenagers who hang out on the local beach,
where he is intending to build a retirement home."

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Cloverfield Paradox

(Julius Onah)

It's no mistake now that the team behind the Cloverfield series is simply purchasing films that are already shot or written and re-working them to fit within their "world". This entry into the series is no different, but at least we have a direct connection and explanation for things, which will make this film the main one that will connect every single 'Cloverfield' entry from here on out.

In an attempt to produce endless energy, a group of people board a space shuttle known as The Shepard. Over 600 days in space with failure after failure, they finally manage to create something. But that something is not what they expected and now they have to fight to survive and deal with the horrors they've unleashed.

There is a moment in the film that is pure exposition, delivered by Donal Logue. The scene really felt forced in there to be an explanation for the monster in the original film. It was such an awkward jumble of words that it stands out like a sore thumb. I felt like they could have delivered this information a bit differently, by someone on the ship maybe. There are other moments of missed opportunities as well, specifically when you are dealing with the plot devices they use here.

The film tries to deliver a sense of dread, but it doesn't really get there. There are moments where the weirdness explodes and we are dealing with severed limbs still working or body horror involving eyes and skin. I get the sense that they wanted these weird occurrences to really amp of the mystery. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. As a whole though, the film does deliver an edge of your seat sic/fi space survival flick. So for that it gets a thumbs up from me.

Paramount clearly thought they had a stinker on their hands, which is why they dumped the film to Netflix. Saying this film sucks is a disservice to the material. It's ambitious enough to try and create a connecting tissue to the other films and anything else that Bad Robot wants to come up with. I applaud that, as well as their explanation for why things happened, to me is good enough. This film will be the most divisive one yet, that is clear.

Suspect's Reviews

Yeah, I cant find it on IMDB but it was shown on BBC Alba. Was really interesting with some great footage. Probably nothing you aren't familiar though.
It's just called Benny on Letterboxd. Only two people have seen it on there.

https://letterboxd.com/film/benny-2017/

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Badsville (April Mullen): For years, two gangs in the town of Badsville have been at war. When the current Kings leader, Wink, decides to honor his late mother's promise and give up both the "life" and leave town, dissension within his gang via a hotheaded member begins and the rival gang takes advantage by igniting the war again on a whole new level. Solid performances by co-writers Ian McLaren and Benjamin Barrett as the gang leader and the hothead as well as Robert Knepper as the leader of the rival gang, who shows how extreme he is willing to go, even punishing his own son by whipping him with a belt across his back and face!

Final Rating: B

Kill Order (James Mark): David, a high schooler has constant nightmares where he seems to be in a lab and sees a burning figure. The nightmares become reality when it is revealed he has some sort of power from an experiment he was involved in. Stellar fight scenes choreographed by the director's brother Chris Mark, who also plays lead character David. For a 75-minute sci-fi action film, I think this is one of the best since The Matrix (yes that's saying a lot but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Final Rating: B+

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

12 Angry Men

Re-watch. Some movie just gets better and better with age.

Simply a perfect film.

Absolutely true, but I have a feeling, the movie has been perfect since it was released

I'm surprised more haven't saw this..
Watched this today, not bad, good performances but overall a bit thin I thought. It was obviously bigger news in the USA than it was here. 6/10.