The MoFo Top 100 of the Forties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
From those last 5 I saw Red River and My Darling Clementine. Both solid Westerns, but neither we're on my list.

Surprisingly I think I'm still just sitting on one movie from my list, so I have a lot yet to come. Though there are a few that are certain to not show now.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
have not heard of Drunken Angel, but did vote for Odd Man Out (#11) which was nominated by camo for the 40's second HoF.

Odd Man Out

Where the question of morality is placed upon those whom James Mason meets, far more than the wounded individual himself.

Directed by the same who did The Third Man, the imagery, though not as artistically inspiring as TTM, is quite something to see, all the same. Some truly beautiful and stark imagery which are coupled by the story and all of the secondary actors within this movie.

For me, it was those characters that really peaked and kept my interest. For some odd reason I kept thinking about my #1 favorite; The Great Escape as everyone split up and tried to make it out of a bad situation. I think it may have been the underlying subterfuge as, with each encounter, you REALLY did not know if it was a haven or a pitfall that would engulf, not only Mason, but the others who were with him in the attempted robbery.

I can't, honestly, make a list, since I thoroughly enjoyed them all. From the one aunt that the two men sought out only to be betrayed, to the two older women who come across Mason's character, to the older man with the birds. His little "conversation" with the priest was quite enjoyable.
My favorite, and whom I was waiting for, from the moment I saw his name in the opening credits, was Robert Newton as the brawling artist. And it was excellent to watch him let loose.

And, finally, the ending, I won't spoil it, but will say: I loved it. And will go into more detail as others watch this and talk about it.
And Miracle on 34th Street is a childhood favorite that didn't make the list, sadly. Still THE BEST version of them all.

Seen: 30/48

My List:
#11 Odd Man Out (55)
#16 Now, Voyager (78)
#17 The Suspect (70)
#18 Waterloo Bridge (93)
#21 The Pride of the Yankees (59)
#24 Gilda (72)
#25 Arch of Time (1 Pointer)

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
~52~

Director: Albert Lewin
Producer: Pandro S. Berman
Distributor: MGM

92 Points - 5 Lists
(3rd; 4th; 6th; 8th; 17th)

~51~

Director: Jacques Tourneur
Producer: Val Lewton
Distributor: RKO Pictures

93 Points - 7 Lists
(3rd; 6th; 7th; 14th; 18th; 20th; 21st)

Ahh, The Picture of Dorian Gray,l just saw this about four days ago

The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945)
++ I have always thought I had actually seen this and maybe have as a kid, but I am so very happy I did now. And yes, this would have been another new watch that knocked out another old favorite for the 40's List.
The actor who plays Dorian is ideal (Hurd Hatfield), and with George Sanders who playfully tosses about all the truly delicious Oscar Wilde lines, this was a great film to watch.
Add to that, Angela Lansbury who's beauty is angelic and a wonderful Donna Reed, not to mention a very young Peter Crawford and the painter, Lowell Gilmore who was excellent in his tragic nobility.
While the movie is VERY tame due to the date of the film and the restrictions at that time, they could only hint at the scandals of Dorian Gray; that did not hinder the story for me.
I really loved how, when showing the painting on its own, they did so in color which truly made such an amazing effect.
Have not seen I Walked with a Zombie

Seen: 31/50

My List:
#11 Odd Man Out (55)
#16 Now, Voyager (78)
#17 The Suspect (70)
#18 Waterloo Bridge (93)
#21 The Pride of the Yankees (59)
#24 Gilda (72)
#25 Arch of Time (1 Pointer)

@mark f, I LOVE this observation of Red River: "Spectacular western epic about the first cattle drive along the Chisholm Trail is actually a thinly-veiled retelling of Mutiny on the Bounty."
Comparing it to Mutiny on the Bounty is excellent I never thought of it that way. VERY cool

I have a few extra things to say now before I sign off (I am awfully tired - I might actually try to go to sleep very early tonight).

We are now at the halfway mark. Already!!! And, no, it isn't because I just posted 10 films tonight. The last two films would've been the ones that I would've posted today, anyway. So we would be at this point no matter what.

I do hope to keep up with this list better, but if not, I can always go crazy with posting again.

Damn right The Pride of the Yankees made it!!!!

Needless to say it was on my list. I had it at #4. And I had The Picture of Dorian Gray on my list. I had that one at #8.

When I said before that I there were 3 movies that I worried may not make the list, that also included (along with Now, Voyager) The Pride of the Yankees and The Picture of Dorian Gray. They are two films that I really love. And I wish they would've made it to higher spots, but I will take the fact that they are actually on the countdown, too.

@Citizen Rules, I do feel guilty that I didn't include Miracle on 34th Street on my list because I should've really made sure that at least one John Payne picture was on it, but I just didn't do that. But at least a John Payne picture has made it onto a countdown!!!

So, that now makes it 5 films from my list to make it:
The Pride of the Yankees (4)
Now, Voyager (7)
The Picture of Dorian Gray (8)
The Uninvited (15)
Heaven Can Wait (16)

Thanks for posting all those Vamp

None of them made my list, but I sure do love a lot of them.

The Pride of the Yankees...great film, I know Vamp really likes it. I went with another Gary Cooper film, but glad to see this one make it.

My Darling Clementine...I reviewed it here and gave it

The Wolf Man
...a fun film but I'm not a real fan of it. I like The Invisible Man much better.

Red River
...Very strong John Ford/John Wayne film. One of my favorite older westerns.

Miracle on 34th Street...I'll probably be watching this at Christmas time and be charmed, as always.

I Walked with a Zombie...very cool, that MoFo has some good taste in old horror films. This is one of my fav old horrors!

The Picture of Dorian Gray...I really, need to see this...

25. The Spiral Staircase
18. All The Kings Men
14. I Walked with a Zombie
12. Pride of the Yankees

09. Black Narcissus
03. Le Corbeau

Well looks like my favorite horror film of the 40's didn't make the cut.

Wolfman...didn't care for it
Dead of Night...pretty good wasn't in the mix for me
Red River...liked it well enough
Drunken Angel...my favorite early Kurosawa film
Picture of Dorian Gray...best of the crop

Two of mine showed up. I voted for Odd Man Out and Drunken Angel. A tad fitting since I am celebrating my move with a bottle of sake.

The Wolf Man was not one of mine but in hind sight it should have. I was raised on Universal horror movies and I cherish the time I spent with Lon Chaney Jr, Boris Karloff, and Bela Lugosi and company. The Wolf Man being my favorite Universal Horror movie. I am very glad it made it. Truth be told I thought it was a 30's movie. Glad it made it despite my massive screw up.

All those movies and the only one I've seen is My Darling Clementine, which I neither liked nor voted for (despite several other Victor Mature flicks making my ballot).

At least, I don't think I've seen Miracle on 34th Street. My family's idea of Christmas movie watching was Die Hard, Grinch, and National Lampoon's.

If you post enough movies, another one from my list is bound to show up, and in this case it was Drunken Angel, Kurosawa's first film with Toshiro Mifune, and the second Kurosawa movie on my list.

SV, I hope all is well with you and your mother.

My List:

12. Stray Dog (#64)
17. Drunken Angel (#54)
19. Sullivan’s Travels (#68)
25. Five Graves to Cairo (1-pointer)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Odd Man Out has plenty of director Carol Reed's trademark Dutch angles and chiaroscuro lighting and cinematography. Drunken Angel was the first Kurosawa/Mifune flick and an early yakuza classic. Miracle on 34th Street was my #23 and my fave Christmas film ever. The Picture of Dorian Gray still packs a sophisticated wallop. I Walked with a Zombie is one of Val Lewton's most exotic films and displays early filmmaking skill from Jacques Tourneur.

The Picture of Dorian Gray (Albert Lewin, 1945)

Oscar Wilde's novel is presented by a narrator (Cedric Hardwicke) who tells the story of attractive young Dorian Gray (Hurd Hatfield) who seems to live a good life, but a sinister portrait painting of him shows the corruption of his soul even while his body remains youthful and vibrant. The people with whom Dorian surrounds himself include a debauched nobleman (George Sanders), an East End singer (Angela Lansbury) and the lovely niece (Donna Reed) of the portrait's artist. The sins of Dorian are presented in an off-hand and mostly off-screen manner, but you can still tell that it involves sex, drugs, suicide and various other ungentlemanly behavior. The film is shot in black-and-white but some of the highlights are the displays of Dorian Gray's portrait in vivid Technicolor.
Seen - 50/50
My List
6. Heaven Can Wait (63)
11. Red River (56)
13. Yankee Doodle Dandy (66)
16. A Letter to Three Wives (76)
20. Sullivan's Travels (68)
23. Miracle on 34th Street (53)

First of all, thank you Vamp, for going far and above to get these movies posted. Especially when you've got all this weight on your shoulders. Again, I'm praying for your Mother and yourself. Please get yourself some rest.

Well, a few of mine made it today! I'll address the movies as they appeared on these pages:

Dead of Night I've wanted to see this for a long time, still haven't had a chance.
Pride of the Yankees Yes! Like Vamp, I totally love this movie. I hope to see another Gary Cooper movie make this list.
My Darling Clementine This is a great movie, but far from my favorite Ford film. I have some problems with it, but I'll watch it whenever it airs on cable.
The Wolf Man Like edarsenal and Gunslinger, this is my favorite classic horror movie from the Universal lot. I love them all, but this will always tower above them all.
Red River Yes! Another from my list. Truly one of the Duke's best and the supporting cast, especially Montgomery Clift and Walter Brennan
Odd Man Out As much as I love James Mason, I'm surprised I've never seen this. Must rectify that.
Drunken Angel I've only seen a couple of Kurosawa films in my life, and this isn't one of them. Something else I need to take care of when possible.
Miracle on 34th Street As much as I love this movie, I totally forgot about it when compiling my list. Oh man.
The Picture of Dorian Gray Had many chances, but have never caught this one. I have seen THE picture, just not the film.
I Walked With a Zombie Haven't seen it. Want to very much.

So, my list:
6. Yankee Doodle Dandy #66
9. Pride of the Yankees #59
14. Red River #56
19. Great Expectations #86

It's hard for me to imagine now that My Darling Clementine was only my #9 with how much I loved it.

I watched Red River about 3 years ago. It was the first old western I ever fell in love and was my #22.

After not thinking much of him at first, Gary Cooper can now do no wrong in my book. The emotional Pride of the Yankees was my #24.

The Wolf Man is a childhood favorite that I haven't seen in many years.

I watched Odd Man Out twice in the last year. I love the first half of the movie. It then starts to lose me a little before a strong finale.

Drunken Angel, I Walked with A Zombie, and The Picture of Dorian Gray were all movies that I was very much looking forward to. They were all fantastic.

After seeing Miracle on 34th Street for the first time, I think it may be the best Christmas movie I've seen.

I have not seen Dead of Night.

My list-

#9 My Darling Clementine (58)
#15 Scarlet Street (73)
#21 Key Largo (77)
#22 Red River (56)
#24 Pride of the Yankees (59)

Seen 46/50

46 out of 50 F@CKIN IMPRESSIVE, @cricket!!!

and extra reps to @The Gunslinger45, @dadgumblah and cricket (childhood favorite) for naming The Wolf Man for their favorite old time/Universal Horror movie!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
@SilentVamp, I hope your Mom gets better soon. We all appreciate that you came back to update us, and continue this countdown, but if you need to take a break from this countdown to be with your Mom, we'll understand. Your focus should be on her right now, not on anything happening here. We can wait as long as you need.

As for the movies that were posted:
Miracle on 34th Street was the only movie from these ten that made my list, but it was all the way up at #2 on my list. It's not only my favorite Christmas movie, but it's one of my favorite movies. I'm glad it made the countdown, but I expected it to be much higher on the list.

I thought My Darling Clementine was on my list, but I just checked, and it was in my last round of cuts. I'm not a big fan of westerns, but this is one of the few westerns that I love.

I considered Pride of the Yankees for my list, but it didn't make my final list. (It's a great movie, but I think I may have a mental block against it because of how much I hate the Yankees.)

I watched Odd Man Out for one of the HoFs, and it was a good movie, but it wasn't good enough to make my list.

I'm not a fan of horror movies, but The Wolf Man and The Picture of Dorian Gray are two of the better horror movies that I've seen. They didn't make my list, but I'm not surprised to see either of these movies make the countdown.

I haven't seen Dead of Night, Red River, Drunken Angel, and I Walked With a Zombie.

My List:
2) Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
3) Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942)
11) Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
21) The Uninvited (1944)