Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Watched two (current) movies this weekend:

1.) Split

When Split first came out, I somehow avoided all the spoilers for it - that is until a friend's birthday a few weeks ago, where he proceeded to tell me the ending. In his defense, I'm not rushing to the theater like I used to, and he was under the assumption that I've already seen it. I watched it Friday, and despite me knowing where this film was going, I really enjoyed it. Where a lesser actor would have made the film not as interesting, James McAvoy totally kills it in this. It's also nice to see M. Night Shyamalasldkhfksjdhfsdfksdkjfhskdjfhsdjkshdk make something decent again.

RATING:

2.) Alien Covenant

Despite alot of people drinking the haterade on this, I really liked Covenant. But, I'm also a big Prometheus (and Alien 3) apologist.

I think people didn't realize this with Prometheus, and either didn't realize it with Covenant - or they just didn't like it, but Scott is taking these films in a new direction. These films aren't about the Neo/Proto/Xeno - morph anymore, but more of a Blade Runner-esque story of creation, creator, playing God, with David (Michael Fassbender); who's the new anchor for the series and the best actor in the film. My biggest gripe about Covenant is that it completely demystifies Alien, with a creation/backstory nobody really asked for. I don't blame Scott for the direction he is taking (how many times can you redo Alien and Aliens?), but the weakest parts of the movie, which I think he put in to placate an angry fanbase after Prometheus, is a retread of the franchise. Though, there is a total "Fredo, get in the plane" moment in this film that really asks you to suspend disbelief.

But, overall, I dug it. The CG is not the best, but seeing the creepy, pale neomorph massacre people in tall fields of grass and the (almost classic looking) protomorph attacking in broad daylight was pretty cool.

The biggest winner of this film was the Art Director. I'm bordering on spoiler territory, so I'll keep it brief and nonspecific as possible, but when the crew reaches a ruined city on the planet, this has got to be one of the greatest sets in modern horror/sci fi. I feel time will be more kind to Prometheus and Covenant than its contemporaries.

RATING:

Went to the cinema today to see John Wick 2. The first one was a pretty solid flick, and this got good reviews, so I was expecting this to just as good but I'm afraid I was rather disappointed by it. The action is well staged, if a bit too well staged at times (as in, very obviously choreographed) but the plot and characterisation are even thinner than the first one. I just found myself not particularly giving a crap about any of it in the end. Ho hum.*

Same feel here, John Wick: Chapter 2

Alien: Covenant-

Convinced me that if I'm ever getting a tattoo, it's gonna be of a damn Xenomorph.

The Lonely Guy

I remember after I watched Rocky I went out to the park, jogging, shadow boxing, some guy came up to me and punched me right in the face

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

(James Gunn)

Those going into this film can expect to have a lot of fun, Guardians delivers on that in spades. With lots of laughs, high thrills and excellent chemistry between the cast members and new additions, this sequel has no problem entertaining you. Expect some hiccups here and there, but as a whole Guardians is a great film.

The Guardians are well known know and their current job is protecting some powerful battery cells for a 'perfect' gold species known as the Sovereign. Rocket takes it upon himself to steal a few cells because they are worth a lot of money. Ayesha, leader of the Sovereign finds out and makes it her mission to kill the Guardians. While trying to kill them and retrieve her cells, the Guardians are saved by some guy known as Ego, who claims to be Peter Quills father. Quill, Gamora and Drax go with Ego while Rocket, Baby Groot and their prisoner Nebula stay behind to fix their broken ship.

Peter's father is played by non other than Kurt Russell and that is perfect casting. Pratt and Russell are in sync with each other and pull off a believable relationship. Another new addition is Pom Klementieff who plays Mantis. Most of her interaction is with Drax and they have a few funny bits together. I fully expect more character exploration for her in the next instalment.

The rest of the cast are great, as expected. Everyone is having a lot of fun here and that's the biggest selling point here, the film is fun. With groovy tunes, colourful cinematography and exciting action, Guardians is a great popcorn flick. It seems like Marvel has taken notes from these films for some future titles like Thor. Gunn manages to balance both comedy and action well and the film is stock full of beautiful sequences full of CGI. None of it is distracting either, which was a delight.

Despite being a funny flick, I couldn't help but feel that there was a lot of forced comedy bits. The biggest fault here is with Drax. In the original film, he was on a revenge mission for the death of his family and his struggles with interacting with the Guardians as his new "family". Here he is nothing but a one-liner of a character. I was a bit disappointed in that aspect but these are small quibbles in an otherwise highly enjoyable flick.

Suspect's Reviews

“I was cured, all right!”

Darkness at his best. This is pure Lynch!
The only thing I did not like was the fact that they exchanged Lara Flynn Boyle as Doona. It would have been great to see her naked in the bar scene ... Kidding, I always find it difficult to digest characters that are changed by another actor or actress.

The Break Up (2007)

This movie started off promising. Vince Vaughn goes into early 80's Dustin Hoffman and Woody Allen territory and for a minute I get excited. Sadly the writing kills it. Aniston is fine as Vaughn's partner. She actually got my sympathy at a couple points in the film. The writing is just too stupid. You can tell the movie wants to be that great comedy drama but early on we are assaulted with nonsense shouting matches about very boring and haphazardly realized things. Dishes, lemons, etc. Just didn't make for a very weighty story since, aside from the opening scene, we have to start post relationship and then try and feel for the characters with none of the "good times" making an appearance on screen. Vaughn is a very gifted and funny man. I'm still waiting for him and his agent to make the right decision. Then again, the world needs good comedy writers with a sense of romance and they seemed to have gone up a tree somewhere.

Unregistered User

The Shout (1978)

Difficult film to review in so little time. Best I can describe this would be, a psychological folk horror with a (possible) supernatural twist. So if any of that floats your boat then give this a watch, if you can find it. It has a great cast in Alan Bates, John Hurt and Susannah York with Bates performance especially really sinister. Despite the overall ambiguousness of the film the ending works very well. Definitely a film I can see a lot of people hating on but I enjoyed it.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Instant Death - Scottish-born indie action filmmaker Ara Paiaya's latest film stars former "Hulk" Lou Ferrigno as an ex-military officer whose attempt to reunite peacefully with his estranged daughter and granddaughter in London is shattered after witnessing a murder from a drug dealing gang led by Razor (Jerry Anderson). Razor brutalizes the daughter and renders her blind and kills the teen granddaughter.

This sends Ferrigno into a frenzy as he becomes a one-man army going after anyone who stands in his way while his former military friend and a local detective hunt him down to stop his vigilantism.

Ferrigno may be 66 years old, but he still has the size and thanks to Paiaya's choreography, Ferrigno pulls off some nice close quarter combat moves when he's not blowing away bad guys with an influence from perhaps 1985's Commando to name a few.

For a straight to DVD release, this is a really good straightforward action film that has the aging action hero still showing age can't stop him. Ferrigno is great in the film, both action and acting wise here.

Final Rating: B

Collateral a great film from a great director, 9/10

Alien: Covenant
(2017) -

The power went out twice during the first half of the screening. A guy kept clearing his throat with this strange, incredibly loud growling sound. Another guy stood up halfway through during a quiet moment, said "I'm done with this" to no one in particular (he was there alone), and marched out. Despite all that, I had a pleasant time.

I was one of those people who thought Prometheus was fine. It had a lot of issues, but I didn't hate it. This has less issues, more Michael Fassbender (David was the one part of Prometheus I really liked), and didn't do anything to irritate me or cause me to roll my eyes like in the previous film. Covenant is a little light on the aliens, but I still found it interesting, and I thoroughly enjoyed the ending.

Alien: Covenant
(2017) -

The power went out twice during the first half of the screening. A guy kept clearing his throat with this strange, incredibly loud growling sound. Another guy stood up halfway through during a quiet moment, said "I'm done with this" to no one in particular (he was there alone), and marched out. Despite all that, I had a pleasant time.

I was one of those people who thought Prometheus was fine. It had a lot of issues, but I didn't hate it. This has less issues, more Michael Fassbender (David was the one part of Prometheus I really liked), and didn't do anything to irritate me or cause me to roll my eyes like in the previous film. Covenant is a little light on the aliens, but I still found it interesting, and I thoroughly enjoyed the ending.
i would need to see it to judge , it has a 75 % rotten tomatoe rating from top critics there, so i guess the film is good