Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

movies can be okay...
Primer (2004) -

One of, if not my favourite time travel movie. Every time I watch it, my love for it increases.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Eraserhead (1977) -

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Sicario (2015)

Excellent. Blunt does not play a strong female lead. She is more like a sheep that keeps trying to play civil and legal with monsters, like it's a sustainable option. Fortunately, the male cast restores common sense and saves/spares her life on several occasions. Not sure why she has that useless sidekick with her for the entire film. I really enjoyed the film on several levels. Del Toro and Brolin make the movie great for me.
Sicario (2015, 1st rewatch)
+

Last time I rated this, I wasn't yet able to add images. This film holds up extremely well for me, after my 1st rewatch. Unique approach to visuals. I just bought the DVD because I wish to support this type of quality filmmaking, and I expect to get good use out of it. Can't wait for Soldado (2017).
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sicario.png
Views:	242
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	30474  

Insidious: Chapter 3 (2015)

Having not seen the first two, I saw this movie as the first in a series instead of a prequel. A young high school girl named Quinn (Stefanie Scott) goes to see a psychic, Elise Rainier (the great Lin Shaye), who has been recommended to her by friends. Quinn wants to talk to her deceased mother. Elise finds out that Quinn has tried to contact her on her own and she warns her against this, saying that "when you call upon a dead person, they all hear!" And Elise is haunted by a spirit that has attached herself to her when she tried to contact her own dead husband. So she's not very willing to "visit the other side," being afraid that the evil spirit awaits to kill her. Meanwhile, Quinn is being haunted by an entity in her own apartment who is most definitely not her mother. All sorts of spooky things follow. Her father (Dermot Mulroney) believes his daughter is under attack and tries to get Elise to help. Meanwhile, an internet duo who "hunt ghosts" come to help, but are not very good. It's up to Elise to help but she has to face her fears. In the meantime Quinn is slowly being possessed by this evil spirit.

Very good scare-fest, with all the players doing a great job, especially the always good Shaye and the young Scott. I know about certain things in the first two movies, especially a certain Darth Maul-looking sucker who comes around, and the fact that Shaye and the two internet guys are in the first two movies, the latter something I found out just by checking out the IMDB cast list. I really want to see these first two due to this one being an enjoyable time.

Empire of the Ants (1977)

Hokey, fun time-waster, with a boat full of people going with realtor Joan Collins to a somewhat remote island to try to interest potential clients into buying property. Collins plays her usual late-career bitchy self, Robert Lansing is the boat captain, John David Carson is a somewhat cynical young man, with other familiar faces rounding out the potential investors/victims. Victims of giant ants, that is. I knew this wasn't going to be an award-winner but wow, the cheesy effect of having giant ants just being obviously superimposed ants in a terrarium is hurtful. You can see them ostensibly clustered against trees in the forest, then many of them start flailing their legs against the invisible glass and you have an affect that just turns out funny. Plus, they have a sound affect attached to them that sounds like a woman screaming soprano. Then, for the close-ups, there are giant rubber ant suits that the stars have to wrestle through. With these type of movies, I try to pick who's going to die and who's going to live, and I was spot-on this time, right down to the characters and their number. It's pretty bad, so don't feel bad if you miss it, but if you're into crappy, laughable monster flicks like I am, you'll be in hog heaven.

For the cheesy movie fanatic:

For just a straight-up movie fan:

Limelight (1952)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

The Dead Zone (1983)

Storyline maintained subdued intrigue throughout.

Top Secret! (1984)

It was charming light hearted fun.

Match Point (2005)

I already can tell it left above average impact because of it's unique style and storytelling combining sterility with conflicting emotions and shocking twists. A movie of subversive milieu.

Hush (2008)

First half was more intriguing and second was more cliché thriller, but worth a watch regardless.

Cyrus (2010)

It was not a comedy at all. The only reason rating isn't lower is because I could watch it without being annoyed.

Fist Fight (2017)

I had a non stop laugh riot and unlike with majority of comedies, it managed to keep jokes going till the end. So many absurd zingers.

Alien: Covenant (2017)

Nothing we haven't seen before. Professional but not stunning. I'd say in this case the movie could have benefited from more unifying theme and direction.

“I was cured, all right!”

Somebody calls Mr. Ridley Scott and gives him a huge round of applause! You made it. You fu***ng ruined the ALIEN franchise!
You d**b a**!!
This film sucked as hell. Not that bad as Prometheus, but... yeah!
F**k this!
If they were stupid schoolchildren who only know how to stuff their asses with drugs I'd take any stupid decisions, but they're damn scientists on a colonization ship!

WARNING: "Alien Covenant sucks" spoilers below
Don't shoot in the ****ing fuel cargo compartment your dumb ****!!!

Also, somebody gives an OSCAR to James Franco.
This was his best performance ever!

For 'James Franco' performance haha

Can't fu**ing believe that this was also directed by Scott! Damn!!
Great, great film!!!

Unregistered User
I was so disappointed by that. It was completely hammed up reality tv style.

Edit: Unless I'm thinking about a different documentary.

Nope, you've hit the nail on the head. Was awful. I'm not sure why I was so generous with that rating.

Welcome to the human race...
If they were stupid schoolchildren who only know how to stuff their asses with drugs I'd take any stupid decisions, but they're damn scientists on a colonization ship!

WARNING: "Alien Covenant sucks" spoilers below
Don't shoot in the ****ing fuel cargo compartment your dumb ****!!!
Ah yes, because if a person is a scientist on a colonisation ship, then they are automatically going to be proficient in using live weaponry calmly and accurately when faced with a small, fast-moving, and lethal creature.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Suspicion (1941)

Disappointing movie. Sound and picture quality were terrible on the dvd I saw, which didn't help. Is Cary Grant a murderer or only a feckless wastrel? Olivia de Havilland is great and it's worth watching just for her frocks, but altogether it's uneven in tone and not a patch on the somewhat similarly themed Rebecca.

Ah yes, because if a person is a scientist on a colonisation ship, then they are automatically going to be proficient in using live weaponry calmly and accurately when faced with a small, fast-moving, and lethal creature.
If you are a scientist with weaponry training on a colonisation ship YES you'll going to be proficient in using live weaponry calmly but if it's too hard because they're facing an lethal creature, they will not be that stupid and shoot in the fuel cargo!

If you are a scientist with weaponry training on a colonisation ship YES you'll going to be proficient in using live weaponry calmly but if it's too hard because they're facing an lethal creature, they will not be that stupid and shoot in the fuel cargo!
and that was just the icing on the cake...

Let's not discuss the thing about
WARNING: "covenant spoilers" spoilers below
going to another, never-seen-before planet instead of the planet that they used freaking 10 YEARS to research to make sure it was safe and a great environment for the future of the human race. Okay, I surrender to the fact that they might as well "check it out" but then they go out there with NO MASKS and even for the technological wizardry of a possible scan from the ship it's a freaking PLANET and they don't know what's out there. They go out and discover "living things" as in fields, corn, forests etc. and other life is a very strong possibility yet the captain is like "this is great!" despite of being the most careful procedure-like person on ship just a while ago when things went bad.

Then they get infected through the mouth/nose (how surprising) and one of them even goes down and looks at the thing like "oooh this is so cool". How about THIS MIGHT BE INFECTIOUS!? Then they get all weird and must be taken to the ship. Remember Ripley not letting them in, in the og. Alien? Well, despite mentioning it in passing they just go in there without any form of procedure. They continue with the infected person THROUGH the ship and finally get to a closed area. One thing leads to another and BAM! blood sprays out on a person as things go really bad. However, the girl with the blood on her face rushes out and don't want to let the other person out because "she might be infected" and suddenly safety procedures matter... and she's the one with blood on her face. Okay.

Then she goes to get a gun and THEN she opens up the place despite the other person already being freaking beyond saving. NO POINT. She then SLIPS in the blood and Scott uses that trick TWICE within 30 seconds and it's not like it's the oldest trick in the book either... Then she rushes out of the room, slips and gets her foot stuck, closes the room and THEN she finally shoots up the entire place like a madperson...

After this I was like "SCREW THIS, MAN..." This is like a 5 minute thing, tops, and it managed to fit so much dumb **** in such a small area.

Prometheus had the "oh you are so cute little fella scene" and a few plot holes and whatever, but this was beyond me... and at least Prometheus entertained me and had a lot of well made practical stuff too. Covenant was lazy, rushed, unoriginal, thin and not worth it for me...

and that was just the icing on the cake...

Let's not discuss the thing about
WARNING: "covenant spoilers" spoilers below
going to another, never-seen-before planet instead of the planet that they used freaking 10 YEARS to research to make sure it was safe and a great environment for the future of the human race. Okay, I surrender to the fact that they might as well "check it out" but then they go out there with NO MASKS and even for the technological wizardry of a possible scan from the ship it's a freaking PLANET and they don't know what's out there. They go out and discover "living things" as in fields, corn, forests etc. and other life is a very strong possibility yet the captain is like "this is great!" despite of being the most careful procedure-like person on ship just a while ago when things went bad.

Then they get infected through the mouth/nose (how surprising) and one of them even goes down and looks at the thing like "oooh this is so cool". How about THIS MIGHT BE INFECTIOUS!? Then they get all weird and must be taken to the ship. Remember Ripley not letting them in, in the og. Alien? Well, despite mentioning it in passing they just go in there without any form of procedure. They continue with the infected person THROUGH the ship and finally get to a closed area. One thing leads to another and BAM! blood sprays out on a person as things go really bad. However, the girl with the blood on her face rushes out and don't want to let the other person out because "she might be infected" and suddenly safety procedures matter... and she's the one with blood on her face. Okay.

Then she goes to get a gun and THEN she opens up the place despite the other person already being freaking beyond saving. NO POINT. She then SLIPS in the blood and Scott uses that trick TWICE within 30 seconds and it's not like it's the oldest trick in the book either... Then she rushes out of the room, slips and gets her foot stuck, closes the room and THEN she finally shoots up the entire place like a madperson...

After this I was like "SCREW THIS, MAN..." This is like a 5 minute thing, tops, and it managed to fit so much dumb **** in such a small area.

Prometheus had the "oh you are so cute little fella scene" and a few plot holes and whatever, but this was beyond me... and at least Prometheus entertained me and had a lot of well made practical stuff too. Covenant was lazy, rushed, unoriginal, thin and not worth it for me...
Exactly what I think !!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Suspicion (1941)
Olivia de Havilland is great and it's worth watching just for her frocks, but altogether it's uneven in tone and not a patch on the somewhat similarly themed Rebecca.
It's Olivia's younger sister, Joan Fontaine.

Inside Daisy Clover (1965)

Bon Cop Bad Cop 2 (2017) -

While the original was a comedic buddy cop action film that lovingly poked fun at Canadian culture, the sequel takes a far more serious tone with a sense of humour that is much subtler than it's predecessor.

Since this is a sequel to an 11-year old film, audiences who saw the first film when it was new may be looking for a more mature story this time around, and that really is what Bon Cop Bad Cop 2 delivers. While I missed the quirkiness of the first film, I like that they chose to dial back that eccentricity rather than doubling down on it. It still has humours moments, but it's a little more clever, which suits the new tone just fine.

I didn't enjoy BCBC2 as much as the original, but I was still very content with what was presented, and left the theatre with the two other people who showed up to the screening in a good mood, with a smile on my face. And that's really all that matters.