Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

For me,
after having a fun discussion about The Three Musketeers with clazor, his favorite being the Disney version, it got me very much in the mood to watch my favorite version:

(COUNTLESS REWATCHES) The Three Musketeers (1973)
With an iconic cast of the time: Oliver Reed, Richard Chamberlain, Michael York, Christopher Lee, Charlton Heston, Faye Dunaway and Raquel Welch; for me, this movie delivers swashbuckling adventure with comedic aplomb and style. While this is a first part to a two part film (the second being Four Musketeers since while filming the director realized that he could do a huge 4 hour plus film or just make two - and so he did) it easily stands alone.
Utter and complete fun. Love this movie. Love it, love it, love it!!
I had to get the box set.
Probably one of the truer versions to Dumas' D'artagan Romances.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I imagine that red cross is supposed to be a crosshair but also representing the character's religious beliefs? Very good – also makes me connect to Garfield's other current film, Silence.
He also plays a medic.

Suspect's Reviews

Crimson Peak: 6/10 the cinematography is all wrong, we never feel as if we're in that mansion, or even the era, perhaps it's the aspect ratio, or simply the framing, but you're never immersed in the film. regarding the film itself, eh, it's not bad, but doesn't do much exceptionally well on either the horror or romance, or even performances, falling a bit flat. personally i'm wondering if Guillermo is a one hit wonder with Pan's Labyrinth.

This might just do nobody any good.

It's okay. Almost interesting. It fluctuates between being B-movie fodder and trying to be a thoughtful commentary on imperialism and slavery. It mostly succeeds in being the former but the division hurts the final product.

There's some issues with the story and characters being presented to a modern audience, that should be obvious, and it never rises above that.

Skarsgard and Robbie are pretty bland. Samuel L. Jackson is good but undermined. Christoph Waltz is also naturally fun to watch. Like a Fitzcarraldo who kills people with a rosary. I can't believe I just typed that.

WARNING: spoilers below
Also, one of Waltz' motivations seems to be that he really wants to f**k Tarzan. So there's that.

6/10

Arrival (2016)

I was looking forward to this because of the hype, but I had limited expectations due to my taste. I knew nothing about it, figuring it was basically another make contact with aliens movie. I knew right from the beginning montage that it wasn't, and except for a slight lull around the middle, I was kept riveted. The movie wraps up in a very satisfying manner and leaves the viewer with plenty to think about. Amy Adams was a force as usual. My rating would probably go up with another viewing.

Secret in Their Eyes: 5.7/10

decent performances, but dull story, messily told with transitions to flashbacks being nonexistent, and sometimes indistinguishable from the current timeline.
I hope you mean the remake. Because the original is a masterpiece.

I hope you mean the remake. Because the original is a masterpiece.
Oh no yeah, the remake. Haven't seen the original yet.

Morvern Callar -
-

First of all there's spoilers here so don't read on if you haven't seen it. WIth Lynne Ramsay bringing out a film later this year i thought i should see the last i hadn't yet. Ratcatcher is one of my favourite films and i liked We Need To Talk About Kevin alot; i thought this was pretty great i'd have it in the middle of those two.

There isn't much of a plot. It starts of with Morvern lying on the floor next to the dead (clearly recently) body of who we later find out is her boyfriend. He killed himself leaving a suicide note and the manuscript of his novel (dedicated to Morvern) and the rest of the movie is watching Morvern react to it; she doesn't report him dead instead keeping his body in her house clearly out of some king of denial/shock. Some of her reactions are tough to understand simply because i couldn't begin to imagine what a situation like this would be like. Sometimes she seems deeply troubled, sometimes she seems like her mind just isn't there as if she is having some quiet mental breakdown and at times she is completely fine having a great time with her friends. The main thing that baffled me was her deleting the suicide note, getting rid of the body/cleaning the house and taking credit for his novel and spending the money he left for the funeral. At that point i briefly considered it possible that she had killed him and that was her planned coverup that she didn't go through with but no he really did kill himself. It's not really made clear if she did this for selfish reasons or if it was possibly out of anger at him for taking his life, either way it's just such a baffling thing to do since surely people are going to come looking for him and you will be the number one suspect. Not to mention the fact that she cuts his body up in her bathtub while listening to music like a complete psychopath. After this she goes to Spain with her friend spending most of it in multiple weird moods, sometimes bad and sometimes good. That's pretty much what happens. the atmosphere and Samantha Mortons performance are what make the film; she is really excellent.

I can see the way it's shot at times annoying some but i personally loved it. There's alot of closeups, the camera is always on the move and sometimes it's blurry/in and out of focus, characters shouting often over music or each other, etc, i think it created the right atmosphere though. Particularly in the first party scene which must have (it's never confirmed how long he has been dead when the film begins or how long it has been when she goes out) take place only a few hours after he died. There's also quite a few scenes of Morvern listening to music while doing nothing pretty much which i can see others finding tedious, i loved the soundtrack so i was fine with it. While some of the film looks as i described earlier some of it is really beautiful as well, like when they are by the loch or lost in Spain. Anyway very good film; in the middle of Ratcatcher and We Need To Talk About Kevin for me, can't wait for Ramsay's next film.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
O Lucky Man! (1973)
-

Weird. It has enough interesting stuff and a good enough cast, but, it is a long and messy watch. An acquired taste. Music wasn't bad.

LEGO Batman is cool, just took the kids to see it.
Sadly, there's a lot of jokes younger kids won't understand. References to other Batman films and other films in general... and some massive nods to the 1966 Batman series.
Most of it was lost on my two littl'uns aged 10 and 11.

for kids
for adults

The truth is in here
Scary, well-acted, great plot... It's already the most underrated movie of the year!

I don't know how you guys rated the movies with popcorn bags, but I give this an 8.4/10!

I don't know how you guys rated the movies with popcorn bags, but I give this an 8.4/10!

[*rating]1[/rating*]

Remove the * marks that I put in the brackets and it looks like this

For 1.5 it's [*rating]1.5[/rating*]
and so on .
Ratings only go 0, 0.5, 1, 1.5... up to 5.

@Yoda i've brought this up a few times but i'm not sure if you or the other mods ever saw it with this thread moving as fast as it does usually; mention system comes in handy. Could you maybe move Miss Vicky's thread explaining the popcorn box ratings to Important in General Movie Discussion and/or Movie Reviews? It makes more sense, Site Stuff would be one of the last places i'd go if i just joined here because it's at the bottom of the threads and also most people are eager to talk about movies first then they usually drift into off-topic if they want to stick around.