Iro's Film Diary

→ in
Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

Sarandon looking mighty fine in this pic.

Suspect's Reviews

Welcome to the human race...
#446 - Doctor Strange
Scott Derrickson, 2016

A neurosurgeon who wishes to heal his damaged hands learns of a secret society that is capable of harnessing powerful magic.

Given how much Doctor Strange is concerned with paradoxes regarding time and space, it almost seems fitting that it's the film to really hammer home how much of the Marvel Cinematic Universe is built upon a cinematic paradox. Marvel's elaborate network of inter-connecting films and TV shows have all served as building blocks for a cultural entity that is greater than the sum of its parts, yet this becomes something of a problem when it comes to assessing it one part at a time. Though Marvel obviously tries to court an audience that will return time and time again to see each new piece of the puzzle slot into place, it is understandable that they also want to draw in casual moviegoers who may have little or no interest in seeing the entire enterprise unfold and Just Want To See A Movie. This becomes especially apparent whenever Marvel produces a movie that offers something sufficiently different to their usual superhero productions - the superficial weirdness only ends up drawing closer attention to the conventional nature of the underlying framework. Outwardly unusual films like Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man still depended on some rather straightforward plotting and characterisation - as a result, the measure of their success ends up being how much they succeeded at being different in spite of their underlying sameness.

This brings us to Doctor Strange, which marks the fourteenth big-screen entry in the MCU and definitely feels like it. The MCU has already had at least a couple of vehicles based around a capable yet arrogant protagonist who is humbled by personal tragedy and subsequently undertakes a journey towards heroism - this does effectively summarise the tale of the eponymous surgeon (Benedict Cumberbatch). This does result in a rather tedious first act that establishes Strange, mainly by having him trade some rather barbed dialogue with a no-nonsense colleague/ex-girlfriend (Rachel McAdams) before eventually setting off to cure his career-ending ailment. From there, he must contend with the difficulties of training under a nameless sorceress (Tilda Swinton) and an experienced mentor (Chiwetel Ejiofor). Not only does he have to overcome his stubbornly scientific worldview in order to become a master conjurer, but he must also rise to the challenge set forth by a rogue sorcerer (Mads Mikkelsen) who is carrying out a nefarious plan. The simplicity of the narrative is only reflected by how disconnected the film is from the MCU at large; save for the very occasional reference to the franchise's greater mythology, it is effectively its own film. While this does free up the film to tell its own story rather than depend on an audience's familiarity with the established canon, this also puts greater emphasis on developing a strong story and it never truly feels like it does go beyond some very basic functionality.

Of course, this simplistic approach can be considered acceptable if the movie lives up to the adjective in the title when it comes to everything else. Doctor Strange has the unenviable task of trying to distinguish itself in a manner that only seems to lean into several of Marvel's most criticised qualities. A formulaic narrative is one thing, but that can almost be considered a mere side-effect of the franchise's need to provide visual extravaganzas (especially during the action-packed third acts that can be at odds with whatever has come before). The fact that I could only find 3D screenings of Doctor Strange seems to confirm how much emphasis is being placed upon the visual side of things, though I do wonder if the 3D can just as easily work against the movie. The magic involved in Doctor Strange takes on a variety of forms - conjuring weapons, warping architecture, traveling across dimensions, and so forth - but there are times when the intricacy of these colourful creations can become overbearing and result in sequences that struggle to maintain focus on what's actually happening. It's at the point where I feel like I need to actually watch this in 2D to get a better handle on what's going on, though that doesn't necessarily make the action sequences totally unwatchable either. If anything, there are quite a few strong moments of spectacle that definitely help to distinguish it among this year's crop of superhero movies - even issues with 3D projection aren't enough to completely dilute their power.

Doctor Strange may not be the definitive Marvel movie, but it certainly embodies much of what there is to either appreciate or criticise about the studio's output. Some capable actors do what they can with material that occasionally smacks of inspiration and leads to a handful of solid interpersonal scenes but feels dry for the most part. This is especially true when the film opts to go for thematic substance that reflects its bright and twisted aesthetic (which Mikkelsen seems best at delivering as he explains his motivations) and makes for a sufficient variation on what has gone before, though its existential leanings only go so far as they do result in rare pay-offs. At the very least, Doctor Strange feels like a movie that I actually want to see again, even if it is merely to compare how well it holds up without the distracting level of flashiness provided by 3D projection. It does have some issues distinguishing itself favourably and it does have long stretches where it struggles to stay interesting, but it's got just enough strength to make it kind of work, which is about as much as you can hope for in this case.

#447 - Transformers: Age of Extinction
Michael Bay, 2014

When an inventor discovers that an old truck he has salvaged is actually an alien cyborg, he becomes caught up in a military-industrial conspiracy.

Yeah, yeah, what did I expect? After Dark of the Moon marked a bit of an upswing from the atrocity of Revenge of the Fallen, Age of Extinction could have conceivably improved upon that - but there's the way it should be and there's the way it is. Mark Wahlberg's presence here feels like someone used a monkey's paw to wish Shia LaBeouf out of the franchise - his whole "overprotective/useless single dad" schtick wears very thin before too long even by the low standards that these movies have for their human characters. The supporting cast is wasted in some thankless roles (especially T.J. Miller, though he is arguably better off for not having to get the same material that Stanley Tucci does) and as for the actual Transformers themselves...well, somehow it's lacking even the relative level of craft that was featured in Dark of the Moon (even going so far as to replicate certain moments to lesser effect). At least John Goodman voicing an Autobot with a drill sergeant's personality is a minor highlight. I can't quite decide if this is better or worse than Revenge of the Fallen, but that's really not a distinction that I or anyone reading this is likely to care about.

#448 - Prince of Darkness
John Carpenter, 1987

A team of university researchers are tasked with investigating an abandoned church only to be targeted by Satanic forces.

It's pretty easy to think of this as lesser Carpenter in terms of being a horror movie, but Prince of Darkness at least has enough personality for make for a watchable piece of work. It's got an interesting conflation of science and faith that allows for the creation of some interesting visuals (and not just in terms of some low-grade body horror but also in terns of religious horror) plus one hell of an ending. At least Carpenter's bringing a decent level of craft to the proceedings and is backed up by numerous former collaborators (with obvious examples including Donald Pleasence and Victor Wong, though Dennis Dun playing a weirdly likeable jerkass is a highlight). Throw in a random appearance by Alice Cooper as a murderous transient and there's quite a bit to like about this even when there shouldn't be.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
All the transformers movies pretty much sucked after the first.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

I'd say it includes the first, though I'd say the first and third ones suck less than the second and fourth ones. As noted earlier, I wouldn't be opposed to ranking the third over the first.

The Transformers film are mind numbing. I'm watching a film about giant robots and destruction and all I can think of is how do I not fall asleep here?

I'll also go on record in saying the second is the worst of the series.

The Transformers film are mind numbing. I'm watching a film about giant robots and destruction and all I can think of is how do I not fall asleep here?

I'll also go on record in saying the second is the worst of the series.
Bay has a way of keeping you awake but give you a headache instead of letting you sleep and then when the movie is over you can't sleep because you have a headache...

Sly bastard that Bay...

Bay has a way of keeping you awake but give you a headache instead of letting you sleep and then when the movie is over you can't sleep because you have a headache...

Sly bastard that Bay...
Specifically for the third film I was literally falling asleep and waking up to the same sequence ten minutes later. Couldn't believe it.

Specifically for the third film I was literally falling asleep and waking up to the same sequence ten minutes later. Couldn't believe it.
I wasn't falling asleep, but I was desperately trying my best to keep my attention to what was happening on screen. I was literally exerting myself as best as I could, forcing myself to stay "interested". The longest of already lengthy movies I ever had to sit through. The final act of Age of Extinction really did give me a serious headache. Ugh. Glad I didn't see it in the cinemas and in 3D... that would have been painful to say the least.

The second one is incredibly awful (especially that entire college sequence), but the fourth matches and possibly outdoes it.

I hated the fourth, don't get me wrong...but damn....the second one is beyond terrible. When they literally stop the film so that Turturro can explain the plot to the viewer, I nearly got up and left. You already mentioned the stupid college scenes with the 'terminator-esque" robot. The more blatant than the first product placement (the fourth is bad here too), robot heaven, robot balls,racist stereotyped robots....I don't want to go on because....headache.

Transformers

Transformers 2

Transformers 3

Transformers 4

Or somewhere around there.

#449 - Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
Edward Zwick, 2016

A former soldier must come to the aid of a military acquaintance who has been framed for espionage.

To paraphrase my recent post about the original Jack Reacher, movies of this kind can rise above their outwardly mediocre appearances just fine if they manage to bring the right amount of craft and personality to the proceedings. Even Mission: Impossible II - which, as of writing, is the only other immediate sequel to feature Tom Cruise - arguably benefited from having a distinctive action auteur like John Woo behind the camera to help make its action-packed tale of corporate espionage work. Jack Reacher definitely benefited from relying on an unlikely auteur in the form of Christopher McQuarrie (who not only directed but personally adapted the source material), but follow-up Never Go Back has no such authorial voice and it shows to a rather regrettable extent. Instead of truly embracing the pulpiness of its source, Never Go Back plays out in a manner that seems even more pedestrian than one might expect from a movie of this caliber.

In fairness, Never Go Back doesn't do everything wrong. There is a sub-plot where Reacher has to contend with the fact that he may or may not have an illegitimate teenage daughter and is subsequently forced to keep her safe from harm anyway. While Danika Yarosh does not do too badly as the delinquent youth in question (insofar as her presence does not become severely grating and does not feel completely without purpose), it reflects badly on the rest of the cast that can barely create much of an impression (let alone a positive one). This is especially true of the dynamic (or lack thereof) between Cruise's lone-wanderer anti-hero and Cobie Smulders' career-driven major, which may have the benefit of having lone-wolf Reacher dealing with an equally capable military figure but often results in chemistry-free diatribes. The action itself is similarly underwhelming - there's little in the way of tension or excitement or even humour to any of the moments where the movie runs through some exceedingly generic set-pieces and becomes what may just be the most flat-out boring movie of 2016.

#450 - My Neighbours the Yamadas
Isao Takahata, 1999

An anthology of stories about the day-to-day lives of an ordinary Japanese family.

I definitely give this credit for trying something different to Ghibli's usual output not just in terms of employing a radically different visual style but also in favouring an episodic structure over a feature-length narrative. However, I'd say that it the latter factor that works against the movie as it becomes more concerned with delivering swift and comical vignettes over building a particularly organic whole - entire scenes can be set up and finished in a matter of seconds, but that can become a little exhausting over the course of a hundred minutes (and only becomes more noticeable when the film opts to indulge lengthier sequences that involve fantastic imagery).

#451 - Fright Night
Tom Holland, 1985

A high-school student becomes convinced that his new next-door neighbour is a vampire.

Fright Night gets by mainly on the basis of being a bit of an odd duck when it comes to horror. Its focus on resurrecting old-school vampire tropes for the slasher-loving '80s practically guarantees that it'll be corny even with its gross transformations and the usual level of violent seduction one associates with vampires, but at least it kind of leans into the absurdity and manages to produce an amusing little B-movie. While it does rely on the "nobody believes me" angle for a bit too long, it does make up for it with some decent '80s aesthetics (that main theme is glorious, as are the actual effects used) and backs it up with some decent performances from Chris Sarandon and especially Roddy McDowall. It's not exactly a favourite, but it's not something I'd feel averse to watching again.

#452 - The Howling
Joe Dante, 1981

A news anchor heads to a countryside retreat in order to recover from a traumatic experience but must contend with the threat of werewolves.

Having already seen the notoriously awful Howling II earlier this year, watching the original Howling presented an interesting conundrum regarding how films should balance technical competence and entertainment value. Dante's film favours the former and makes for a watchable piece of work thanks to some solid transformation effects and Dante's rather deft touch when it comes to balancing humour against horror. The only issue is that it does seem a little inconsequential at times as it breezes through a plot that doesn't offer too many superficial or nuanced scares. It's not bad, but Dante's done better before and since.

#453 - Bad Boys
Rick Rosenthal, 1983

When a teenage boy commits vehicular manslaughter, he is sent to a juvenile correctional facility.

As far as prison movies go (or at least movies about prison-like facilities), this one does come across as relatively tame and inconsequential. That's not to say that it doesn't have its moments of brutality and ugliness here and there, but they are only part and parcel of its largely uninteresting tale of juvenile delinquents that I'm not sure is either aided or compromised by its flat visual approach.