Sexy Cineplexy: Reviews

→ in
Tools    

I'm not sure if I have ever read one of your reviews, but anyhow, this is EXACTLY how I would've expected a Sexy Celebrity review to be like.
SC's reviews are always worth a look, whether you've seen/heard of/care about the film or not.

LADYBUGS

Directed by Sidney J. Furie
Released in 1992
Starring Rodney Dangerfield as Chester Lee, Jackée as Julie Benson, Jonathan Brandis as Matthew/Martha, Ilene Graff as Bess, Vinessa Shaw as Kimberly Mullen and Tom Parks as Dave Mullen

Ladybugs is the beautiful story of a man who will do ANYTHING to get a promotion at work -- including putting his girlfriend's teenage son in a girls' soccer team dressed in drag. That son would be Jonathan Brandis, the boy from The Neverending Story II who committed suicide, and that man would be Rodney Dangerfield, comedy legend extraordinaire.

Rodney has been doing some kind of job for the past 12 years. He works with Jackée, a sassy black lady and good friend. He goes to see a self help guru at the very start of the movie in order to boost his confidence for his big interview with the boss. Boss man, Dave Mullen, isn't planning on giving Rodney a promotion, but when his bimbo wife cries for a new coach for their daughter's soccer league -- and Rodney tries kissing ass with the boss by acting like he knows soccer -- they make Rodney the new coach, even though he doesn't know a thing about soccer. Jackée gets dragged into the mess as his assistant and before you know it, they're expected to coach a WINNING TEAM! The only problem is, of course -- the girls suck. They can't play soccer probably any better than Rodney could.

Enter a crossdressing Jonathan Brandis. Who is, without a doubt, one of the most PATHETIC teenage transvestite soccer players to ever grace a movie screen. The outfit consists of a blonde pageboy wig and a pink, polka-dotted dress that even Stephen King's Carrie White would deem too boring. He can't even change his voice to sound feminine. Anyway -- he happens to be great at sports, so he saves the Ladybugs from utter failure and helps them win games. Of course, he also has a mad crush on Kimberly Mullen, the daughter of Rodney's boss, who's on the team.

Believe it or not, Ladybugs isn't that good. It's a bizarre movie -- it's both geared toward being a little Rodney Dangerfield risqué, and toward being a kids' flick. But it's PG-13. And it's filled with A LOT of innuendo and sexual puns. You'd think Honeykid wrote the screenplay. While on an elevator, for instance, Rodney and Bess, his girlfriend, are discussing wedding invitations with Jackée. "What could be better than wedding invitations?" asks Bess. Just then, three random guys leaving the elevator loudly proclaim, "GETTING OFF! GETTING OFF! GETTING OFF!"

Later, Jonathan Brandis is in drag mode, trying on a dress in a girls' clothing store -- "It's for his twin sister!" Rodney tells the saleslady. He goes into the changing room with Jonathan. A horrified mother watches as Rodney appears to be doing something VERY inappropriate with a "girl" in the changing room. Rodney then comes out of the changing room and approaches her young daughter. "Hey, little girl! You sure are pretty!" Rodney tells her. The mother practically drops dead of a heart attack.

This film could NEVER be made today, I imagine. It is politically incorrect to the MAX. But it's those moments that save the film and ultimately redeem it from total film history annihilation, which it would have hit without that stuff -- it's got a 14% rating currently at Rotten Tomatoes.

Ladybugs isn't the best, and it's heading towards the worst -- but, as I said, I feel it doesn't quite get there. It's a ludicrous movie, but it knows it. I just wish they had gone a bit more extreme and tried not to be quasi-kid friendly at times. But maybe that's what makes it stand out. I remember Ladybugs on TV when I was a kid. I saw it and didn't think much of it back then, but it remained in my memory. It was that memory that made me wanna give it another try and I'm glad it did. For me, this was my first taste of Rodney Dangerfield and frankly -- I tried Caddyshack once before and that was FAR worse.

Nice review Sexy but not a fan of Dangerfield

Good review, Sexy, sounds like a weird film.

Can't help but see a young Frances McDormand in that photo of the boy in girl's clothes (especially looking from a distance). Probably just me.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Never heard of the film and can safely say I won't be tracking it down anytime soon. However I want to thank you Sexy for reminding me about a film that I loved as a kid but won't have seen for more than 20 years probably - Rover Dangerfield.

I'd completely forgotten about that film. I'd like to try and give that a watch at some point just out of curiousity.

THE MARTIAN

Directed by Ridley Scott
Released in 2015
Starring Matt Damon as Mark Watney, Jessica Chastain as Melissa Lewis, Jeff Daniels as Teddy Sanders, Chiwetel Ejiofor as Vincent Kapoor, Benedict Wong as Bruce Ng and Michael Peña as Rick Martinez

The real rescue mission going on with The Martian involves the movie trying to save ITSELF from being totally awful, because I kinda hated the first 40 minutes of it. I can understand why some people are saying they didn't like this movie. It started off with a pretty exciting, fast moving opening sequence involving a crew on Mars hastily trying to get off the planet to avoid a monstrous storm -- and they leave behind Matt Damon's character after he gets hit by something kinda huge, and when he doesn't reappear -- and they have no time to wait -- they leave him for dead.

But, of course, as you should know -- he's not dead.

And now he's stranded on Mars.

And then the movie starts to seem INCREDIBLY upsetting. At least it did for me. I expected to experience some really emotional drama going on with Damon's character, where he would probably lose it when he realizes everyone's left him stranded on F'ING MARS.

INSTEAD.... he geeks out. It instantly becomes a How To manual on how to grow crops on Mars (apparently he used his own crap as fertilizer?) He doesn't lose it... he merely starts getting right to work. Pretty soon, he's basically almost HAPPY to be stranded on Mars and he's grooving to some loud disco music (which he claims he hates). This felt terribly, terribly wrong. While I can understand that in order to survive, you need to get to work -- YOU'RE STRANDED ON MARS. At LEAST breakdown momentarily.

The Martian, I felt -- and it still really feels like this even later on -- it felt like it was trying really hard to be hip. It has a "badass" sort of "science can solve all of your problems" approach to the story. It was a movie for hipsters who like to watch TED talk videos. You know, those videos of all these different people talking about something scientific. And with Jeff Daniels in it, it's almost a weird continuation of Dumb and Dumber To when he and Jim Carrey attended their movie's version of a TED convention.

Somehow miraculously, the movie starts to grow on you -- but it took me about 45 minutes. By the end of the movie, I was riveted, moderately, and not feeling like I had wasted money getting this movie -- something I was feeling much earlier. So the movie saved itself from being truly, truly awful. I was at one point thinking it was going to be one of the worst movies I had ever seen.

What saved it from being a huge mess? Hard to say exactly. Back on Earth, NASA struggles desperately to send out a rescue ship before Matt Damon runs out of food. Matt figures out how to communicate with everyone by finding some old 1996 Pathfinder space camera/rover/satellite thing that was left on Mars years before (I'm not even sure WHAT year it's supposed to be in The Martian presently, though it looks like now, kind of). Once he starts communicating with NASA, everything just gets going. I remember I actually told myself after I started thinking the movie was awful.... "Okay... it sucks. It sucks. Accept that it sucks and go along with it." From there, I guess I just kinda relaxed into it and let go. I went all Zen with this piece of sh*t Martian movie and suddenly I experienced happiness and enlightenment, sort of.

I won't say what all happens later in the movie -- find out yourselves -- and frankly, I always hate typing up details about the plot of a movie anyway. But I'll say this -- as I've told other people I've talked with about the movie -- I felt like I was watching Alien in a way. It was like a non-horror movie version of Alien. Especially THE END. I loved the ending.

WEIRDLY, I also felt like I was watching The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert! They have practically THE SAME SOUNDTRACK. Disco music! Abba! Freakin' "Waterloo" plays during this movie while on Mars. The end credits play "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor. And the whole freakin' Martian landscape looks like Australia. You EXPECT drag queen Martians to show up any minute. Pink UFOs and everything!

This movie was like Alien, The Adventures of Priscilla, Dumb and Dumber To and Good Will Hunting all rolled up into one.

And Saw when he has to take a metal object out of his abs (or whatever) and it gets all bloody.

And all you documentary lovers might like Matt Damon's instructions on how to grow crops on Mars and all that.

You even see him nude.

I think it might get better the more you rewatch it. I might be a little generous here with my rating, but even though this movie's kinda stupid, it's still memorable in an interesting way. I won't be disappointed if it wins Best Picture.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity
This movie was like Alien, The Adventures of Priscilla, Dumb and Dumber To and Good Will Hunting all rolled up into one.
I so hope they put that quote on the cover of the DVD and Blu-ray when they're released

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity
The way he said "fabulous"... he had it nailed. More nailed than Jesus.
*laughs*

Jesus Camp was really weird. Since the creators don't take any particular stance on it, for the vast majority of it I thought it was trying to promote the camp.

Reading your reviews is one of the most hilarious thing I've ever done! nice job SC

With all of his obsession over the hidden codes behind posters, i think his coloured words might be some sort of review within a review. Two of the messages i decoded that i don't exactly know the meaning of yet:

How to crap happy. You're stranded on Mars!

Australia expect pink ufos!!

Great review SC

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Haha, great review on The Martian. I sort of felt the same way you did regarding Damon's emotions/reaction. The guy was left on mars by his crew and he acted like he was left on a f***** bus. If i was NASA i would of just left him there. He obvisouly wern't bothered at all.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

Good review. The Martian worked for me because I knew what kind of movie it was when going in. I knew it would be kind of funny and with an optimistic spirit to it. I loved how far out crazy it was, it was so fun and uplifting to watch.

Glad you enjoyed it by the end of it, Sexy.

WHO'S THAT GIRL

Directed by James Foley
Released in 1987
Starring Madonna as Nikki Finn, Griffin Dunne as Louden Trott, Haviland Morris as Wendy Worthington, John McMartin as Mr. Worthington, Coati Mundi as Raoul, Dennis Burkley as Benny, Robert Swan as Detective Bellson, Drew Pillsbury as Detective Doyle, John Mills as Montgomery Bell, James Dietz as Buck and Faith Minton as Donovan

Move over, Mannequin -- the IN movie this year from 1987 is Who's That Girl, the box office bomb from Madonna that spawned its own Who's That Girl Madonna World Tour in the '80s.

Considered by many to be one of the worst movies ever made (among thousands - millions? - more that share the same reputation), Who's That Girl features an almost unrecognizable Madonna as Nicole "Nikki" Finn, a street smart gal from Philadelphia who's been in jail for four years for a crime she did NOT commit. Madonna here is so unlike the Madonna we've known her as in real life that you (or at least I) kinda hate her for not being more Nikki Finn-like in person. I actually kinda miss whatever happened to this crazy woman. It's almost as if she's an actress we either never saw again or she died from the Sexy Curse or something.

It's the day before Louden Trott's (Griffin Dunne of American Werewolf in London, After Hours and Dallas Buyers Club) wedding. He's an attorney working under Mr. Worthington... and he's marrying Mr. Worthington's daughter, played by that bimbo everyone knows as the rich girl who took a nude shower in front of Molly Ringwald in Sixteen Candles.

Mr. Worthington, however, has a dirty little secret -- four years ago, he hired two goons to murder Nikki Finn's boyfriend, who then stuffed the body in the trunk of Nikki's car, framing her for murder. Somehow - AFTER ONLY FOUR YEARS - Nikki is getting out of jail due to good behavior (pretty shocking how she was able to get out on "good behavior" considering the things she does during the rest of the film, but she has her ways). Wrapped around Nikki's neck, however, on a necklace -- is a key. The key to a safe deposit box at a bank. Her boyfriend gave her the key, and the safe deposit box contains evidence that will point to the real murderer of her boyfriend. But she needs to find out which bank the box is at, and what the box number is. Yes, her boyfriend probably should have just told her, but according to the cartoon that plays during the opening credits which tells us the backstory (while Madonna's "Causing a Commotion" plays on the soundtrack), her boyfriend was on the run, ran by her, dropped the key in her hand and then continued running away, from the bad guys, presumably, who soon shot him to death.

SO.... (are you still with me?) ..... Mr. Worthington wants to make sure that Madonna/Nikki Finn gets on the bus to Philadelphia, so she won't stay in New York and go do some business of finding the real bad guys. He sends out Louden to go pick her up from jail. Louden already has a tight, busy schedule since he is getting married the next day. This should go smoothly, right? WRONG. Nikki Finn gets into the driver's seat of his family's luxury car, turns on the ignition, and off they go, zigzagging down the road and stopping at malls and Harlem to purchase guns, McDonald's, you name it. It's an adventure through New York with Madonna, full of violence and grand theft. She is a Bad Girl and she will not be denied. She will know vengeance!

The film is zany and funny and truly one of a kind. There's even a rare tiger in the backseat of Louden's car that rides along with them, whom he is supposed to deliver. Nikki names the tiger Murray. If you've ever seen the old Katharine Hepburn film, Bringing Up Baby -- this film is kinda like that. It was inspired by it.

Nothing in the film is really realistic. It's like a cartoon. The film begins with a cartoon in the opening credits and it pretty much stays a cartoon even in live action. Near the end of the movie, Madonna finally boards that bus to Philadelphia, but then she realizes that she needs to turn around and head back to stop Louden's wedding. The bus turns around for her. The passengers (mostly black women) even exit the bus and crash the wedding, immediately heading towards the tables with food on them. All while a major Madonna soundtrack plays practically continuously.

Basically, it's a crazy love story. Nikki and Louden do fall in love. She breaks up the marriage. But that's okay because the bride's father is a murderer and the bride herself has slept with every disgusting looking taxi cab driver in New York (in their cabs!) She and Louden eventually head back to Philadelphia with two rare tigers (Murray finds himself a mate, too).

Madonna seems to have been inspired by the rebels and bad boy films of the 1950's here. Besides a nod to Marlon Brando when she kisses a poster of him from The Wild One in her jail cell, she herself is dressed almost like a member of that movie. Intriguing androgynous sexuality is played with via the character of Donovan, Nikki Finn's lesbian-ish prison warden, a tall, glamorously mannish actress who seems to have a love/hate relationship with Nikki. And the casting choice of Liz Sheridan (Jerry's mom on Seinfeld) as a nurse is interesting, too, since I know for a fact that Liz Sheridan is an old girlfriend of James Dean (she wrote a book about their relationship, dizzy & jimmy). Madonna seems to be exploring old Hollywood legends here in this movie. Not long after this movie came out, she made "Vogue", the song where she reads off a list of old glamorous Hollywood actors and actresses, like Marlon Brando and James Dean.

Who's That Girl has a notorious reputation as a bad movie, but frankly, I think it's great for what it is. The style is over the top and ridiculous, but why should every movie have to be serious? It's good to watch once. IN FACT, as I was mentioning to SilentVamp just a moment ago.... remember when I said I was gonna nominate a bad movie for the current Hall of Fame? Who's That Girl was gonna be it. Yes. You all would have been watching Who's That Girl if I had joined that Hall of Fame.

I can't remember that movie, but I'm pretty sure I went to see it when it came out. As always, great review. Your reviews are always fun to read, even if I don't care about the movie.

BLACK SWAN
(directed by Darren Aronofsky, 2010)

Black Swan is one of the best films that has come out in YEARS. Although it gets a little out of control at the very end of the movie, being out of control was totally the point. The cinematography is fresh and darkly beautiful in its lush overabudance of blacks, greys and whites. The acting is perfect. The story is engaging and rich and potent. The overall effect is one of genius and power. A twisted tale of a neurotic mother and her daughter who's driven to perfection, I was reminded of Brian De Palma's Carrie. I think this is one of the most substantial movies to have come out in a long time. The female curse of striving to work sexiness, purity, sluttiness, sanity and absolute beauty is examined here, from all its ups and downs, culminating in a creation that is timeless and sincere.

Natalie Portman stars as Nina Sayers, a young ballet dancer who dreams of being The Swan Queen in Swan Lake. To be The Swan Queen, you must embrace the good and bad sides of the Queen - the White Swan and the Black Swan. Nina is a pro at being the White Swan -- thanks to her years of always working towards perfection, aided by her destructive home life given in large part to her mother, a failure in the eyes of the world. However, being the Good Girl has severely contained and restricted Nina's dark side -- but it's there. An extreme white has to have an extreme black. When she goes to see the director about landing the part of The Swan Queen, he tries to seduce her with a kiss - she bites him. She refuses his kiss of death and lands the role of The Swan Queen.

The rest of the movie is about her work as she prepares to become the perfect Black Swan. This requires a lot of deterioration of her sanity and the persona she's carried with her for probably all of her life. She becomes angrier, she hallucinates, she hangs out with the bad girl and even has a lesbian sex scene (straight guys, take note.) She is preparing for her role, whether she realizes it or not.

Darren Aronofsky, who also directed The Fountain, which was a mind blowing tour de force, is a grade A mastermind of motion pictures. Black Swan deserved the Best Picture award at the Academy Awards this year. I still haven't seen The King's Speech, but I'm sure it can't beat this. Don't even try to waste your time persuading me. I'll make my judgement later when I've seen it.

Winona Ryder has a small role in this movie, which surprised me. She is the former Swan Queen. She was perfectly cast. Her age and her own private dark history allowed her to fit into what she was here so well. Natalie Portman is not someone I've cared much for as an actress before, but she has finally found a role she was meant to be in and her Academy Award for Best Actress was deserved.

Do see Black Swan.

Even though you liked this movie a LOT more than I did, I really enjoyed reading your review.

TAXI DRIVER
(directed by Martin Scorsese, 1976)

I guess I never truly watched Taxi Driver until yesterday. I must have missed the ending or something before. I vividly remembered most of the movie, even though it's been years since I saw it. But I always thought...

WARNING: "Taxi Driver" spoilers below
Travis Bickle had killed Palantine. I was blown away by the fact that he turned out to be a good guy!

So, it was almost a virginal experience for me with Taxi Driver, and I don't mind 'cause who better to take your virginity than Robert De Niro? I'll never understand what possessed Jodie Foster to go lesbian after being in such close contact with the young Robert De Niro. He must be such a strong, masculine force field that he completely obliterated Jodie's thin veil of heterosexual lust. It was too much. Tornado De Niro obviously picked up her house and it just came crashing down into k.d. Lang Land.

Anyway, the film, as I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with (but just in case you aren't) is about a 26 year old lonely taxi driver in New York who is going crazy. He formerly served in the Marines, so he's a military man. He hates the lowlifes that are spread throughout the town. He spends his days trying to woo Cybill Shepherd, who is a campaign volunteer for Senator Charles Palantine, who's running for President. His idea of the perfect date is dinner and a porno movie. The last part gets him rejected by Cybill, who ridiculously flees from him at the porno theatre and stops speaking to him. Now... think about this. I would have studied the porno movie for tips on what to do with Robert afterwards. Wouldn't you do the same? At the same time I'd be spending quality bonding time with him, holding hands, ooooh, and looking away and kissing during those awful vaginal oral sex scenes. UGGGGGHHHHH! Cybill Shepherd's character should have been the whole focus of the movie, Taxi Driver. Anybody who dumps Robert De Niro over the littlest thing has GOT to already be FULLY INSANE.

Anyway, long story short, Robert De Niro gets nuttier and nuttier. He buys some guns, he freaks people out talking to them, he shaves most of his hair off, etc. He also befriends Jodie Foster, who plays a 12 year old prostitute. She shouldn't have been hanging around Robert De Niro at that age. As I already said, he was too much for her. Once she met him, she came to the conclusion that all other men weren't as good.

In all seriousness, Taxi Driver is a phenomenal, completely attention-getting, mystical, and better than ever on Blu-ray. I will watch it many more times -- now I have a clear picture on how it actually ends -- and I will enjoy it. It's definitely one of the best movies I have ever seen. There's a lot going on here in this little movie about a taxi cab driver and it deserves serious study and exploration.

Loved your review of this one too, and cannot argue with the fact that De Niro has NEVER been sexier.