The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Can the voting for that start on the same day the top two are revealed and have the due date for the votes be April-ish?
Something like that, yeah. I think we had four months to prepare for this one. So it'll probably be about May/June time that voting will close

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I think I need to rewatch Princess Mononoke. I didn't love it the first time round, but it seems like it might deserve a second chance.

Lord High Filmquisitor
So 7 of the top 10 are Pixar, eh?
I'm okay with those numbers.

WALL-E is Pixar's best. The rest of you are wrong, as usual.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Master of My Domain
Toy Story 3 was my Number 4.

A lot of people claim that the third one is the weakest. Really? By having an interesting setting, darker elements, and being action-packed I thought it packed a strong punch, but I can kind of get why this is also a reason for seemingly being the weakest. No matter what though, I'm still in the former.

About the controversial end of the film, I semi-cried, I would have burst into tears if the impact was a little stronger. Probably the only problem I have with the entire film.

Princess Mononoke was my Number 13.

A beautiful combination between traditional animation and computer animation, you don't say that very often, nor do you see it being executed well. Another animated action movie which is a genre I adore, never afraid of violence and gore (Princess Mononoke isn't even PG, and that makes it even more badass). Despite all the goodies I had it kind of low because of the bloated story and obvious message.

then someone else thinks it's their best
If you're implying that I think that it's my best then you're wrong. It is the best. I have a mathematical equation that can prove it but I really shouldn't have to at this point.

8. Ratatouille - Voting Stats

Total Points: 526
Part of a Numeric Tie? No.
38 Votes: 1st Place (25 pts.), Three 2nd Place (24 pts. each), Three 3rd Place (23 pts. each), 4th Place (22 pts.), Two 6th Place (20 pts. each), 7th Place (19 pts.), Two 8th Place (18 pts. each), Three 10th Place (16 pts. each), Two 11th Place (15 pts. each), Two 12th Place (14 pts. each), Two 13th Place (13 pts. each), 14th Place (12 pts.), 15th Place (11 pts.), 16th Place (10 pts.), Three 17th Place (9 pts. each), 18th Place (8 pts.), Two 19th Place (7 pts. each), 20th Place (6 pts.), Two 21st Place (5 pts. each), 22nd Place (4 pts.), Three 23rd Place (3 pts. each)

Ratatouille features some of the most breathtakingly beautiful animation I've ever seen. The vivid colors and incredible attention to detail make the images really pop off the screen. The food looks almost good enough to eat and I love that the rats move in a very rodent like way without losing the cartoon appeal of the character designs. (Also they are adorable!)

But more than that I adore the characters and the dialogue. Chef Skinner is among my favorite movie villains, not because I find him at all menacing but because that angry little man with the combover is quite cute in his own way. This movie also stands as the only film in which I enjoyed a performance from Peter O'Toole (as Anton Ego), probably owing a lot to the fact that I don't have to see his creepy mug.

I had Ratatouille at #2.

My List
2. Ratatouille (#8)
3. Mary and Max. (#23)
4. Wreck-It Ralph (#27)
6. Surf's Up (#99)
7. The Nightmare Before Christmas (#14)
8. Over the Hedge (Near Miss)
9. Chicken Run (#51)
10. Charlotte's Web (#57)
11. Despicable Me (#61)
12. Waltz With Bashir (#26)
16. The Emporer's New Groove (#80)
21. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (#42)
22. Lilo & Stitch (#83)
23. How to Train Your Dragon (#19)
24. Bambi (#50)

Ratatouille was my #1.

Princess Mononoke would be in my top 30.

My list-

1. Ratatouille*
3. Rango
4. How to Train Your Dragon
5. Persepolis
6. Grave of the Fireflies
7. Animal Farm
8. Wreck-It Ralph
9. Fantastic Mr. Fox
10. Waltz with Bashir
11. The Plague Dogs
12. The Incredibles
13. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
14. Mary and Max
16. The Wind Rises
17. Pinocchio
18. Charlotte's Web
19. Kung Fu Panda
20. A Town Called Panic
21. Fantastic Planet
24. The Adventures of Prince Achmed (Near miss)
25. How the Grinch Stole Christmas

A system of cells interlinked
I really tried to get through Ratatouille...I really did. It was just too damned twee for my taste, just like Finding Nemo et. al. Clearly, these films are put together with love and a tremendous amount of skill, but they are just too cutsie for me. That said, I can totally see why people would be over-the-moon for these films if their tastes trend towards character and stories such as these.

I will rarely turn a film off, but when I do, it is usually due to too-cute overload. An example I always use, and will probably get me clobbered in this thread, is when the lion cub jumps out of a bush and starts bobbing back and forth and singing in The Lion King. I just could not stand it. BAM, off goes the DVD player. When The Lion King first came out, I was well into adulthood, so I don't have any nostalgic ties to this stuff, which I know plays a big part for a lot of people.

Anyway - The rat did not make my list...

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I had Ratatouille at #6. The most thorough discussion I had about it was in response to a rewatch and post that Yoda wrote. If anyone wants to read my post in context, you can click the arrow immediately after my name at the beginning of the quote.
This is in response to Chris's re-review just a post above. I'm not sure if I'm actually responding to Chris's concerns because many of them do not concern me at all. For example, the floating TV is a classic movie motif, so I won't try to address that, but if I felt the need, I'd say something along the lines that it's Remy's mind remembering what he's already seen. True, Brad Bird used the TV more effectively in The Incredibles and The Iron Giant, but it goes without saying that Bird likes to communicate info through TVs, especially primitive ones.

Now, when I read your original review, Yoda, you seemed to consider that Remy was the main character, and he certainly is, but this last post implies that Linguini is the main character and unless I'm mistaken, you never once mention Remy. To me, the movie is about how the most ridiculous-seeming characters can do what they do and do it well. Maybe I'm misremembering this, but I thought that Holden had some major problems with this flick because Remy was a rat and involved with food, and then when he calls on all his friends and family to help out, they were ALL RATS TOO! Now, I know for a fact that if Remy and all his friends were gay humans that Holds wouldn't care one bit, so I find this negative criticism to be irrelevant, and I bet I've had more rats in my houses eating away at things which I care about than he has.

So basically, I think the film's message is more along the lines that you may find your better half (Remy is obviously Linguini's better half) in the strangest places. I love and laugh out loud, repeatedly, at the way that Remy controls Linguini by pulling his hair. It's physical slapstick as good as it gets and just about as good as anything the great silent clowns ever did. Another message is that humans and non-humans can relate equally as long as they respect each other, although I'm not sure how much Remy actually respects Linguini up front, after all there's not much there.

In general, I just love the storytelling ability of Brad Bird. That, and the fact that he can write hilarious dialogue. The thing which appeals to me about Ratatouille is that there is so much going on that I cannot complain about most of it because I'm too busy enjoying it. Yes, Act III is the best. Does everyone notice that Ego looks like a character out of a Tim Burton flick, that his typewriter has a skull on it and that his "gothic room" is in the shape of a coffin? You can see that all in the scene where Ego learns that Gusteau's is now popular again.

As far as the "artificial" romance is concerned, maybe it is underdeveloped, but it's certainly believeable. Linguini seems to have almost no social skills, but you don't need social skills to be attracted to women in the workplace. It's just normal. Linguini has very little past and very little depth (except for what Remy gives him), so it's not surprising that he doesn't especially grow after he learns he's the offspring of Gusteau. However, he does use what he can do quite well in Act III. Linguini uses his skating prowess to serve everyone quite handsomely when Ego shows up. He also seems less-tongue-tied than normal. I still give Ratatouille
, but I'll admit that the last 25 minutes are the best. However, among my earlier, fave lines are "Let's toast to your non-idiocy!" and " I don't LIKE food. I LOVE it. If I don't love it, I don't SWALLOW". Maybe I'll add some more later.

I like Ratatouille and Princess Mononoke, but I would personally have them come up the other way around haha.