The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

It's after midnight where I am, so here are your Monday pair.

Straw Dogs is exactly the kind of movie that I seek out. I had it at #23, and it's the 2nd movie from my list to show up. It's been a favorite of mine for over 30 years and features 1 of 8 great 70's performances that I've seen from Dustin Hoffman. I fear that only 1 or 2 more of his movies will show up; it really should be 4 more.
Dusty is up to four films in our countdown, already: Straw Dogs (#83), All the President's Men (#75), Marathon Man (#73), and Little Big Man (#61).

My success continues. Little Big Man was #15 on my list.

What the hell is Spirit of the Beehive?

I watched Little Big Man a couple of years ago and it just didn't click with me. I didn't really dislike it but I didn't like it either and it did not make my list.

I haven't seen Spirit of the Beehive and it doesn't really look like something I'd enjoy.

My List
1. Didn't Make The Cut
6. Paper Moon (#74)
12. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#68)
22. Hausu (#76)
23. Mad Max (#70)
25. Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (1 point, not on the countdown)

This pair were both on my list. Little Big Man was my number eight pick, and The Spirit of the Beehive my number twenty-four. That makes seven for me, total.

8. Little Big Man (#61)
10. The Man Who Would Be King (#81)
13. Breaking Away (#95)
17. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (#94)
19. MASH (#78)
20. Don’t Look Now (#72)
24. The Spirit of the Beehive (#62)

Spirit of the Beehive was on eleven ballots, with two top tens: a second and a fourth place vote. Little Big Man was on thirteen ballots, and in addition to my eighth place eighteen points going toward its 128 total, it also had a third and a ninth place vote.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	lbm.jpg
Views:	1302
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	16561  

What the hell is Spirit of the Beehive?
Not the droids you're looking for.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Happy that Spirit of the Beehive made it onto so so many peoples lists, it was 15th on my top 25 . It's a beautiful contemplative film with a stunning performance by the seven year old Ana Torrent . I liked Little Big Man too, I saw it on a double bill with another film back then, can't remember what it was now - that's going to annoy me all day!

Three from my list now:

2. Don't Look Now (no 72)
14. The Wicker Man (79)
15. Spirit of the Beehive (62)

I'm looking forward not only to the rest of the list of course, but to see what was on people's lists that didn't make the top 100.

Little Big Man is the sixth movie from my list; I had it at #12. I first watched it a couple months before the talk of this list when I was cherry picking of Mark's top 10, and it was a nice surprise. I think this movie is the whole package with a lot going for it. It's got love, humor, emotion, thrills, history, great acting, a fascinating main character and story, and it's beautiful to watch.

I was looking forward to Spirit of the Beehive, but I couldn't really get into it. It's probably due to a combination of it not being my type of movie, and also my frame of mind at the time. I hear nothing but great things about this movie from others, so I'm pretty interested in trying it again.

My list-
#3 Saturday Night Fever (87)
#4 Animal House (66)
#12 Little Big Man (61)
#14 Mean Streets (77)
#19 Marathon Man (73)
#23 Straw Dogs (83)

I now believe that out of my top 15, only my #8 will fail to show up, and out of the rest, I think probably only my #25 will show.

I think Little Big Man was at the bottom of my lis number 23 or 24 something like that I love that film.

I only watched half of the spirit of the beehives because the ****** dvd stopped working.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Christine, was it Soldier Blue? Most of this is taken from elsewhere at the site. Sorry, I'm tired.

I first saw The Spirit of the Beehive when it played in Hollywood in 1977, but I've watched it a few times since. It's filmed in a poetic form of neorealism, anchored by Ana Torrent's big eyes, but except for an occasional image here and there (such as the image I posted), it didn't really engage me until the scene with the Monster. It just seemed like all buildup to a three minute scene and then The End. I can understand its appeal to others just as I can relate to why it would be a snoozefest to a different type of film watcher. I certainly expected it to make this list so I applaud its inclusion.

I was the one who had Little Big Man at third. It marks the second from my list after Hoffman's Straw Dogs. It's my favorite western involving 121-year-old Jack Crabb (Dustin Hoffman) who relates his adventures, beginning 111 years earlier, to a historian (William Hickey) who hears things which border on the unbelievable. Jack Crabb was adopted by the "Human Beings" (in this case, the Cheyenne) and raised in their culture by Old Lodge Skins (the wonderful Chief Dan George). Eventually, he ends up back in white society where he learns about sex and sin but is comforted by his newly adoptive "mother" (Faye Dunaway). The film covers lots of ground as things eventually lead up to the Battle of Little Big Horn.

Some people might call this an anti-western because it makes the Indians the heroes and the whites the Bad Guys. It basically rewrites some of the history that was taught (or deleted) when I was in school and turns it into what is mostly taught now to my daughter. But at the time, it had some heads shaking. Some people think that it's not really a western at all, but an allegory about the Viet Nam War and genocide. Whatever way you take the film, I generally take it as a highly-stylized, hilarious, heartbreaking journey through the history of our nation at a time when the culture clash of the West in the 1870s was coming to a head. I find all the parallels to American life in the late 1960s to be just frosting on the cake, yet it's true that this film probably only would have been made during a relatively small window of time, and thank God it was.

It's also a very episodic film because Jack Crabb went through several "phases"; among those are his religion phase, his gunslinger phase, his Indian fighter phase, his adventures as a snake oil salesman, his attempt to become a legitimate businessman and a married man, his long search for his white wife after she's been kidnapped by the Indians, and his many confrontations with the dangerously psychotic Custer (Richard Mulligan). Sometimes I see Forrest Gump as a film which took its storytelling style from Little Big Man. However, I find this film to have more genuine humor and tragedy to it. For being as fantastically entertaining as it is, it seems almost unreal that it's such a wonderful history lesson too. Whether you think it's real history, movie history, or just a series of tall tales told by that self-proclaimed liar Jack Crabb is up to you.

Yes, it is because of Mark F that I watched Little Big Man for the first time back in 2011. I still have the DVD.

This is my review for the movie.

Great Spirit told me to post this.

hey, i've seen these two. i really liked The Spirit of the Beehive, but not as much as i feel i should have. it's really beautiful in so many ways, yet i didn't love it like i love other films that are like it. i think i was tired when i watched it though, so maybe a rewatch would be good. i like Little Big Man too, although i don't quite get all the love for it. still a good movie.

My mind's blown that you got rid of that Marcia Wallace wearing a Santa Claus hat avatar, #2.