Cobpyth's Top 101 Favorite Feature Films

→ in
Tools    

Notorious is a masterpiece, but it's not better than Psycho imo.

Shadow of A Doubt, Rope, Frenzy, Lifeboat, The Trouble With Harry, Rear Window, Dial M For Murder, Rebecca and Stage Fright are all worth you time, at the very least. I thought The Birds was OK when I was younger.

Meh. I wouldn't rush it, MV.
I've enjoyed 5 out of 6 of the Hitchcock movies I've seen, so the odds are in its favor.

As long as it's better than The Birds, that is. Not that it takes much to be better than The Birds. That was the first Hitchcock movie I ever watched and it nearly became the last.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Psycho is an incredible film, but there's always one scene that really bugged me. That scene of exposition towards the end where the psychiatrist spoonfeeds the audience whats wrong with Norman.

77. The Maltese Falcon (1941)

This film is often credited with the fact that it officially started the noir genre. Coincidentally, it was also the first film noir I ever saw. I immediately knew that I HAD to watch more films of its kind. I fell in love with the genre and its typical characteristics. The lonesome, but very cool detective, the femme fatale, the cunning villain, the tragic elements to the plot, the stylish but dark atmosphere, ... It worked perfectly!
All those elements shaped many effective and satisfying film stories during the '40s and '50s and it's a shame that, besides the few neo-noir films that come out these days, the genre is not part of the mainstream packet anymore and has now been substituted by brainless and often styleless action movies.

The Maltese Falcon is the epitome of the noir genre. It's one of the first films that ever brought the typical elements of film noir to the screen and it did it so remarkably well that it is still considered as one of the very best of all time.
The reason it works so well is partly because of the awesome performances in this film. First of all there is of course Humphrey Bogart, who is probably the most suitable noir actor that ever existed. He looks like a man who knows about life and its darker corners, while automatically winning the audience's respect with his unparalleled charisma. With Sam Spade, he created one of the most famous film noir leading characters of all time. The supporting cast is great too. Peter Lorre and Sydney Greenstreet are perfect for their particular roles and deliver two very good performances and Mary Astor is also great in the role of the femme fatale.

The Maltese Falcon is an immortal film that set the tone for all the noir films that would follow over the next 20 years and it is also one of the best director debuts of all time, as it was the legendary John Huston's first film. Its themes are still relevant today and it should be seen by every soul that has the least bit of interest in classic cinema. One of the true gems of Hollywood's golden age.

-------------------------------

Psycho is an incredible film, but there's always one scene that really bugged me. That scene of exposition towards the end where the psychiatrist spoonfeeds the audience whats wrong with Norman.
I'd say that was a product of its time, but it's just as likely they'd do the same today. However, I think that might say more about how Hollywood views its audience now, as to how it did then.

The Maltese Falcon's OK, but, like Casablanca, I've never felt as if I've really got it the way so many do. Like Casablanca it's a classic, but it's never struck me as special.

Meh. I wouldn't rush it, MV.
I personally found Notorious to be Hitckcock's most boring film among those of him I have watched. The most fun was Vertigo (it kept me on the edge of my sofa all the time).

The Birds is also a good Hithcock film, very entertaining as well. It was Kurosawa's favorite Hitchcock film, if that means anything.

It's good to keep things crystal clear sometimes. I found that explicitly stating everything made it a more powerful film.

I personally found Notorious to be Hitckcock's most boring film among those of him I have watched.
It's sometimes hallucinating to see what some people consider to be boring.

I'm not the biggest fan of The Birds, personally. I don't dislike it, but it's definitely not amongst Hitchcock's best work for me. It is a very memorable film, though.

Different people have different tastes.

I'm not the biggest fan of The Birds, personally. I don't dislike it, but it's definitely not amongst Hitchcock's best work for me. It is a very memorable film, though.
Indeed. I think that The Birds is much weaker than Rear Window, Psycho and Vertigo. It's about as good as the others I have watched from the director.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

Hitchcock most boring film for me is either The 39 Steps or The Man Who Knew Too Much.

Hitchcock most boring film for me is either The 39 Steps or The Man Who Knew Too Much.
You probably mean the '50s version of The Man Who Knew Too Much? Yeah I can see that, although I personally quite enjoyed it. It's nowhere near Hitch's best work, though.

I really like The 39 Steps and I think it has a very good pace, so I can't really see how that one is boring.

I thought I Confess was the most boring Hitchcock film, from what I've seen so far.