The Dark Knight Rises

Tools    

For the last time the top, THE TOP, that **** wobbled, end of discussion
Not to mention the whole wedding ring thing and the fact that Michael Caine went on record saying that he never appeared in any of the dream sequences in the film.

But, you know, some people...

Thought this might be of interest to some of you.

The Dark Knight Rises stars talk Oscar chances
http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/blogs/mov...160441554.html

If you click the link you can hear the cast have their say... Apparently. I've not watched it myself
I read the following news on a comicbook website & it showed statements of academy members in favor of Dark Knight Rises having a chance to win at the Oscars.

Below is a small excerpt from the link below.

'Dark Knight Rises' Prompts Mixed Reaction From Academy Members

However, another longtime Academy member, who regularly attends the Saturday night screenings, said there was only sporadic applause, that Academy members are very vocal when they like a movie and that they tend to give pictures that are going to get a lot of Oscar love a big ovation.
The Academy member said what he heard in the halls and elevator was that “people were kind of disappointed. It wasn’t because of (Colorado). I just don’t think that this picture will get any nominations (beyond technical nods)."

"There was nothing remarkable about the acting," said a female Academy member who regularly attends the Academy screenings. "I don’t think it can be nominated as best picture.”

One high-profile Academy member who went on record via Twitter was Bret Easton Ellis, who wrote: "Not that it really matters, but there was zero love for 'The Dark Knight Rises' at the packed Academy screening in Los Angeles tonight." In later tweets, he said he was "with" the film and admired Christian Bale's performance in particular.

I saw "Dark Knight Rises" over the weekend. I was not one who felt that the prior two films were any kind of masterpiece. As a result, I didn't suffer from sky high expectations for this new entry, so I think I can speak more objectively and less emotionally about this new film. Contrary to many, I actually thought "Batman Begins" was the strongest film of the trilogy, though "The Dark Knight" was also strong. Overall, I'd say that "The Dark Knight Rises" was a fairly entertaining film, but was most certainly the weakest film of the trilogy. Ultimately, I found the whole film to be very pedestrian. It tried to do too much. It felt very epic, but it tried far too hard to be epic, and in so doing lost much of the smaller more character driven elements that made the first two pictures unique. Bane was a relatively weak villain, and because he was mostly a physical villain, much of the psychological interplay that made the first two films interesting was largely absent from this one. Thematically, I thought the exploration of the themes that were so prominent in the first two films, especially "The Dark Knight," were present, but were superficially presented.

One of the main themes of "The Dark Knight" was that the Joker gave the citizens a choice of what kind of society they wanted to be. Most prominently in the scene on the boat, the Joker gave Gotham city the choice to rise above self-interest or save themselves by destroying the other. One choice would allow them to reform their city, and focus on the values that could make it great and allow it to endure, the other would cause them to go further into decline. In this one, Nolan represented Bane as offering this "choice" to Gotham's citizens, but in the end, it was all a rouse. Nolan chose to do something else entirely, which I won't reveal because it would be a major spoiler.

Much of the psychological torture, the interplay that made the villains of the first two intelligent and terrifying, was largely absent from this one. Realism was sacrificed in this picture as well. The idea of having the Batpod instead of the Batmobile again highlighted this. Much of what made the first two films interesting was that even though these were comic book movies, they retained an element of humanity and realism. Having a flying car undermined this sense of realism. The journey that felt so real and human in the first two films felt very conventional in this one.

Everything about this was much weaker than the other two, and every theme was significantly muted. All the supporting characters, which had such interesting roles in the first two films, were mostly sidelined here in favor of Bane, and Batman himself was sidelined for much of the film. Michael Caine had the best role, but even his role was significantly reduced, and Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman had little to do.

Lastly, Nolan chose to end the film on a cliched note. For much of the film, it appeared that he wanted to do something big, bold, and emotionally resonant, but what he settled for was a cop out. It was conventional, it was gimmicky, and it betrayed the very themes he spent most of the film trying to develop.

On the positive side, I felt like Anne Hathaway's portrayal of Selina Kyle was one of the best aspects of the film. Nolan casted that part quite well. He took a risk, which many thought wouldn't pay off, and it did. I wished she would have been the main villain rather than Bane. That would have been very interesting. Instead, she was left with precious little to do. Overall, I do think it was a fairly entertaining film, but unlike the first two films, it offered little more than that.

The Dark Knight Rises
(directed by Christopher Nolan, 2012)

Emotional, compact, entertaining, lustrous, bold and glorious. These are just some of the words I feel sums up The Dark Knight Rises after watching it. I am not disappointed. It could have been better, it could have been warmer, it could have been more exciting, but, overall, The Dark Knight Rises is a fitting companion piece to The Dark Knight.

It's a small movie, I think -- a bookend -- but it feels right. It's calmer and not as riotous as The Dark Knight. It feels like an afterthought, but a good afterthought. The world in which these characters exist doesn't crumble and fall apart just because Heath Ledger has died and there's no more Joker to be had. I think this movie probably would have been a lot more entertaining, though, if Heath had lived and The Joker was very much a part of this film, but nothing can be done about that. At least they didn't go completely insane and replace Heath, like some other lesser film might do.

I don't really want to go into explaining the plot and what happens. I would rather talk about what I thought worked. Although, I will say that I liked the whole story about Batman being out of commission for many years -- however, I think eight years is an extremely long time. Why not make it four since it's been four years since The Dark Knight? This is kind of ridiculous. But I liked the whole story about people rising out from something that's disabled them.

I loved Bane. I loved Selina Kyle, AKA Catwoman. Bane was much better than I thought he was going to be. He seems like a cross between Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now and Count Dracula. He is one of the best villains I have seen in a Batman movie, yet. Heath Ledger's performance as The Joker cannot be forgotten, and Bane's use in The Dark Knight Rises doesn't "rise" up to the level of The Joker, but, for a more subdued, tough, muscular performance, Bane is almost an equal. He exudes primal, masculine sexuality, and that is something the giddier and flakier Joker was lacking. This is also not the cartoonish Bane from Batman and Robin, nor is it a dumb hoodlum, as I originally felt this Bane was going to be. The only problem he's got going for him, though, involves the script and the story direction -- my complaint is that Bane wasn't given enough power and showtime. But, perhaps this saved him from being something worse.

I really do not like Gary Oldman's Commissioner Gordon. I am irritated by him and his glasses, hairstyle and mustache. Everytime I saw him on the screen, I wanted him off immediately! He strikes me as the most wrong, most ill cast of these movies. He's like some big, goofy nerd. In this movie, he spends too much time appearing as a nuisance, at least to me. I would like him to die, please.

The film ends on a good note. I have some other irritation regarding this movie, due to the way it plays out, but I mean, that cannot be fixed now and the way it all plays out is typical for the kind of movie it is. I am just happy to report that the basic things you should be coming for in regards to The Dark Knight Rises are good. It's definitely not the movie to end all movies, but it's something to be taken seriously. It's more than just a summer blockbuster. Hell, in some ways, I think it might even be the best film in the Nolan trilogy because, seriously, The Dark Knight is only really, really good because of The Joker and all of his insane chaos. This one at least has the balls to forget all about that and close up the whole story while being smart and beautiful. Batman Begins is a movie I've only seen twice and that was years ago. It doesn't live strongly in my memory. So, this one, The Dark Knight Rises, is really a very good film.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Dark Knight Rises

The Legend Ends...On Nolan's Terms.

This is a film that, no matter how good it was, would never live up to the hype surrounding it. It's been 8 years since The Batman has been seen, crime is at an all-time low and the Dent Act is keeping the bad guys behind bars. So what brings The Dark Knight out of retirement? Bane. A physically menacing villain who has plans to destroy Gotham, don't all villains?

First of all, seeing this in IMAX was a marvellous decision and I hope others decide to go this route. The skyline shots are sweeping, the action sequences are mesmerizing and the film is a technical marvel. Next to Inception, this film is Nolan's most ambitious project. It's massive in scope, epic in its delivery. I was in awe of everything that was unravelling before me, but at the same time found myself frustrated with a lot of the elements brought forth in this film.

The story simply isn't as engaging this time around. I really like how they tie it to the first film, but I couldn't help but feel the story took second fiddle to all the action on the screen. This might be due to the larger than life plot here. Batman is dealing with nuclear devices now? The entire bomb inclusion felt like something that belonged in The Avengers. Which oddly enough, is what I felt like I was watching at times. Specifically with The Bat sequences and the way they deal with the bomb. I think I found the movie to be too big for it's own good. I would have preferred a more internal struggle than a physical one.

Really small things annoyed me that could have easily been eliminated. Wayne's limp was a distraction for when he returns as Batman. Selena Kyle's relationship with the blonde girl (Juno Temple), Alfred leaving early in the film seemed like a way for Nolan to do away with one too many characters. But I think that mostly, this didn't really feel like a Batman film to me. Batman himself has very little screen time. We almost see more of Wayne than we do Batman. Finally Bane, I think was actually underused. I loved his introduction, a great scene and his first fight with Batman. Then after that he simply fades away and ultimately feels unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

This is the first Batman film that actually was predictable and a bit cliched. Those of us familiar with the Batman universe know who certain characters are in relation to others, so when the twist comes near the end, it doesn't come as any surprise. Even if one doesn't know the history of the characters, it's pretty obvious when a character we just meet is given so much 'power' from the good guys. Second, and this happens all the time in movies, a character is about to leave or does leave and the hero near the end finds himself in a sticky situation, only to be rescued by the character everyone thought had left. This is really overused in movies and I had hoped Nolan would not do this even though all signs were pointing to yes, well, he got a tad lazy.

Some other people have said this and I think I agree, this is a well made film, but lacks the heart of the director that he poured into the first two. Especially since this is the epic conclusion, one would hope Nolan saved all his best tricks for last, but this is not the case. All that aside, I did have a great time with the film. The performances are great, as expected. The action delivers, as expected. The legend ends, and that tagline delivers. Which is a bit disappointing for me. The Joker stated in The Dark Knight, that he and the Batman are destined to do this forever and that is what their relationship has always been, but with the ending to this film, that's not the case.

The last few minutes of the film wrap a lot up in a little bit of time, so it does feel a bit rushed, but at the same time I didn't want it to lag around. Nolan created his Batman universe and ended it on his terms. I respect him for that. That film is great, just not the kind of great I wanted.

Suspect's Reviews

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
On a side note:

Was anyone else counting all the tv show actors in the film? I mean, recognizable actors in cameo sized roles.

Aiden Gillen (The Wire/Game of Thrones)
Robert Wisdom (The Wire)
Wade Williams (Prison Break)
Desmond Harrington (Dexter)
William Devane (24) - PLayed the President in both!!!
Thomas Lennon (Reno 911)
Brett Cullen (Lost)
Nestor Carbonell (Lost)
Fredric Lehne (Lost)

Purveyor of Incredibility
★★★★ 1/2 (out of 5)

The Dark Knight Rises is a monumental film capping off the best film trilogy ever made. More Batman Begins than The Dark Knight, the film isn’t at a constant climax. Nolan invokes some short flashbacks from the first film, but aside from mentions of Harvey Dent there’s very little from TDK. There is a deliberate pacing that takes us from a peaceful, boring Gotham with a retired Batman to the greatest city in the world on the brink of annihilation.

Unlike the first film in the trilogy, TDKR isn’t quite as centered around Bruce Wayne or Batman. The screen is shared by a flurry of characters. Bane, Catwoman, Miranda Tate, Lucious Fox, Detective Blake, and the always welcome Alfred all get a considerable portion of screen time. Lesser important characters who should have been scrapped also push the running length to 164 minutes, though it never feels like it. The film centers around the masked terrorist Bane’s plans to bring Gotham to its knees much like Ra’s Al Ghul’s plans in the first film. Bane’s antics force both Bruce Wayne and Batman out of retirement to try to save his beloved city.

Let’s just get this out of the way: there’s no Joker or equivalent thereof here. There’s no performance like Heath Ledger’s, but TDKR is a much better film than TDK. It doesn’t connect the complex plot points as masterfully as its predecessor. What it does masterfully is inject some much needed emotion into the fight for Gotham. We gladly trade our jaws dropping in a “cool! how’d they do that?” moment for our eyes watering wondering “does Batman love his city so much he’ll actually die for it?”.

Don’t get me wrong. The action scenes are phenomenal. Between the Bat, essentially the new flying Batmobile, and a Bat Pod that shows off even more features, there’s no shortage of cool technology. Bruce Wayne even has a little remote to make sure the paparazzi don’t get in his way.

Even with the new gadgets, the fist fights are greatly improved from the first two films. Bane is physically superior to Batman and on par mentally. Tom Hardy has bulked up for this role. There’s no six pack on Bane, he’s got some flab, but it just adds to his mass. This guy is huge and terrifying. Throw in Hardy’s incredibly expressive eyes and you’ve got a true force of evil. Hardy also seems to have a unique ability to act during his fight sequences. We can see the speed of his punches and feel his punches when he pummels Batman.

While he’s the least interesting of the three major villains, TDKR spices things up with some much needed estrogen with Catwoman and Miranda Tate. Anne Hathaway is exceptional, gracefully pouncing around Gotham and dealing some punishment in some very tall heels. Catwoman has always been a good guy/bad guy who lives by her own moral code, and Nolan’s version stays true to the heart of the character in the comics. Miranda is a beautiful, strong millionaire who is drawn to Bruce through his philanthropy. She comes to his aid and rescues Wayne Enterprises after one of Bane’s terrorist acts at the stock exchange.

I’ve heard some complaints about how Bane’s antics are too reminiscent of the times, playing much to the Occupy crowd. I think that’s ludicrous and anyone that has seen the other two films will certainly agree. Bane’s antics at the stock exchange hearken back to Batman Begins where The League of Shadows admitted to using economics to send Gotham spiraling out of control. Beyond that event the death toll in Gotham is catastrophic. Bane blows the city half to hell and releases prison inmates immediately after breaking the morale of Harvey Dent’s supporters. It’s anarchy as the rich are ripped from their homes, the police are trapped, and no one is safe anywhere.

The second half of the film comes to an unforgettable climax that is the most enthralling cinema in a long time. The significant amount of IMAX footage makes the action scenes as epic as can be and Nolan’s refusal to use 3D means we get to see it in a proper high resolution format whether you’re in an IMAX setting or not. TDKR isn’t without it’s faults. The music blares inappropriately quite often. There’s some pretty poor exposition in the script at times (a little puzzling why the backstory wasn’t worked in better in this long a movie with such exceptional writers). And, the plot twists are quite predictable for those loyal to the comics. Even despite all that, TDKR is the movie everyone wanted and then some. It doesn’t have the innocence and humor that made Batman Begins the best of the trilogy, but it does up the ante in terms of scale and emotion. It is easily the best movie this year so far and perhaps the best conclusion a trilogy has ever had.

Unfortunately, I don't think he nailed it at all.

AKA23, you spent an awful lot of time talking about Bane and how he's just not as interesting or psychologically menacing as the Joker, but this is not a film about Batman vs. Bane, and I fear a lot of people are failing to realize that.

The Dark Knight Rises, when viewed through the conflict narrative, is a film about man vs. himself. Period. Bane, Catwoman, Miranda Tate, even allies John Blake, Alfred, and Fox are all in the film as catalysts for Bruce Wayne's true transformation. This film is about Wayne moving on from his childhood trauma. Bane is treated with very little characterization on purpose. The antagonists in this film are little more than 1-dimensional by design. The true journey is that of Wayne struggling through the darkness of his own self-destruction and self-pity and climbing out of the pit of despair to be reborn into the sun (yes, this is seen literally on the screen). There is a reason the first time Bruce shows up on screen he is shown in the shadows and distorted in the reflection of his meal's plate cover; because Bruce has allowed the darkness in his spirit to envelope him.

TDKR is the story of Bruce breaking free of the prison of his own demons; literally and figuratively.

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
Unfortunately, I don't think he nailed it at all.

AKA23, you spent an awful lot of time talking about Bane and how he's just not as interesting or psychologically menacing as the Joker, but this is not a film about Batman vs. Bane, and I fear a lot of people are failing to realize that.

The Dark Knight Rises, when viewed through the conflict narrative, is a film about man vs. himself. Period. Bane, Catwoman, Miranda Tate, even allies John Blake, Alfred, and Fox are all in the film as catalysts for Bruce Wayne's true transformation. This film is about Wayne moving on from his childhood trauma. Bane is treated with very little characterization on purpose. The antagonists in this film are little more than 1-dimensional by design. The true journey is that of Wayne struggling through the darkness of his own self-destruction and self-pity and climbing out of the pit of despair to be reborn into the sun (yes, this is seen literally on the screen). There is a reason the first time Bruce shows up on screen he is shown in the shadows and distorted in the reflection of his meal's plate cover; because Bruce has allowed the darkness in his spirit to envelope him.

TDKR is the story of Bruce breaking free of the prison of his own demons; literally and figuratively.
That's funny I thort it was about a ticking time bomb and a terrorist called Bane, which it is.

That's funny I thort it was about a ticking time bomb and a terrorist called Bane, which it is.
You watch your stupid, boring sounding version, I'll watch the one that Nolan made.

Can we at least agree that the "ticking time bomb" thing is a little trite, and not nearly as inventive as the kinds of things Nolan usually comes up with? It's okay, you can admit this and still love the movie.

I've never been a massive batman fan but the last 2 films have been great. It was a lot better than I expected it to be. I found it hard to follow at the beginning but it all got explained as the film progressed. A really good film and a good twist at the end.

Can we at least agree that the "ticking time bomb" thing is a little trite, and not nearly as inventive as the kinds of things Nolan usually comes up with? It's okay, you can admit this and still love the movie.
The real question is; can one see beyond that to enjoy the film? It seems some people cannot.

I wonder though, does anyone think my view on the story that Nolan was trying to tell is way off? He may not have done it perfectly, or with much subtlety, but I feel that was the story he was trying to tell. I was able to enjoy despite the "plot holes" and I know a lot of others did as well. I just wonder how well that core story was received, perceived, or even cared about.

I wonder though, does anyone think my view on the story that Nolan was trying to tell is way off? He may not have done it perfectly, or with much subtlety, but I feel that was the story he was trying to tell. I was able to enjoy despite the "plot holes" and I know a lot of others did as well. I just wonder how well that core story was received, perceived, or even cared about.
I think the way you put it is pretty clear for most people. I understood the film as such but my only concern lied in the class disparity's...disparity; even if Nolan wasn't trying to have social commentary, how do you miss that? Thus it made the end a lot less fulfilling. The rest was fine, more or less. Obviously the bomb is cliché but surprisingly didn't detract too much. Probably because Bane's british accent added touches of droll (in a good way).

Also I wish they didn't cut from Alfred to those two at the end, just show him smile and walk away. Why does Nolan feel like he has to hold the audience's hand all the time?

I think the way you put it is pretty clear for most people. I understood the film as such but my only concern lied in the class disparity's...disparity; even if Nolan wasn't trying to have social commentary, how do you miss that?
I wonder that as well. It's like he wanted to make the film feel relevant to the Occupy Wall Street attitude (that, ironically has fizzled the way his theme did), but couldn't quite find the way to follow through on it. Though, there are also some things mixed in there that make me smile, ponder, and scratch my head all at once. For example, what does it say that the Scarecrow was a judge? Is there some snide remark on display there implying that the criminals are the ones judging the rich? Also, what does it say that Bruce ended the film without having regained his riches but found happiness anyway? Was he even trying to say something with that? If so, could he throw some of his wealth my way since that's not where true happiness lies? I could use some of that Dark Knight trilogy, dough, man!

Thus it made the end a lot less fulfilling. The rest was fine, more or less. Obviously the bomb is cliché but surprisingly didn't detract too much. Probably because Bane's british accent added touches of droll (in a good way).

Also I wish they didn't cut from Alfred to those two at the end, just show him smile and walk away. Why does Nolan feel like he has to hold the audience's hand all the time?
I agree with this one, too. I'm not quite stupid enough to need that shot (close, though), but I did like that Selina was sitting with him.

Just got back from rewatch, to clear up the crime being gone argument- it's quite specifically stated 'organised crime' is gone, not crime. Therefore Bruce's exile is nothing to do with lack of crime but taking the fall for Dent. Yet, there's no resentment by the public to him which makes that moot and focuses more on the loss of Rachel yet this is reconciled by sleeping with Miranda then having Catwoman to leave Gotham with. That I don't like.

If there's any of arching narrative of the trilogy, it's in making Batman truly become a symbol, separated from Bruce Wayne's journey. It's encapsulated by the final scenes. Bruce's journey is implied to be saving Gotham, which of course he already did and didn't find closure due to the aforementioned lack of love in his life. Then at the end of this one, the city's in chaos with Blackgate opened yet he scoots off at the end. His journey seems to be sidelined in the sequels, which wasn't an issue in TDK due to focus on Joker and interim stage of trilogy, yet I don't feel was focussed on with TDKR to be satisfied. The film's spread too thin. The morality issues, such as killing are undermined when two of the moral centres- Catwoman and Robin- kill people. Bane's moral attack seems to be let the poor overthrow the rich, yet TDK already questioned the populace's morality and will when shown against bad odds yet this time, they're painted in broad strokes as instantly revolting- right before the narrative forgets them. I'm learning to forgive that films want to show Gotham being saved, rather than the issues raised at the end of BB and accept for what they are, crime capers.

I think Bouncing Brick's on crack, though. That sounds more like what you wanted to happen, not what actually did.

On an aside though, after watching Batman Starts, is anyone disappointed that the city of Gotham was so brilliantly captured and oozing atmosphere there but then changed to a generic city? In a away, TDKR Batman could have been interchanged with James Bond.

A question that's been bugging me:

How did Batman get from the desert to Gotham so fast!?

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Tom Hardy is a great actor. It's a shame that he couldn't have been better used in the film from what it sounds like. I haven't seen it, and will likely wait until it comes out on DVD/blu-ray.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201