The Mofo Top 100 Television Shows

Tools    

I'm a big fan of Buffy but have never tried Angel, mostly because i never really liked Angels character; i always preffered Xander, Spike and even Giles to him.

Never watched House but i'm a big fan of Laurie, mainly due to his work with Stephen Fry.

Has anyone invented a day stretcher yet?
Yes, it's called retirement. Or unemployment. Or being really rich.
I'm a big fan of Buffy but have never tried Angel, mostly because i never really liked Angels character; i always preffered Xander, Spike and even Giles to him.
I liked Angel, but always preferred the other characters you mentioned to him. However, I really would recommend you try Angel. Think of it as a darker, more grown up Buffy. That's probably not a particularly accurate description for the series overall, it is its own animal, but as a tagline/summing up, it works quite well.

Yes, it's called retirement. Or unemployment. Or being really rich.

I liked Angel, but always preferred the other characters you mentioned to him. However, I really would recommend you try Angel. Think of it as a darker, more grown up Buffy. That's probably not a particularly accurate description for the series overall, it is its own animal, but as a tagline/summing up, it works quite well.
It's a show that i've been meaning to try for quite a while but haven't found the time. When i was initially very excited about the Buffy Rewatch club i was hoping for an Angel one, then i barely made it through a season without finding myself way behind .

Yeah, we need to get back onto that. I've been thinkng about it for the last couple of weeks, actually. Sadly, I just usually have too much to watch.

Young Skywalker. Missed you, I have...
I think it was great in its last season and I so wanted it to continue.

The season with Jasmine was the weakest but it still was great despite a pretty weak storyline for that season.

I completely agree. The season with Jasmine, I think it was season 4, was by far the weakest. I didn't like the direction that season took at all. I have all 5 seasons on DVD. The only show I own all of. Good stuff!

It's a show that i've been meaning to try for quite a while but haven't found the time. When i was initially very excited about the Buffy Rewatch club i was hoping for an Angel one, then i barely made it through a season without finding myself way behind .

If the Angel one starts up, someone let me know!!!

4. Supernatural
5. NFL Monday Night Football
12. Archer
22. Sons of Anarchy
24. Angel
25. Eric and Jessie: Game On

(Completely forgot about House when making the list, or that show would have been on here.)

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Yeah, we need to get back onto that. I've been thinkng about it for the last couple of weeks, actually. Sadly, I just usually have too much to watch.
Yeah, I'm going to start back on it after Halloween. I'm just a little too busy with the tv list, Halloween and work. Things will slow down after that.

If anyone one wants to join in the Buffy rewatch club we are halfway through season two. You can just jump in when we start back up, or start watching season 1 now and catch up.

House was my #1. My ultimate comfort TV. I really can't deny that in terms of character it veered off in some less than brilliant directions toward the end of its run, but House is my all-time favourite TV character and Laurie's performance through all eight seasons is consistently and rivetingly funny, wrenching and wonderful, and has shaped my worldview more than I should probably admit. On the strength of that, its addictive rewatchability, and some genuinely, I think, great episodes by any measure or comparison ("Houses Head"/"Wilson's Heart, "Three Stories", "Euphoria", "Half-Wit", "Both Sides Now", "Lockdown") it had to be tops, for me. Love it in spite of its flaws, I guess.

I can't do Buffy, as I only have the first 3 seasons and don't have Netflix or any of that good stuff. LOL! I will join in if you decided to do an Angel re-watch though.
The plan was to start on Angel when we get to the point in Buffy where he gets his own show so eventually it will happen.

64. The Rockford Files (1974 - 1980)

Theme Song

Quote: Are you kidding? You don't mouth off to anything that big. He looks like 190 pounds of gristle. ~ Jim Rockford

A series about an private investigator that had been wrongly imprisoned and later pardoned. The setting takes place in LA.

The idea was to recreate Maverick in a modern day setting. James Garner starred in both.

Trademark: Every episode would open with a recorded message from his answering machine.

Different sort of P.I.: Rockford was taken in a completely different direction than most P.Is of that time. He lived in a dilapidated trailer, wore cheap clothing and didn't always carry a gun.

Popularity: In 2008 it ranked 38th in the 100 greatest tv shows of all time. And in the sea of shows about private investigators, some still consider The Rockford Files the greatest one of all.

Placements: 1 1st, 1 3rd, 1 12th, 1 25th

63. Quantum Leap (1989-1993)

Theme Song

Quote: I can't have a life. All I do is live someone else's life. I right their wrongs, I fight their fights - geez, I feel like I'm Don Quixote. ~ Sam

A comedic science fiction show about a quantum physics professor that gets trapped during a time travel experiment.

Trademark: At the end of each episode Sam jumps into the setting of the next episode.

Weird science: Al is a hologram that can only be seen by Sam, small children and the mentally ill.

Finale: The last episode had many people divided but most of them didn't know that it wasn't intended to end there. The show was going to go in a very different direction with Sam now being able to leap at will. However, the series had been canceled.

Placements: 1 25th, 2 11th, 1 17th, 1 3rd

Two more shows that I liked, but never loved. I did get into Quantum Leap and really enjoyed it, but it wasn't something that I loved. They've just started reshowing The Rockford Files in the afternoons here, but I've yet to catch one.

I've never seen either of these shows, but I do love me some James Garner.

I found out two things of note while researching Quantum Leap. Firstly, Peggy Sue was originally titled Cindy Lou and was written for Buddy Holly's niece. Secondly, Dean Stockwell was really hot. I noticed he had great eyes and looked him up when he was younger.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Wow that's two of my really big hitters recently. Quantum Leap I had at #3 and Angel at #6. I know I'm in the minority but I actually prefer Angel to Buffy. I'm actually surprised Angel has shown up so early. I thought it would have been a lot closer to Buffy which I'm not expecting to show up for a long while yet.

They made a smart move by taking it in a different direction than Buffy and made it darker and more grown up.

I differ in opinion from a lot of people because I think it was great in its last season and I so wanted it to continue.
The darker, more adult tone was part of the reason I preferred it to Buffy. However the show was also great at comedy episodes. While Buffy could always be funny when it came to doing full-on comedy gimmick episodes I'd possibly give Angel the edge actually.

And I also loved the final season. In fact it may well be my favourite season, would need to go back through them to be sure. It had some great comedy episodes, the arrival of Spike and some great drama; becoming part of the monster he had been fighting (Wolfram & Hart), Angel's clashes with Spike, the return of Lindsey McDonald and the heartbreaking loss of Fred/introduction of the awesome Illyria.

And Quantum Leap is another show I just adore. Such a great fun premise which allowed for vastly different stories from week to week and two excellent performances from Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell. Bakula in particular was tremendous, revelling in being allowed to play a different character every week.

I actually met and had my photo taken with Dean Stockwell at a convention a few years back