The Movieforums Top 100 War Movies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

A Matter of Life and Death is one that I've heard of most of my life, sometimes by its other title, Stairway to Heaven. I think I like the former title better. Love David Niven but still have managed not to see this one. I did vote for another movie with Niven, though, but I'm not holding out much hope that it'll show.

I saw Wings decades ago and remember liking it but I can't remember everything that happened so I'll need to revisit it one day.

No votes, no glory.

78. Black Hawk Down
77. Kelly's Heroes
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

When I finally got a chance to see the Director's Cut, I was flabbergasted that the studio would have chosen to remove it. Without it, Eva Green's character is basically set dressing, and some of the character motivations, including her character's, don't track.
"Hollywood studiio/execs see actress as nothing more than set dressing. News at 11."

I thought about whether to include A Matter Of Life And Death but, in the end, I just don't enjoy it as much as those I did include. It is an excellent film otherwise and I'd certainly recommend it.

I've not seen Wings. I've just never been bothered about it.

A system of cells interlinked
Two more I haven't seen!

No votes.

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. If I'd thought to vote for it, A Matter of Life and Death might've made my list - that it happens during wartime seems circumstantial, but the way in which it segues into a courtroom drama that all but puts humanity on trial for the sake of one man's unusually good luck is an interesting approach to the subject. Wings is fine.

Oh, that did surprise me. I thought you were going to say, A Matter of Life and Death.

I, too, have seen one of these movies. And no surprise, it was A Matter of Life and Death. Was not in consideration for my ballot.
See, I figure Wings is the more "known" film as it won the first Best Picture (well, one of the two first, anyway). But I suppose neither film is exactly Star Wars on the level of public consciousness.

I have seen a few Powell/Pressburgers, but not that one.

See, I figure Wings is the more "known" film as it won the first Best Picture (well, one of the two first, anyway). But I suppose neither film is exactly Star Wars on the level of public consciousness.

I have seen a few Powell/Pressburgers, but not that one.

I think I hit the, "I'm over the Oscars," phase before I ever underwent the, "I'm going to watch all the major Oscar winners," phase (so I never did) - though I have seen Sunrise.

Trouble with a capital "T"
Forgot to mention A Matter of Life and Death...seen it but didn't really care for it. I wonder if I interpreted the film wrongly? I mean people seem to really love that movie and I myself love old romantic-dramas so I should've loved it enough to make my ballot..But as it was I remember panning the movie. Might need to rewatch at sometime.

I think I hit the, "I'm over the Oscars," phase before I ever underwent the, "I'm going to watch all the major Oscar winners," phase (so I never did) - though I have seen Sunrise.
The Oscars occupy a weird space for me. The concept is, obviously, ridiculous (compare all the movies and decide that one is "best"? Come on) and self-aggrandizing, but the reality is that, like it or not, they have a gravitational pull. So I tend to think them as light entertainment--not to be taken too seriously, but be aware of their status in the broader culture. Anyway, that's a long-winded way of saying I think Wings is worth checking out (but Powell/Pressburger films are probably better).

Sunrise is terrific--got to see that one in a theater, which was nice.

#78 #78
56 points, 5 lists
Breaker Morant
Director

Bruce Beresford, 1980

Starring

Edward Woodward, Jack Thompson, John Waters, Bryan Brown

#77 #77
56 points, 7 lists
Three Kings
Director

David O. Russell, 1999

Starring

George Clooney, Mark Wahlberg, Ice Cube, Spike Jonze

HINTS BREAKDOWN

78. Breaking stuff.

77. Three Kings is about gold bullion, but I knew there were other was movies about it.

78. Breaker Morant
77. Three Kings

*edit..
77. Kelly's Heroes
Since JC's first guess was Three Kings, he gets the five points. But be careful not to edit posts later and post them in separate posts in case someone guesses a correct answer before you replace yours.

I haven’t seen any of today’s movies or yesterday’s. I have to say though, a war movie starring George Clooney and Marky Mark, directed by David O. Russell sounds like my own personal nightmare.

Three Kings is one of my favorites. I think it's a fascinating and subversive film that reels you in with an apparent light and comedic approach only to knock you out with a really powerful commentary on war and America's role in it. It was my #7.

I haven't seen Breaker Morant.

Seen: 11/24

My ballot:  

Breaker Morant is a no for me. Three Kings I have seen (I'm on a roll here!), and I did like it at the time, but I haven't seen it since release, so no shot at my list. I walked past David O. Russell in a theater once!

At first glance I was thinking how interesting it is that we've had no repeating directors so far, but then again, I think this is a genre that most directors won't go often to? Other than Spielberg (Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List, Empire of the Sun) and Kubrick (Full Metal Jacket, Dr. Strangelove), what other director has gone often to war films?

Reply to Topic