Movie Tab II

Tools    

Haha, this set might be ever so slightly harsher than my usual distribution, but I do believe most films fall along the 2.5/3 star rating. And I still like most of these films, the only one I could truly say I disliked in this set is Love is Colder than Death. Many members on this site don't really utilize the full 0-5 rating sytem, and have scales that start with

I don't know that people "don't utilize" the full system, I think they don't view the ratings the same as you. To me a 2.5/5 or 50% is equivalent to an F, and not something I'd ever give to a movie I like.

Ok, if we're looking it mathematically than I suppose it can be viewed that way, and of course everyone's rating system is their own. I look at 2.5 as average which most movies are. Mark once told me a few years ago to look at ratings as a bell curve, which has resonated with me and is close to how my rating distribution look. I'd look at a 2.5 as more of a C+.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Here's my rating curve (always a funny word, since it's very similar to kurwa in Polish :P):

I tried to artificially make it a bell curve once by being harsh with my ratings and changing the ratings of some films, but with terrible results still visible today.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Welcome to the human race...
I don't know that people "don't utilize" the full system, I think they don't view the ratings the same as you. To me a 2.5/5 or 50% is equivalent to an F, and not something I'd ever give to a movie I like.
Does that mean you don't bother giving anything lower than a 2.5/5?

Anyway, I think a major part of what dictates my ratings is just how much there is to like about a film and, if there is nothing significantly likeable, then I have to determine how much I hate it. 2.5 and 2 still mean that there is something of worth (though not enough to make it a genuinely good movie), 1.5 would be boring, a 1 would be all-around awful, and a 0.5 would be irredeemable. There's a fair bit of nuance to any ratings that are lower than 3/5 (especially since my initial ratings are out of 4 and only go higher than 4 if they really earn it, often after repeat viewings) and if people think that means I'm being really harsh then so be it.

Does that mean you don't bother giving anything lower than a 2.5/5?
No. Definitely not. I've handed out very low ratings plenty of times. (Off the top of my head: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Platform, K-On, PMMM: Eternal, Winter's Tale)

It means if I like a movie, it's going to get something higher than 2.5. Though I don't typically rate anything lower than 2, as I can usually find something to appreciate about a film, even if the film still fails for me overall.

The Grandmaster (Wong Kar-wai, 2013)
+
I Travelled 9000 km To Give It To You (short) (Wong Kar-wai, 2007)

Fifty Shades of Grey (Sam Taylor-Johnson, 2015)

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Apocalypse Now - This movie proves that, sometimes, borderline insanity can make a good film into a great one.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Public Enemy: Live from Metropolis Studios (Ramy Dance, 2015)
(raised rating)
Oriental Paradise (James A. FitzPatrick, 1936)
+
Macao (Josef von Sternberg [& Nicholas Ray], 1952)

Kansas City Confidential (Phil Karlson, 1952)

Masked men perform an armored car robbery, but non-participant John Payne is framed for the job and travels to Mexico to learn why.
Spotlight No. 3 (Gordon Sparling, 1952)
-
The Queen of Versailles (Lauren Greenfield, 2012)
+
Black Ice aka A Passion for Murder (Neill Fearnley, 1992)

The Locket (John Brahm, 1946)

Psychologically-damaged femme fatale Laraine Day recalls something from her past during the London Blitz which provides the eyes for the painting Robert Mitchum did of her.
Gettin' Glamour (Philip Anderson, 1946)

The Mountain Men (Richard Lang, 1980)

Angel Baby (Otto Preminger, 1952)

El Sicario, Room 164 (Gianfranco Rosi, 2010)
+

A hooded sicario, or trained, expert assassin, relates 20 years of his life working for the Mexican drug cartels and explaining what lead him to quit his job and go into hiding.
John Dies at the End (Don Coscarelli, 2012)
+
Lord of the Jungle (Ford Beebe, 1955)

Talk About a Stranger (David Bradley, 1952)

Far from the Madding Crowd (Thomas Vinterberg, 2015)

In Victorian England, independent young woman Carey Mulligan inherits her uncle’s farm and has to pick from three suitors of different social status.
A Cadaver Christmas (Joe Zerull, 2011)

Vanishing Point (Richard C. Sarafian, 1971)

Greased Lightning (Michael Schultz, 1977)
+
Tangerines (Zaza Urushadze, 2013)

After he gets his tangerine crop harvested, Elmo Nüganen plans to leave Georgia for his native Estonia, but a bloody civil war erupts at his and his friend Lembit Ulfsak’s door.

I am stricter now and have no problems with giving out lower ratings when needed, but I will admit that the majority of the films I watch at the moment I rate high. That's because I choose films that I think I will love, and/or ones well regarded, if I watched every film that was released, my ratings would look about equal, probably.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Ant Man - Superheroic action comedy by Marvel Studios, this time focusing on Scott Lang (Paul Rudd), an ex-con trying to get his daughter back, but who is enlisted by retired cold war superhero Hank Pym (Michael Douglas) to become the new Ant Man (Who has the power to shrink to the size of an ant, and can also control the insects with a special transmitter), and stop a greedy scientist from turning his research over to Hydra. Paul Rudd is hilarious, as is his sidekick played by Michael Pena, and seeing Michael Douglas in a movie again is always welcome. This one is more in the vein of Guardians of the Galaxy, lots of laughs along with the heroics, part of me really wants to see Rudd's Ant Man in the same film with Chris Pratt's Star Lord. They both seem to share a more light hearted corner of the Marvel Universe than Captain America and Iron Man.

A system of cells interlinked
Kids

(Clark, 1995)

Still one of the most realistic films about ******* NY teens. A couple of actors started their careers here, and the director famously went and hung out with random skate kids before making this, even inviting some to be in the final film once he got production going. The result is an unflinching look at teen street life in the mid 90s. Controversial then, and I presume it still is today. I still hate Leo Fitzpatrick's Telly with a passion.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Beauty and the Beast
+ REWATCH
Take Shelter
+
The Toxic Avenger

South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut

Casablanca
+ REWATCH
On Golden Pond

State of Play
REWATCH
Wolf Children
-
The Jungle Book
REWATCH
Ant Man

+Rep for Take Shelter, -Rep for Toxic Avenger, should mean no rep for you but screw it I'll throw you a rep anyway.

Master of My Domain
Thought you would be more mad about the South Park rating.
Nah, we decided to just give up on that. You'll never end up realizing the brilliance of it.

The Toxic Avenger
I can't say I'm surprised, but do you mind putting your hatred into words?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I wasn't really engaged in the story at all. I think it was kind of off putting to make the guy such a geek. It would have been better if he were an average fellow to me. Of course, its cheesiness is probably a big reason why people enjoy it.

Beauty and the Beast should be higher, raul, but I'm throwing your rep for the ratings of Take Shelter, Casablanca, Wolf Children and Ant Man!

I haven't seen Ant-Man yet, but all those positive ratings and reviews for it makes me want to watch it!