Most Overrated Movies

Tools    

I think is
Godfather..........
Is that because you don't like it or because, good as it is, you think it's overrated?

Or you could be joking, of course. If that's the case, it didn't come over well.

Gigli

Just joking.
Thank goodness I thought were serious

First of all i am serious ..........
and second i am not saying that is not a good movie........it is good but not enough to be considered as the best of all time........thats way i am saying it is overrated...........

The Shawshank Redemption is by far and away the most overrated movie of all time. Seriously, its not even close. Which I find pretty funny really, what is it now almost 15 years old? Pretty soon all the kids that think its a great flick will be talking about it like they do those Black and White movies today.

This should conclude this thread. Can we get a lock on this now?

The Shawshank Redemption is by far and away the most overrated movie of all time. Seriously, its not even close. Which I find pretty funny really, what is it now almost 15 years old? Pretty soon all the kids that think its a great flick will be talking about it like they do those Black and White movies today.

This should conclude this thread. Can we get a lock on this now?
I think it is fair to say that The Shawshank Redemption (Darabont, 1994) is overrated in terms of popular culture. However, in filmic circles, some are far too quick to grab their anti-populist hats and disregard it completely. It is not the greatest film ever as IMDB would have you believe, but its also not the bucket of sensationalised claptrap that some think it is.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Never said it was claptrap, I don't even know what claptrap is. The movie is extremely overrated however.
No biggie, Powdered, since the Internet doesn't know what it is either. They're just so literal. The original concept and definition meant something which would trap a paying audience into clapping. Nowadays, it basically means "fake junk".

There goes Gunn hatin' more on Gigli, I see.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Come on now. As IMDB would have you believe. It's not until recently a.k.a The Dark Knight hit #1 (then eventually fell) did Shawshank really take the top spot.

Every time I checked it would be The Godfather (the most overrated movie of all time, along with Citizen Kane).

But I already had my say in this thread a while ago, so there is no use in repeating my same thoughts.

Suspect's Reviews

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I knew there was a reason I avoided this thread. It mostly disses essential movies. I have a question, and yes, I really want an answer. To everyone who has posted in here, name the movie and how many times you watched the entire film. Merry Christmas!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Godfather Twice
Citizen Kane Once

Both are a toss up sometimes for me. I will say that Kane was ahead of it's time, but certainly not the best film of all time as so many people claim it is.

Oh well.

Never said it was claptrap, I don't even know what claptrap is.
Apologies. In England its an understandable if slightly forgotten term. Its just a great deal nicer than saying bull****.

American Beauty

I think Fight Club and The Graduate are extremely overrated.

I suppose Fight Club is overrated by some (probably young men, mostly), but I count myself among its admirers.

Totally agree about The Graduate, though. Never quite understood what all the fuss was about.

I will always love Fight Club. It was one of the first films to really blow me away, and was my favorite film for a long time. The ending never gets old.

I like The Graduate, although I much prefer Harold and Maude which has a similar thing going on both story-wise and with the music.

I am having a nervous breakdance
So, last night I saw The Dark Knight for the second time. Considering the enormous, almost unbelievable, praise it's received from all directions I have to say that it's overrated.

Why? I'll be brief.

The Batman/Bruce Wayne character is totally uninteresting (perhaps partly because of the brilliant portrayal of The Joker by Ledger - he stole the show, to put it mildly). And can someone please tell me why Bruce Wayne starts talking like that as soon as he puts on the Batman suit?

The favouring of action over suspense and story. In other words, I was bored (fell asleep the first time).

It's not a bad film. Every scene with The Joker in it is excellent. But 9.0 on IMDb??? Come on....

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.