Pyro's Top 100 Movies

→ in
Tools    

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
1. Oldboy (Chan Wook Park, 2003)

A Korean tale of revenge, Oh Daesu is imprisoned for seemingly no reason, years laters he's released with the task of finding out why he was jailed. There's too many things i like about this film to do it justice in a short write-up, the premise is cool, the acting is awesome, the twists are rather controversial and the little action is incredible. The one shot fight scene is far more enjoyable than Lucas' expensive sabre duels.

The scenes of torture are not done to excess, yet they revel in the pain- DIY dentistry with a hammer. Oh Daesu's transformation in character to a monster makes it hard to empathise, but when his tenderness is shown with Mido, and the effects of his imprisonment become evident he becomes more of a sympathetic hero. The end in the skyscraper is one of the best endings in any film, the impact the twists has almost made me feel nauseas, plus the action and build up; it's all directed with such flair. Despite loosing some of the punch on repeated viewing, it's left a LONG lasting impression with me to this day.
I was at Best Buy last night picking up a computer and was walking around in the dvd section and saw this one. After reading about it hear I tottaly just bought it (It was like 25 bucks). Brought it home and watched it right away. And your right this is an awesome movie, and the ending actually got me screaming obsenities under my breath. It was just shocking.

The Reaping 7/10
Transformers 8.5/10
Flight of the Living Dead 6/10
The Invisible 6/10
Return to House on Haunted Hill 1/10
Planet Terror 8/10
A Mighty Heart 7/10

yea the ending of Oldboy shocked the hell out of me. I felt somewhat disgusted after watching it

I love so many movies that I could never make a top 10, little lone a 100. All I know is a few that would be in there...

What Dreams May Come
The Princess Bridge
Snatch
Jerimiah Johnson
Training Day
Silence Of The Lambs
Pumping Iron
This list could be endless.

Nicely done (applause), I concur with a lot of your choices although I probably wouldn't rank them in the same positions as you have. Nonetheless, superb list and I am putting one together at this very moment. Stay cool, and hit us up with some more lists.

thanks to your list I have 5 movies added to my Q.

THANKS

A system of cells interlinked
Waht Dreams May Come, while shot extremely well, is a rather dire film otherwise. Overly melodramatic, and sometimes bordering on absurd, it really doesn't have much beyond great cinematography. I wouldn't recommend it.

I am Jack's custom user title...
Interresting list Pyro Tramp but don't you feel like you left out a couple of top 10 maybe top 20 movies? Especially if you're a horror fan.Maybe it's just me but i feel that theres some great movies missing from this list judging by your taste for movies.

Such as?

I keep remembering films i wish i'd put on the list even after i'd made it. Top 10 changes in my mind pretty constantly so hard to pin it down. Apart from The Thing, Evil Dead, Shaun of the Dead and possibly Romero's trilogy can't think of any horrors that i'd rate as top 10.

Just looked through my list and Lost Highway should be in there, Alien is definitely better than Aliens and think 2046 is too high and posibly A Bittersweet Life belongs in there and when i get to watching it, some of the films in my Almodovar boxset might be due a place.

A system of cells interlinked
Pyro - Which version of Lost Highway do you have? We still can't get access to a decent transfer, or widescreen for that matter, over here. I can't stand my version...

It came in the Lynch boxset with Mulholland Dr and Eraserhead but it's been discontinued, though we have a Special (2 disc?) Edition out now.

UPDATED TOP 25

1. Oldboy (Chan Wook Park, 2003)
2. Evil Dead 2 (Sam Raimi, 1987)
3. Blue Velvet (David Lynch, 1986)
4. Holy Mountain (Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1973)
5. Chinatown (Roman Polanski, 1974)
6. 8 1/2 (Federico Fellini, 1963)
7. Blade Runner (Ridley Scott, 1982)
8. Izo (Takashi Miike, 2004)
9. The Crow (Alex Proyas, 1994)
10. Mulholland Drive (David Lynch, 2001)
11. Videodrome (David Cronenberg, 1983)
12. Hard Boiled (John Woo, 1992)
13. The Passenger (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1975)
14. Performance (Nicolas Roeg, 1970)
15. Lawrence of Arabia (David Lean, 1962)
16. Once Upon a Time in the West (Sergio Leone, 1968)
17. Crash (David Cronenberg, 1996)
18. Amelie (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001)
19. INLAND EMPIRE (David Lynch, 2006)
20. Dead Man (Jim Jarmusch, 1995)
21. Irreversible (Gaspar Noe, 2002)
22. Shaun of the Dead (Edgar Wright, 2004)
23. Apocalypse Now (Francis Ford Coppola, 1979)
24. The Thing (John Carpenter, 1982)
25. The Fountain (Darren Aronofsky, 2006)

The People's Republic of Clogher
8. Izo (Takashi Miike, 2004)
Brave.

Well, i've always had a soft spot for The Crow; Proyas is a fine director and extremely underrated. As for the film, it's got some great, tightly shot action sequences and an excellently photographed gothic atmosphere and some good performances especially from Micheal Wincott. Definitely prefer it to Batman which has the laboured Tim Burton cinematography unlike The Crow which seems so much more natural and is also a lot darker considering most of it is about exacting revenge and killing goons in novel ways. Also the whats-his-face links to his poem (The Raven?).

Nice list Pyro.... I have a soft spot for The Crow too... and have it on my top 100 (which I am still trying to finish )....

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)