19. Probably not now we’re within the Top 20
20. Easy Rider (1969) - 38th
21. Had as a definite, but getting worried now
22. The Good, The Bad And The Ugly (1966) - 3rd
23. West Side Story (1961) - 28th
24. Persona (1966) - 11th
25. Probably not now we’re within the Top 20

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Did I really miss 4 days of movies? I know I hadn't really been here for a couple of days, but I didn't think it was that many.

Anyway, I will admit that I am not a big Kubrick fan. But there are two movies that I like of his. And what I like, I REALLY like. The one title I will save for another time in life. But the other one is "Dr. Strangelove".

I had it at #14 on my list. I think it is a funny movie. What else can I say?

I see others are posting films that they nominated but didn't make it. Here's my fine choices, that got overlooked

I expected to see these 3 on the Countdown:

Mutiny on the Bounty (1962)

The Children's Hour (1961)

Lord of the Flies (1963)

I didn't expect these 2 to show up:
The Parent Trap (1961)

The Naked Kiss (1964)

been a while since i've watched Good, the Bad & the Ugly. While the Man With No Name trilogy is meant to be three stand-alone stories, the story chronology could work in reverse if you look at the reverse-progression of Clint's Man With No Name who actually has a nickname in each film

Good, the Bad & the Ugly As Blondie, Clint's a total azzhole, and doesn't don the mexican poncho until the end. Tuco's the character i like best in the story, easily
i'm looking for the owner of that horse
he's tall, blonde, he smokes a cigar, and he's a pig!
For a Few Dollars More As Manco, meaning the one-armed man, Clint begins as a vicious heartless bounty killer, and ends up learning a few professional pointers from Lee Van Cleef's respectable Colonel Mortimer. A retired military officer from the Carolinas. Then they take down Indio's band of cutthroats.
Tell me Colonel, were you ever young?
And just as reckless as you

Fistful of Dollars As Joe, Clint even shows selfless tendencies... setting free a family exploited by Ramón's dirty bandits
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. Ya see, my mule don't like people laughin'

Most recent memory with Good, the Bad & the Ugly was listening to this music when playing live poker on a cruise ship some years ago

Didn't vote for it, however. only *four* movies i voted for made the countdown, and just three so far. Maybe even less than the arthouse mafia

5. -- For a Few Dollars More --
6. --------- Black Sunday --------
24. - Night of the Living Dead -

[left]been a while since i've watched Good, the Bad & the Ugly.
I'd leave it a good while longer if I were you. BTW, 3? Jesus, man, what did you nominate?

Rep for The Children's Hour, CR.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Once Upon a Time in the West was 8th on my list!

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly was 11th!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I had TGTBATU as my number 22. I like it, but I prefer A Fistful of Dollars more. I voted for the last two, so we shall see where they fall. Though in hindsight I should have moved my #9 up to around #5. Oh well. We will see if this makes a difference.

1. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) #4
2. The Producers
3. Le Samourai (1967) #24
4. Night of the Living Dead (1968) #20
5. A Fistful of Dollars (1964) #51
6. Planet of the Apes (1968)
7. High and Low (1963) #23
8. The Hustler (1961) #26
9. Possibly at #1.
10. The Manchurian Candidate (1962) #34
11. The Battle of Algiers (1966) # 69
12. What Ever Happened to Baby Jane (1962) #73
13. Red Beard (1965) #60
14. Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966) #29
15. Cool Hand Luke (1967) #12
16. True Grit (1969) #72
17. Sanjuro
18. Could be Number 1
19. The Wild Bunch (1969) #15
20. The Great Escape (1963) #30
21. Yojimbo (1961) #17
22. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (1966) #3
23. To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) #13
24. Peeping Tom (1960) #33
25. Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966) (1 Pointer)

Seen 58/100

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly was number 3 on my list. It is the 16th movie to appear on the countdown and the only one to have the same position on both my list and the official countdown.

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
I'm glad to see that my vote wouldn't have got Once Upon a Time in the West any higher on the list. It is clearly a masterpiece and would have been #1 on mine (had I handed it in).

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly would have been on mine too, as would Dr. Strangelove.

All brilliant. Though Once Upon a Time in the West is the greatest. I may never see a more perfect film.

Reviews

Master of My Domain

The Good the Bad and the Ugly was my #2

I guess you have to have a long title to make it to the Top 5 of a MoFo list. The Good the Bad and the Ugly aka quite possibly the coolest film ever made, was of course high on my list.

My history with this film starts off when I was a wee lad, back when my dad actually lived together in our house. He was an average moviegoer but did have a great taste in fun, classic movies. Once he introduced me to TGTBTU and I enjoyed it, but mom didn't approve and for a long time I couldn't rewatch it. Then I coincidentally caught it on TV and the film was even more brilliant than last time.

Now as an adult and a pretty experienced cinephile I can say so much about why I think TGTBTU is the greatest Western ever made. We first start off directly with a signature move - and that is the score by Morricone, along with the opening credits, which makes you feel like floating in the sky while holding one hand with the devil and in the other hand having a badass revolver.

On with the film. The director, famously the one and only Sergio Leone, is a master of creating a Western world that is not only gritty and full of outlaws, but also very enigmatic and full of hidden treasure, almost like a hidden island or hellish paradise. It's a feeling that you can almost never feel in other Westerns (mostly American ones, but they are excellent for other reasons ). One of the reasons why Leone can create such a world is his unique combination of ultra wide shots and ultra close-ups. By doing this you can go in and out of a frame, reveal new enemies and locations, and overall create suspense and grandness.

The Good (Clint Eastwood) The Bad (Lee Van Cleef) The Ugly (Eli Wallach) are the three that fight and scramble for a hidden chest full of moolah in a graveyard. Out of these three my favorite would definitely be Wallach's character. Wallach gives a underrated performance that skates on the edge of making you feel sorry for the character, feel disgust, and wish he could just go away. I think he is the true main character, because most events revolve around him. Anyways, as these three use their own ways, and a results creating some epic gunfights.

Okay, the film does have some problems, such as unnecessary scenes (Civil War) stuff and Lee Van Cleef not getting enough time to build up as a true villain, but by the time those two strike the film becomes way too awesome for you to give a flying f*ck or nitpick. Speaking of the Civil War scenes, yes it's kinda pointless but it's also complete cinematic masturbation, as armies of solilders go down a hill and cross a bridge in one sweeping shot.

When he get to the final showdown... well this one doesn't need any explanation. Leone keeps the tension for 5 minutes with three people glancing at each other and flimsily touching at their rifle holders. The scene speaks for itself:

F*cking Masterpiece people!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
The Good The Bad & The Ugly was at #10

1. The Great Escape #30
2. Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid #21
3. The Hustler #26
4. The Wild Bunch #15
5. The Lion in Winter #77
8. Le Samourai #24
9. Cool Hand Luke #12
10. The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly #3
11. True Grit #72
13. TO BE EITHER #2 OR #1
14. Planet of the Apes #14
17. Oliver! #90
22. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf #29
22, Italian Job #85
25. Bonnie & Clyde #45

Post the last two now!!!!!!!!

"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Speaking of the Civil War scenes, yes it's kinda pointless but it's also complete cinematic masturbation, as armies of solilders go down a hill and cross a bridge in one sweeping shot.
It's another obstacle for our (anti-)heroes to overcome. Also, we have three main characters whose only motivation is greed contrasted with soldiers who are selflessly sacrificing themselves for a cause...which in this case is the meaningless possession of a bridge. It adds even more depth to the movie, and that's why I like to point it out, since some seem to think GBU lacks the depth of, you know, the next Leone film.

"I've never seen so many men wasted so badly."