The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

It's the 60's. Who gives a ****?
It's not about that. It's about seeing if I'm right about it being Dr. Strangelove.

These were the predictions I made a while a go.

1. Psycho
2. Dr. Strangelove
3. The Good the Bad and the Ugly
4. 2001
5. The Apartment (8)
6. Once Upon a Time in the West (5)
7. Lawrence of Arabia (CORRECT!)
8. Midnight Cowboy (10)
9. The Graduate (6)
10. Rosemary's Baby (9)

The Breakdown...

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

5x 1st (125 points), 2nd (24 points), 4x 3rd (92 points), 8x 4th (176 points), 5th (21 points), 5x 6th (100 points), 7th (19 points), 2x 8th (36 points), 2x 9th (34 points), 2x 10th (32 points), 11th (15 points), 3x 14th (36 points), 15th (11 points), 2x 16th (20 points), 2x 20th (12 points), 24th (2 points)

Notes

The film was the only to receive its amount of points, so no tie breaking was needed.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Not sure if this or Fear and Desire is the worst Kubrick film. Both
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity
NEW TOP 6 GUESS:

1. 2001
2. Psycho
3. The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
4. Dr. Strangelove
5. Once Upon a Time in the West
6. The Graduate

Dr Strangelove was obviously my number one. A top ten favorite film for a very long time. It is stunning cinematography, amazing sets, funny characters, dark humor, and brilliant in it's writing, dialogue, as well as it concept. It is also hilarious, and my favorite film from Kubrick Very happy it made it so high.

1. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) #4
2. The Producers
3. Le Samourai (1967) #24
4. Night of the Living Dead (1968) #20
5. A Fistful of Dollars (1964) #51
6. Planet of the Apes (1968)
7. High and Low (1963) #23
8. The Hustler (1961) #26
9. Possibly at #1.
10. The Manchurian Candidate (1962) #34
11. The Battle of Algiers (1966) # 69
12. What Ever Happened to Baby Jane (1962) #73
13. Red Beard (1965) #60
14. Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966) #29
15. Cool Hand Luke (1967) #12
16. True Grit (1969) #72
17. Sanjuro
18. Could be Number 1
19. The Wild Bunch (1969) #15
20. The Great Escape (1963) #30
21. Yojimbo (1961) #17
22. Could be Number 1
23. To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) #13
24. Peeping Tom (1960) #33
25. Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966) (1 Pointer)

Seen 58/100

Woody Allen is a pedophille
1. Dr strangelove
2. The Graduate
5. Mary Poppins
7. To Kill a Mockingbird
9. Psycho
12. Lawrence of Arabia
13. Bonnie and Clyde
14. Rosemary's Baby
15. Goldfinger
16. Breakfast at Tiffany's
18. The Birds
19. The Apartment
20. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
21. Midnight Cowboy
22. Easy Rider
23. The Jungle Book
24. 8 1/2
25. The Great Escape

Master of My Domain

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Stopped Worrying and Love the Bomb was my #1.

Not only was this number one on my list, it also my third favorite film of all-time. I love this film so much that I am willing to defend it against any type of criticism. Even if HK, MV, and Raul clone themselves and make a battalion, I'll still be fighting until they are convinced and learn to stop worrying and embrace a true masterpiece.

Dr. Strangelove in my opinion is the greatest war film ever made. It is also a comedy, but personally I think the first genre that should be tagged when describing this film should definitely be "anti-war". The brilliance comes from the comical undertones, situations, and most of all, skating on the edge of parody while having a serious poker face.

It feels like everyone on screen is trying to pull off a huge joke on us, which is right, that's what Kubrick had in mind. The juicy part: the character think they are doing something intelligent, when we all know that they are merely buffoons wanting their own of a possible survival against an incoming nuclear missile.

This film has some great quotable dialogue, and if you can not at least smile at them, you are not human. Every single line of dialogue is full of hilarity, irony ("Gentleman, you can't fight in here, this is the war room!), and indirectly making fun of war. My favorite would be Gen Buck (George C Scott) threatening an officer, saying that if he doesn't do what he says he will have to answer the Coca Cola company. Another one is Dr. Strangelove (Peter Sellers, who btw should have gotten an Oscar) talking about his reproduction plan with a sheer amount of energy, somberness, and insanity.

Sometimes the plot goes way out of hand to crack a few jokes with a look of confidence, but that's exactly why I love the film. And, in a situation of incoming disaster, who would have enough metal stability to lead a plot? None of them are, and it's why the plot seems made over the course of time, and not decided from the start.

Seen after 30 years, Dr. Strangelove seems remarkably fresh and undated - a clear-eyed, irreverent, dangerous satire. Black and white conceals the evilness with a veil of doom, and creates an even more effective atmosphere and tension than color. If only satire films were as good as this one, the world would a better place for sure.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Dr. Strangelove was my #4. I have my short review and my longer appreciation in my mafo MoFo 100.
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (Stanley Kubrick, 1964)
- Although some people don't find anything humorous about this film, it is clearly one of the funniest films ever made, a non-stop cavalcade of wonderfully-timed and beautifully-acted scenes which just also happen to be exciting and scary. However, above all, it's truly a miracle of black humor played almost completely straight with enough truth and reality to make you choke on the laughs more than once.
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (Stanley Kubrick, 1964)

Dr. Strangelove was made at the height of the Cold War, and it turned the ultra-seriousness of something like Fail-Safe into a black comedy. Even so, I know a few people, who while watching this hilarious film, want me to "point out the funny parts". The thing about this film is that, even if you don't get a single joke, it's so damned suspenseful, and occasionally, realistic, that you would have to think it's almost a documentary. The characters' names should be a dead giveaway that you're dealing with a comedy, but I guess some people don't have a sense of humor, or maybe it's limited to fart jokes. The characters' roll call: Dr. Strangelove, Buck Turgidson, Jack D. Ripper, King Kong, Bat Guano, Premier Kissoff, Lothar Zogg, etc.

True, Dr. Strangelove is full of humor, jokes and utter ridiculousness; even enough to rival a Monty Python film, but some people can't get through Kubrick's realism to see the humor. This film contains some truly great action/suspense scenes. The Army has to attack Burpleson Air Force Base to try to stop General Ripper, and that scene is almost like watching documentary Viet Nam war footage. The realism gets to you. Even better, when the Soviet missile hones in on Major Kong's bomber, trying to blow it out of the sky, the scene is played out in real time and is nail-bitingly suspenseful. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the only film which can compare to this dark comedy crossed with extreme suspense is The Manchurian Candidate.

Ultimately, this film leaves one thinking about the end of the world. It could very well happen in the blink of an eye, caused by a madman, even if he's NOT an American. This should give everyone pause to consider Dr. Strangelove as a clarion call (yes, even to this day) because it really doesn't take that much for the check and double check system to collapse. It won't go down as hilariously as it does here (if it does), but it will go down just as easily, or perhaps even easier if nobody even understands what this film is about or why it's so flippin' awesome.

Some know, but others don't. Peter Sellers (and not Nick Cage!) is in all three photos.

Strangelove was my #5. Here's what the movie does flawlessly: direction, acting, writing, tone, pacing, cinematography. The only thing it's lacking is Michael Bay type explosions.

Now, let us all wait for that other Kubrick movie which should be #1.