The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I had Through A Glass Darkly on my list at 17. Bergman is the man. That's how us mainstreamers assess the greatest art-house director of all time.

My List:

17. Through A Glass Darkly
25. The Grass Is Greener (one pointer)

4/20 Watched

I saw half of The Trial. That will remain unwatched.
Did you not like The Trial Sean?

Another two I haven't seen. Think I may watch Through a Glass Darkly tonight.

Seen - 8/20

My List:

25.From Russia With Love

Unregistered User
Two great films. Red Desert literally got pushed out of my list at the last minute and although TAGD was on my list, it was too low, a decision I now regret. Fear not Ingmar for you could literally have another 8 films show on the list!!

Your teacher probably felt sorry for you.
Now that certainly isn't true. We disagreed quite often. Plus he had no input on the marking of any of my final exam essays.

Most people don't agree with me. That's just means that most of you are wrong.
I do like seeing the HK approach to life spreading around the place.

#ZeroMusicalsOn60sListClub
Like normal people.

Did you not like The Trial Sean?
I didn't stop it because of that, my kids interrupted the viewing. It was feeling like a chore though and nothing anyone has said makes me want to go back to it.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Through a Glass Darkly was 20th on my list. It's obviously a masterpiece. Red Desert is great, too, but didn't make my list.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I liked both of these movies but neither were close to making my list.

The Red Desert was by far my favorite out of the Antonioni movies I watched, but for me, that's not saying much.

There's at least 4 60's Bergman films I like more than Through a Glass Darkly.

I have now seen everything to show up, but it's a big zero for my list so far.

Both great films. I can't remember if I had either on my list, though.

Both great films. I can't remember if I had either on my list, though.
I thought for sure you'd have voted for Through A Glass Darkly.
Did you not save a copy of your list? In your sent messages folder, maybe?

I thought for sure you'd have voted for Through A Glass Darkly.
Did you not save a copy of your list? In your sent messages folder, maybe?
I just checked and can't find it.

You're a slacker, Swan.
How does that make me a slacker? I'm not disagreeing, just curious.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I have my list in the quotation that Daniel M sent me in response to my list.

I love Bergman but Through a Glass Darkly didn't make my list. It's good but I rated it in the bottom half of his filmography. Red Desert is excellent and was number 17 on my list. Antonioni's first colour film is a visual masterpiece IMO.

Have now watched The Jungle Book. It has some decent moments but I wouldn't have voted for it.

My list:

8. The Human Condition III
17. Red Desert
22. Viridiana
25. Fail-Safe

Seen 17 of 20

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
I think I started watching Through A Glass Darkly once, I definitely didn't finish it though and can't remember any of what I did watch. Therefore I have no opinion on these recent two entries.

Reviews

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Two more which are not on my list. I just watched Red Desert recently again, and although it follows the usual Antonioni theme of a mystery buried within alienation effects caused by the direction and the photography, I do find it better than his earlier films because they seem to go hand-in-hand with Monica Vitti's revealed mental illness and the use of color does heighten these intended effects. It still has some maddening-obtuse stretches, and Richard Harris seems out of place, but it's clear that it's leading toward the direction of Blow-Up. I find it interesting that both films today are about mental illness.

Here's what I said about the other film the last time I wrote about it here:
Through a Glass Darkly (Ingmar Bergman, 1961)
; Art House Rating:

Bergman's first "chamber drama" is also one of his most accessible, telling the story of schizophrenic young Karin (Harriet Andersson) who has recently left a mental hospital to return to the island home of her family, her doctor husband Martin (Max von Sydow), her novelist father David (Gunnar Björnstrand) and her younger, awkward brother Minus (Lars Passgård). The siblings have a problem with their father because he always seems to be off somewhere writing his latest "popular" novel and never seems to have time for them. Besides that, Karin seems to be getting worse, she's become frigid, cannot sleep and honestly believes that she's living in two worlds and is beginning to feel that she prefers the one which nobody else can see or hear. Harriet Andersson goes through staggering emotional range in this powerful film, beautifully photographed by Sven Nykvist. There are a couple of scenes in this film which are the equal of Bergman's best. For me those would be the scene with the voices coming through the cracks in the wall and the possible arrival of Karin's God in that second-story room near the film's climax. This was the first film of a trilogy which also included Winter Light (1962) and The Silence (1963).

My list so far:

5. Red Desert (1964) (#82)
25. I Even Met Happy Gypsies (1967) (one pointer)
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...