The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Mark F's no-shows, not yet revealed otherwise...

#150 Macbeth (36 points, four votes)
#168 The French Connection II (31 points, three votes)
#182 Allegro Non Troppo (26 points, three votes)
#190 Next Stop, Greenwich Village (25 points, three votes)
#222 The Wanderers (21 points, two votes)
#377 Joe (4 points, only you)

I'm quite surprised so many of Marks showed up. In my opinion he has demonstrated the most vast knowledge of cinema on the foum. And he also seems to have a very unique taste, i suppose the 70s was just one of the decades that he largely agreed with the consensus.

What about these from my list?
7. Carnal Knowledge (1971)
22. New York, New York (1977)
23. Night Moves (1975)
#167 Carnal Knowledge (31 points, three votes)
#205 Night Moves (23 points, three votes)
#379 New York, New York (4 points, just you)

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	harry caul.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	17131  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I've gotten 116 rep points since posting the top two, this morning. Geesh! I have no idea how much since I started these two threads? A couple thousand, I would think.

I've been sitting here for hours, Guys. Signing off, until tomorrow.

Attachments

Name:	116.png
Views:	833
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	17132   Click image for larger version

Name:	gun.jpg
Views:	865
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	17133  

my choices with those not making it in red

1. Apocalypse Now
2. Don't Look Now
3. The Ballad of Orin
4. The Conversation
5. Scum
6. The Godfather
7. The Godfather II
8. Fist of Fury
9. The Warriors
10. Alien
11. The Abominable Dr Phibes
12. Drunken Master
13. Lady Snowblood
14. The Wicker Man
15. Spirit of the Beehive
16. The Hills Have Eyes
17. The Last Waltz
18. Serpico
19. Barry Lyndon
20. Stalker
21. Un Flic
22. Magnificent Butcher
23. Dawn of the Dead
24. Way of the Dragon
25. Concert for Bangladesh

Forgot to say: well done, Holden, for running such a well-organised, methodical, and entertaining list. Really enjoyed reading it and finding some films I've yet to watch.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Not really since it's not Brando who says it, it's Richard Castellano who plays Clemenza; he says it to Rocco straight after he killed Paulie. Also the take the cannoli part was improvised by Castellano, the original line was just leave the gun.
Thanks for the correction. Been a while since I saw it so I suspect popular culture has attributed it to Brando's character incorrectly. Great improvisation by Castellano as that really is a stand-out line.

Thanks for the correction. Been a while since I saw it so I suspect popular culture has attributed it to Brando's character incorrectly. Great improvisation by Castellano as that really is a stand-out line.
I actually reread your comment and i think i was the one that was confused. Brando is the character who says the "i'll make him an offer he can't refuse" line i think i read it too fast and thought you were saying that Brando said the "take the canolli" line, unless that was what you were saying?

Al pacino actually says the can't refuse line twice that i can remember as well, the scene with Kay during the wedding but it's worded differentl when he's talking about Luca Brasi. And the scene that he announces his intention to buy Moe Green out.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
I actually reread your comment and i think i was the one that was confused. Brando is the character who says the "i'll make him an offer he can't refuse" line i think i read it too fast and thought you were saying that Brando said the "take the canolli" line, unless that was what you were saying?
Yeah, you misread my comment initially. I can't say I have a truly vivid memory of Brando giving the "refuse" line due in part to it being appropriated by popular culture, but the cannoli execution scene is etched in my memory.

Yeah, you misread my comment initially. I can't say I have a truly vivid memory of Brando giving the "refuse" line due in part to it being appropriated by popular culture, but the cannoli execution scene is etched in my memory.

Did anybody else vote for Woodstock?

I've gotten 116 rep points since posting the top two, this morning. Geesh! I have no idea how much since I started these two threads? A couple thousand, I would think.
3,098 in this thread, 472 in the other.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!

The Godfather was #21 on my list. It is the first time I had the #1 movie on my list.

I made a little picture thingy like Nostromo87 did showing off my list. I did not label it, but, from top to bottom, it's #1 to 25 of my list: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Rocky, Rocky II, Pink Flamingos, A Clockwork Orange, Halloween, Mad Max, Foxy Brown, Coffy, Harold and Maude, Carrie, Alien, Tommy, Little Big Man, The Deer Hunter, The Muppet Movie, Taxi Driver, The Jerk, Last Tango in Paris, The Godfather, Patton, Apocalypse Now, Caligula and Pumping Iron.

The Sexy Seventies

Attachments

Name:	sexy70s.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	17136  

1. Chinatown (1974)
    Eraserhead (1977)
    Apocalypse Now (1979)
    The Long Goodbye (1973)
    Kramer vs Kramer (1979)
    Annie Hall (1977)
    Straw Dogs (1971)
    When a Stranger calls (1979)
    Cries & Whispers (1972)
    A clockwork orange (1971)
    Network (1976)
    Jaws (1975)
    The Godfather (1972)
    High Anxiety (1977)
    Young Frankenstein (1974)
    Sisters (1973)
    Ali: Fear eats the soul (1974)
    Solaris (1972)
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
    Wise Blood (1979)
    Amarcord (1973)
    Dirty Harry (1971)
    The Holy Mountain (1973)
    Beware of the holy whore (1971)
    Tale of Tales (1979)

Quick little factoid about site activity and the list: the time period right around the relaunch still holds most traffic records, since everyone was exploring all the new stuff. However, during the home stretch of this list, the just-concluded first week in September, the site had the second-highest number of pageviews in any week since--that's covering more than six months. And the two months the list was going (July and August) are #1 and #2 in pageviews since that initial burst right after the relaunch.

Probably not a coincidence. Nice job!

I know everyone has said it and has said, pretty much, the same thing, however, Holden you really have done a magnificent job with this countdown. Sure, you had the best decade to do, but you made the most of it and really put together a fantastic thread. It's been a pleasure.

And now the only thing to look forward to is the Animation Countdown....

Although, there is the TV show countdown.

A quick visual aid/addendum to the last post. Here's the site's traffic (in pageviews) for the last two and a half years. Pretty slow/steady increases through 2012 and into 2013, starts increasing faster after the new server in October, explodes right after the redesign, comes back down to earth (but still very historically high)...and then ticks up close to post-redesign levels when the 70s list goes up.