The MoFo Top Comic Book & Graphic Novel Movies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The diversity of Asian cinema is really appealing to me, surely there is some Asian movie you would love, Cricket?
I love I Saw the Devil and really liked Ichi the Killer. Other than that, I really struggle to get into Asian movies. There's still a few I want to see, including those from Kurosawa.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Finally getting to the good stuff! Last 2 sets have been awesome!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
7. The Crow
10. Red
11. Men in Black
12. Blade
13. 300
14. Blade 2
15. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
17. Hellboy
19. Superman
23. Dick Tracy
25. KickAss

WOW, quite a few from my list made it these last two rounds.

The Crow What more can I say about this beautifully realized gothic tale? It has one of the best comic book film performances from Brandon Lee, it has some of the best set pieces of a bygone art form (miniatures) and it simply kicks ass. Alex Proyas struck gold with this film and continued on the gothic path with Dark City, one of my favourite sci/fi films of all time.

Blade I wrote about how much I love Blade II, that goes double for Blade. I must have worn out my VHS copy of this film when I was younger. I just thought he was such a bad ass cool character. That opening sequence is one of the best opening sequences to an action film I've ever seen. I love this flick, even the goofy looking special effects.

300 Zack Snyder might have managed to remake a cult classic with Dawn of the Dead and NOT screw it up, but it was 300 that gave him his signature style and made him a sought after director. Not only that, but it made a star out of Gerard Butler and gave us a line that had so many movie fans quoting and kicking that it deserves a place on this list.

Hellboy Yes Hellboy. I'm not IN LOVE with this film, nor am I in love with the sequel. My biggest problem with both films is that they are GOOD. They serve the material, they serve the genre and I always seemed to want a bit more out of both entries. Why is it on my list if I'm just okay with the film? Well, that honour goes to Ron Perlman, who knocks it out of the park as the titled character.

Superman While I give credit to X-Men for kick starting the current Superhero genre, you have to hand it to the original. Superman is a classic comic book adaptation that many have failed to imitate. I love the sequel just as much, but if I had to pick one, I pick the one with the absurd time travel plot line that no one likes.

Kick Ass Finally we have Kick Ass. Who doesn't love a film that has a violent, foul mouthed little girl shooting, chopping and simply kicking ass. So much cursing and killing that Roger Ebert detests this movie. Sometimes the critic got em wrong and he got this one wrong folks. This is a fun film.

Suspect's Reviews

Two a day until the final four now? That's gonna take forever and it's not like we don't know what to expect.

The layout has been set for the past 3 weeks and you're only now saying something.

Yep... two a day up to 5th place then the Top 4 are done in one go... it helps with numbers and only takes 9 days. Other Countdowns by now would be in the middle of the list, if I went by the usual standard today's reveal (in a few hours from now) would just be starting the Top 40... 40th and 39th, with a massive 20 days still to go.

I know, but it's a weird pacing issue for me. We've been doing 4 a day, now suddenly we're gonna do two a day until the final four?

Big deal that we're at #20 and things like Batman & Robin won't be showing up. I'd rather keep going with the pace we were at. No reason, really, to slow down now. Especially if the last four are gonna be revealed on one day.

It's all about the third act

We've had act 1, the build up (100-61).
Then the main story and surprises for act 2 (60-21).
It's now all about act 3, some tension leading to the reveal and the finish (20-01).

Well, apparently, this movie here you're making already had Acts 1 and 2 ruined by things like Batman & Robin and Tank Girl, according to others. Now you're just gonna drag ass during Act 3? The critics will tear you apart.

I think it's funny that this has been the plan for 3 weeks and only now he says something.
Forgive me for not concerning myself with all these fine details already.

Ok, we probably all know what's coming up, but I think the unknown order being revealed slowly will be fun.

Might make for a few surprises with the positions too.

It's a shame that you didn't do two a day already, though, for the whole thing.

People waiting everyday to see all that crap, very slowly... now that would have been beautiful.

You should have made the whole list one movie a day. Then it probably would have received a lot more respect.