Is vegetarian diet linked to poor sports performance ?

Tools    

Is vegetarian diet linked to poor sports performance ?
33.33%
5 votes
Yes
53.33%
8 votes
No
13.33%
2 votes
Can't say
15 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Another Olympics will come and go and the world's second largest populated country ( India , a rising economic power with the highest economic growth rate among the larger nations ) will probably go without a single medal---yes , not even a single bronze !!

To me ( ashdoc ) this horrifying fact of such a massive ( population wise ) and economically dynamic country getting no medals in an event where much smaller countries get several medals is linked directly to vegetarianism , for a large population of the country is vegetarian and gets very less protein in it's diet...and it is protein which builds stamina and strength .

When I start this topic on Indian forums , I am not received well because many Indians are vegetarians and get defensive about their vegetarianism . What is the response on this forum where presumably majority of members eat nonveg food ?

you get protein from other things though,however if youre vegan you might need help from your doctor to make sure you get all the things your body needs.

there could be alot of reasons why your country isnt doing well in the olympics-take norway for example we do great at most other sports but for whatever reason we`re absolutely crap at football. always have been.
and i dont even think we have any vegetarians to blame.

Short answer... yes.

Long answer... a vegetarian diet consists of less protein and less sustenance.
Humans are designed through evolution to survive on any diet though... but the key word there is "survive", not necessarily to thrive or actually be healthy.
It's the same the other way around of course... I know someone who eats only meat. No veg, no fruit, no pulses... just meat.
And she's always ill with some sort of ailment... headaches, stomach cramps, any kinds of cold or flu going round she gets it without fail... and she looks pastey and has dark sunken eyes all the time.

Humans are evolved Omnivores. Cutting out a type of food from the diet, whether it be meat, or fruit and veg... in short, is a bad thing.

also i feel vegetarians are a bunch of softies with no killer instinct , though this fact is hard to judge . and winning in sport requires killer instinct .

you get protein from other things though,however if youre vegan you might need help from your doctor to make sure you get all the things your body needs.

there could be alot of reasons why your country isnt doing well in the olympics-take norway for example we do great at most other sports but for whatever reason we`re absolutely crap at football. always have been.
and i dont even think we have any vegetarians to blame.
yes , but your country is great ( according to you ) in several sports inspite of it's small population of 5 million . india is not great in any sport---not even in cricket , which is a national passion . this inspite of a population of 1.25 billion .

also i feel vegetarians are a bunch of softies with no killer instinct , though this fact is hard to judge .

Hitler was a veggie

Hitler was a veggie
yes , but he was an exceptionally crazy person , i am talking about normal persons .

india is not great in any sport---not even in cricket
India aren't good at Cricket? I'm not a fan so i don't watch it but i always thought they were one of the best. They've won 2 Cricket World Cups including one in 2011. The only country with more is Australia.

India aren't good at Cricket? I'm not a fan so i don't watch it but i always thought they were one of the best. They've won 2 Cricket World Cups including one in 2011. The only country with more is Australia.
judging by the size of india and the national passion that cricket is , india should dominate cricket like brazil dominated football in the past . however , india is behind australia , south africa and pakistan in number of cricket games it has won . it is barely on par with england and west indies . only new zealand and sri lanka are behind it .

other countries like USA , brazil china etc dont play cricket , so i am not counting them at all .

brazil dominated football in the past
Brazil had one very short period of domination winning 3/4 world cups from 58 to 70 they also won none of the Copa Americas they played in this time. Other than that though their dominance is overstated they've always lagged far behind Argentina and Uruguay in Copa Americas for example. And since 1970 they've won the same amount of World Cups as Italy and Argentina and less than Germany.

Anyway this is way off topic so i'll probably just leave this thread now. haha.

if anybody here understands cricket , india has notoriously failed to produce fast bowlers in cricket---yeah , it has not produced a single fast bowler till now in it's entire history . and fast bowling is directly related to protein intake and stamina issues .

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Venus Williams is a vegan, but made it to Wimbledon semi finals and won the doubles with Serena aged 36, whilst battling sjorgen's syndrome which makes her fatigued very quickly.

Venus Williams is a vegan, but made it to Wimbledon semi finals and won the doubles with Serena aged 36, whilst battling sjorgen's syndrome which makes her fatigued very quickly.
And Novak Djokovic is a vegan isn't he?

The answer is no, you can get what you need from whatever diet if you want to, plenty of successful non meating eating athletes.

Could it be more to do with the lack of money in investment in competitive sports for youngsters? Do you have sports academies to bring on promising kids?