Mel Gibson's Hacksaw Ridge

Tools    

First, I love war movies. Second, I'm a fan of Mel Gibson, and believe that he is still one of the greatest actors and directors in spite of what happened a decade ago. So, when I read this article that Gibson is directing a World War II epic drama, I was thrilled...

Hopefully, this movie will pick up steam and, once again, earn Mel the respect that he deserves.

Here is the report:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Mel-G...dge-79837.html

The cast of Mel Gibson’s upcoming war epic Hacksaw Ridge continues to grow, and the production officially added Luke Bracey to its already all-star call sheet.

Hacksaw Ridge portrays the true story of Desmond Doss, a solder in the Pacific Theater of World War II who became the first Conscientious Objector to ever win the Congressional Medal of Honor. According to Deadline, Bracey joins the cast as a character named Smitty: a chest beating, gung-ho American GI who serves as a direct foil to the pacifistic Doss. As the story unfolds, the carnage of battle peels away the layers of both of these men, and they begin to see that, for all their differences, they have just as many similarities. Beginning during their stateside basic training, the plot of Hacksaw Ridge will follow Smitty and Doss’s unit – the 77th Sustainment Brigade – as they ship out to face the horrors of war in the Battle of Okinawa.

Bracey has signed on to join the already impressive cast for the war epic. It includes Vince Vaughn, who portrays the officer tasked with whipping Doss and the rest of the Sustainment Brigade into shape, and Aussie actor Sam Worthington, of Avatar fame. Particularly in taking this role, Vaughn seems to be continuing his trend of increasingly dramatic work, which began with the most recent season of True Detective. Headlining the affair is former Spider-Man Andrew Garfield, who portrays Desmond Doss himself. While Mel Gibson has obviously used Hollywood actors in his films before, he has often kept the number of familiar faces and big names to a minimum. By comparison to his previous efforts in films like Apocalypto, Hacksaw Ridge is an absolutely star-studded affair.

At only 26-years-old, Luke Bracey most certainly qualifies as an up-and-comer. Despite his young age, he has kept busy over the last few years. Getting his big break as Cobra Commander in G.I Joe: Retaliation, he recently starred in The Best of Me, as well as November Man with Pierce Brosnan. Aside from the upcoming Hacksaw Ridge, he also finds himself set to fill Keanu Reeves’ shoes as Johnny Utah in the remake of the classic 1990’s action film Point Break.

With Luke Bracey officially on board, we will see if the newcomer can hold his own against Hacksaw Ridge’s heavy hitters when the film lands in theaters next year.

I'll be looking forward to this. I'm also a Mel Gibson fan and hope he does well with this one.

Even though Gibson is a moron, he's one hell of a director and I look forward to this. I love war films and WWII history. I also know the story of Desmond Doss well. There was a great documentary on him called The Conscientious Objector you should check out if that's your cup of tea.

Edgar Allan Poe

I hope Hollywood can overlook Gibson's reputation and concentrate on Andrew Garfield's performance.

Here's Mel promoting the film and talking candidly about his past and where he is at this point in his life.

Mel is back, and I'm excited for him!

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

I predict Hacksaw Ridge will win the Oscar this year, and Mel and Andrew will most likely be nominated for Best Director and Actor respectively.

I predict Hacksaw Ridge will win the Oscar this year, and Mel and Andrew will most likely be nominated for Best Director and Actor respectively.
The Oscar as in Best Picture? No way in hell.

The Oscar as in Best Picture? No way in hell.
Why "No way in hell?"

The movie is getting A LOT of buzz, and already has 90% on Rotten Tomatoes.

It's an early prediction since award season is still 2 month away, but I truly believe Hacksaw Ridge will take it home.

If you're against the idea of it winning the top award simply because of Mel Gibson, well it's time to move on. The guy is a movie-making genius.

They're saying the first hour or so is pure melodrama, and then the movie becomes an extremely horrifying violent gory war film.
If there's one director who can show violence and war in its raw and true fashion, it's Mel.
Looks like this going to be one of the greatest war films ever made, right up there with Platoon and Saving Private Ryan.

i like war movies,but this looks incredibly cheesy..like most us war movies.
not fan of the cast either theresa palmer,vince vaughn and andrew garfield are average at best.
i like sam though

i like war movies,but this looks incredibly cheesy..like most us war movies.
not fan of the cast either theresa palmer,vince vaughn and andrew garfield are average at best.
i like sam though
It can't be any cheesier than Britney, or Shakira, or Girls Aloud

You haven't explained why you think it does not have a chance
Well, others have, even in this thread, but fine, I'll do too...

First off, I don't think it won't win any awards at all. It might be nominated for Best Picture, as well as actor/actress noms, and moreso, it will most likely be nominated in the technical awards.

But I just don't see it win the Best Picture nom and I definitely do not see it "up there" with Platoon and SPR... All the reviews I've read, even the more positives, have talked about Gibson's lack of subtlely and thereby all the embarrassing heroism/patrioism/cheesiness/corniness or whatever usually go hand in hand with many war movies of its kind.

Looking at it, I think it will be a fun time and maybe even a solid movie, but I don't see a masterpiece and I definitely don't see it win Best Picture. Also, you referenced Rotten Tomatoes, but the "brother site", Metacritic, only have the movie in the 60-ish/100 range... Saving Private Ryan has like 90/100... I just don't see it.

If anything, I see it as a movie that might go the totally different way and flop, either at the box office or at the award shows or both... but that is all speculations and random thoughts for now.

Well, others have, even in this thread, but fine, I'll do too...

First off, I don't think it won't win any awards at all. It might be nominated for Best Picture, as well as actor/actress noms, and moreso, it will most likely be nominated in the technical awards.

But I just don't see it win the Best Picture nom and I definitely do not see it "up there" with Platoon and SPR... All the reviews I've read, even the more positives, have talked about Gibson's lack of subtlely and thereby all the embarrassing heroism/patrioism/cheesiness/corniness or whatever usually go hand in hand with many war movies of its kind.

Looking at it, I think it will be a fun time and maybe even a solid movie, but I don't see a masterpiece and I definitely don't see it win Best Picture. Also, you referenced Rotten Tomatoes, but the "brother site", Metacritic, only have the movie in the 60-ish/100 range... Saving Private Ryan has like 90/100... I just don't see it.

If anything, I see it as a movie that might go the totally different way and flop, either at the box office or at the award shows or both... but that is all speculations and random thoughts for now.
Good explanation. I guess the only way to find out is when the movie comes out next weekend and what the word-of-mouth will be. Sometimes, trailers and reviews might be deceiving.