Mission: Impossible 5 - Rogue Nation

→ in
Tools    

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation

The fifth installment in a franchise that began 20 years ago - and more importantly to me the new blockbuster by Christopher McQuarrie. Writer of The Usual Suspects, you may recognize his work as a writer/director which began with The Way of the Gun and most recently Jack Reacher.

You've all seen the trailer - Tom Cruise hanging onto the side of an airplane during takeoff. Captured over 8 takes, this is the very first scene of the film!

It starts off with a massive bang and it's packed full of impressive stunts and funny one liners. Everything the populace looks for in a great summer blockbuster, this delivers!

My least favorite trademark of the franchise - masks so we never know who is who - is done here with a very very light touch and completely acceptable to my sensibilities.

Tom cruise is amazing in this film and at 53 years old gives us his most physically impressive feats including a small amount of parkour. You can tell he did a lot of training to pull off these acts.

To Recap on the GOOD - Great action, great stunts, funny jokes, this is perhaps the best of the franchise.

Now for the BAD - Breaking the 4th wall. Stuff that none of you would probably notice and that none of you probably even care about.

I saw this in IMAX 2d and for some reason a lot of Jeremy Renners scenes were grainy. Like the ISO/GAIN on the camera was up too high instead of having brighter lights like a normal hollywood film does.

How could a man that began his directing career with The Way of the Gun commit such a cardinal sin of gunplay. Automatics missing their target down a narrow hallway. What is this, underworld? Holy crap what a disappointment chris - although mitigated slightly in the following scene it was still enough to cause a drop in suspension of disbelief. Quickly forgotten as the next exciting, action packed sequence begins.

The car chase was fantastic and cruise did his own driving which makes it all the more impressive! Really cool stuff on location with practical stunts in a car chase.

The motor cycle chase.. not as much. Maybe chris mcquarrie has never ridden a motorcycle before? Anyone who has will scoff at the ending to this scene. To A further suspension of disbelief.

Regarding the underwater stunt scene - These guys are supposed to be secret agents. It always pisses me off in a movie when I am smarter than all these really smart characters. I'm not a genius so what gives?

Allow me to explain myself - Ethan Hunt is supposed to hold his breath for 3 minutes like that is a big deal? The world record for holding breath is over TWENTY MINUTES!! You don't just breathe in normal air when you do something like this, you exhale out all the co2 and you breathe in pure oxygen. Why doesn't ethan hunt know that? Am I smarter than him… I'm not supposed to be.

In fact tom cruise himself held his breath for TWICE that long while filming.. How is the worlds best super agent getting out performed by tom cruise the man? What a joke.

Sad to say but I'm pretty disappointed with chris mcquarrie. Perhaps it's a byproduct of the studio system, or simply part of the franchise influence. He is my favorite film maker and his previous films do not pull me out of the moment like this one did so many times. His writing and films are supposed to be smarter than this. But overall it was still a great summer blockbuster with a lot of laughs and really impressive stunts.

A great performance by Tom Cruise!! Dude still has it, he is better than ever.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	xxx_wtw_mi-roguenation-trailer2_01_dcb_73531949.jpg
Views:	4096
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	22317   Click image for larger version

Name:	7476381.jpg
Views:	3259
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	22318  

Mission impossible 5---Rogue nation

Tom Cruise returns---looking more handsome than ever even in his fifties....
But he is no James Bond , and does not get to sleep with the woman he likes....
This inspite of several undercurrents of attraction between him and Rebecca Ferguson....

And he is not invincible like James Bond either , depending upon a woman ( Rebecca , who else ) to save his life on a number of occasions in the film....
Yeah , I quite liked that angle---of a strong and capable but good looking woman playing an equal hand in getting the bad guys to book in the movie...

So who are the bad guys ?? They are the syndicate , a group of terrorists who are so stealthy that according to Tom's bosses they exists only in Tom's mind....and therefore not only is the organization that Tom works for disbanded and incorporated into the CIA , but Tom himself is declared to be a hunted man....

But Tom is a good man , and like a good man he has good friends...
And those good friends are ever ready to help him in his bad times....in short , they are willing to hunt for the syndicate with him....
And the hunt for the syndicate's agents leads on to Vienna to Morrocco to London....

As the hunt speeds up , so does the adrenaline pump up....
For this film is filled full of technowizradry and superactionpacked stunts and car chases and motorcycle sequences and mind blowing action....

And the good looking Rebecca is always by Tom's side as if she is his guardian angel....
Yeah , amidst all the high tech action I was on the lookout for a little low tech feeling called love , and I really wanted the two to be inseparable in the end....

But the audience had come for action , and the film did deliver on that part all too well....
That the action was without too much emotion did not matter , for it kept me hooked to my seat till the end....
....For the syndicate was on a no holds barred killing spree , not even sparing heads of state of nations....
And it was upto Tom and his bunch to stop the syndicate from getting their hands on such funds of money stored in banks that the acquisition of the funds would make the syndicate invincible....

So can they stop the bad guys ?? Watch the movie for that...

The photography of the stunts is terrific , and so are the special effects...
The one liners in the movie make it sound that the movie is mocking itself saying to us---this just for entertainment , don't take us too seriously....
But the entertainment---it does deliver on that seriously....
Once the fighting starts , it's breathless---to the point that Tom Cruise really has to hold his breath for a long time for one scene till he is almost dead....
Yes , death stares on many occasions to both the heroes and the villains....
And when death occurs , it is a bullet hitting bomb exploding motorcycle smashing car destroying death...

The high tech is all there---from identfying a person by analysing the way he walks on computer even though he is wearing a face mask , to musical instruments that pass through security checks but actually contain high calibre accurate rifles , to action scenes of Tom Cruise hanging onto the side of a plane....

Acting is good , by the actors who play the good guys . But the acting by the actors who play the bad guys is not so impressive . Overall , I was thoroughly entertained .

Verdict---Good .

I went in with no expectations. I'm not a fan of most spy films - they've more often than not bored me - and the cast and crew was nothing of interest to me. I was kind of expecting to not care for it because I'm not crazy about the spy genre, but amazingly...

I F*CKING LOVED THIS MOVIE.

Here's how they all rank for me by number and rating...

1. Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

2. Mission Impossible/ Mission Impossible 3 (tie)

3. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

4. Mission Impossible 2

Welcome to the human race...
Better than 3?

I thought 3 was the best so far.
I'd say so, but then again I'd say 3 is currently my least favourite. My order would go 4-5-1-2-3 for now.

As a fan of the Mission: Impossible film series, this is one movie I really was looking forward to seeing. My expectations were high, as they always tend to be when watching these type of movies. When it was time for the show to start, I was already pumped with adrenaline once I saw the Paramount logo. The prologue began and I had my eyes glued to the screen.

From the very beginning it was simply obvious, Tom Cruise has still got it!!! As Ethan Hunt, IMF (Impossible Mission Force), goes on his most impossible mission yet. To destroy and put an end to what is known as The Syndicate. A shadowy and deadly International rogue organization who are committed to destroying the IMF, and putting a stop to everything Ethan Hunt and his team has ever worked for.

Out of all of the previous Mission Impossible entries, I found Rogue Nation to be the most entertaining, enthralling and suspenseful one yet. Along with Tom Cruise, Simon Pegg adds a wonderful touch of comic relief as Ethan Hunt's loyal sidekick Benji Dunn. He does such a fantastic job in this movie, as he did in Mission Impossible III and Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, I think he deserves his own spinoff film. I doubt that would happen, but it would be pretty fun to see.

I had a blast watching Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation and I'd probably see it again. It ranks as my favorite entry into the Mission Impossible series. I recommend anyone who's a fan of these films to definitely go see this at the movies.

One thing I had a problem early on due to a lousy projectionist. It started and turned to black with just audio for the first five minutes, and then started back up again from the very beginning. I think the projectionist needed some sleep lol.

Other than that, the movie was great!

My rating:

Mission Impossible-Rogue Nation (2015)
Here we have the fifth in the series to be more pedantic. I remember watching the first Mission Impossible film in the franchise when we were children. Tom Cruise had just started his new career as an action hero after Top Gun and the lesser known Days in Thunder. I have now seen the last two in the franchise in cinema including Ghost Protocol (2011) which was better received than the second and third in series. Tom Cruise has maintained his action hero cult by making the role of Ethan Hunt his own.

We have the ever present Luther played by Ving Rhames who like Cruise has been present in all 5 in the series. Joining us from the last film we have William Brandt (Jeremey Renner) and Benji played by the ever dependable Simon Pegg for all the comical laughs. Joining the cast is Alec Baldwin as Alan Hunley, Director if CIA and potential Rogue agent Ilsa Faust played by Rebecca Ferguson. The film starts off with the familiar trailer clip of Tom Cruise jumping onto the plane to retrieve sacred hardware. Afterwards our hero becomes a man on the run like in Ghost Protocol to track down an anti-IMF organisation called the Syndicate.

All of the cast do what is expected of them. Alec Baldwin is unusually calm with Solomon Lane (Sean Harris) as the main villain. The makers of the film have learned not to focus so much on the villain like they did with Dougray Scott and the late Philip Seymour Hoffman. Instead the villain is treated like a mystery character in the old fashion sixties sense with the hero being allowed the steal the show as should be the case. Rebecca Ferguson does well the as the possible double agent and carrying the weight of replacing the likes of Lea Seydoux, Michelle Monaghan and Paula Patton as the main female lead in the film.

The film starts off well with the classic Mission Impossible theme before watching Pegg struggle to read Russian when opening the door for Cruise. The film is effective in its delivery of a cheesy sixties secret service caper. The action chase scenes are very impressive especially the bike scene in Morocco. The film uses many locations including Vienna and London. The film seems to pay tribute to London as a great and popular filming location. When the film stopped being a chase film like Mad Max Fury Road one has the have patience with a key Mission Impossible style retrieval scene.

The key relationship in the film is the one between hero and comical assistant i.e. Cruise and Pegg which in effect is the comical version of Jack Bauer and Chloe O’Brian of 24. Though Mission Impossible films are the opposite of 24 that relationship is pinnacle to the plot of the film being carried. That friendship of doing everything to have each other’s backs in is very refreshing to see and is similar to Pegg’s friendship with Captain Kirk in the current Star Trek film directed by J.J. Abrams (who also produced this film along with Cruise).

The film is for many generations and even parents to take their children to see. Teenagers can see the film along with older viewers who have grown up observing Tom Cruise develop into the action star he is today from the first Mission Impossible film. The film does well in its familiar territory and does well not to risk any new tricks or meets all the expectations. If Fury Road started off the summer blockbuster season this is the one the end it given the stream of unappealing summer blockbusters in between. We look forward to more action flicks from Tom Cruise in the next decade.