Droids Everywhere!!! A Rodent Top 10

→ in
Tools    

Taking into account my favourites, and looking at the memorability of various droids and robots in the movie world... here is...

I'm still doing some write-ups (shock horror, I'm doing write-ups!), so will start soon...

Gort - The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)

He didn’t do much apart from stand in front of the Saucer that 'he' and Klaatu arrived in and look menacing, but it made him more memorable.
8ft tall Gort was created as part of an interplanetary Police Force and is capable of destroying anything and everything, no matter how powerful or large, that was deemed as hostile. This meant the entire Earth was under threat from just this one single robot.
“Klaatu barada nikto”

Maschinenmensch, Maria/Futura/False Maria - Metropolis (1927)

Given a few names, the Gynoid was created to replace a woman called Hel, who was part of a love triangle. Hel left her lover, Rotwang, so she could be with Metropolis’ ruler called Joh, so Rotwang built the Maschinenmensch in an attempt to resurrect the since dead Hel.
Joh then orders Rotwang to give the Maschinenmensch the likeness of a girl called Maria, who is loved by his Son Freder, so he can discredit her.
False Maria then drives Metropolis into chaos, and breaks Freder’s heart.

Master of My Domain
I recently watched The Day the Earth Stood Still and thought it was good, so consequently I liked Gort.

Metropolis is one of my favorite films, so you're getting rep for Maschine.

Hehehe! I'm still doing write-ups at the moment to get my thoughts on each entry.
I normally just post them without explanation.

Data - The Star Trek TNG Movie Series

A bit of a cheat, but Data was in a movie universe and not just a TV series

The wonderful Mr Data added huge weight to what could have been a generic revisit to the Trek Universe. He gave humour and tragedy, intrigue and action and always drew your attention when onscreen. Allowing humans to see the best and worst parts of their own traits, Data always strived to be more than the sum of his parts.

Who wouldn’t want Data as a friend?

Ash - Alien (1979)

Mysterious Ash who would avoid questions and keep things close to his chest, appeared in The Nostromo a few days before they left Earth under Company orders.
Ash’s true purpose revealed in the third act shocked, appalled and excited and then he had a memorable ending with his severed head on a table.

Roy Batty - Blade Runner

The ultimate warrior gone haywire, looking for his creator so he can have more ‘life’.
Accompanied by other Replicants, but Batty stands out among the crowd due to being the leader, the strongest and most intelligent of the rogue group.

"I've… seen things you people wouldn't believe… Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those… moments… will be lost in time, like, tears… in… rain. Time… to die…"

The T-800 - The Terminator (1984)

An unstoppable killing machine… not on about the Arnie-bot we saw in T2 though.
This first incarnation was original, scary and had huge, huge entertainment value, brought sci-fi into a new light and made an icon of robots that look like humans.

WALL·E - WALL·E (2008)

Aahhh… WALL·E.
Cute, loving, strangely sentient when others of his model have since shut down and such a marvel to watch when there’s nothing but a few squeaks and bleeps in terms of emotion.
Not just a hero, WALL·E encapsulated everything that can be loveable about a creature made of metal and wires. And CGI.

ED-209 - RoboCop (1987)

Badass gun toting tank of a monster, with no emotion, a voice that can freeze an Office Executive in his tracks and some really, really bad wiring.
ED-209 was the epitome of the physical antagonist when set against RoboCop’s almost unstoppable hero.
He was also pretty funny in his own dark and stupid way.

Master of My Domain
Heh!

I thought about putting Deckard on the list.
You should have. Deckard is definitely an android, no matter what others say.

Anways, great list!

The T-1000 - Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)

When we learned the unstoppable killing machine T-800 was going to be a good guy in the sequel, who was going to be the bad guy?
Well, we got introduced to this creation.
With only temperature being its real weakness, the T-1000 Prototype is one badass robot who is unbending (no pun intended) in its mission to kill the leader of the Human Resistance.
Also, Robert Patrick’s deadpan delivery and unassuming physicality made him far more of a memorable droid than the original T-800 killing machine we all know and love.

R2-D2 - The Star Wars Saga (1977-Present)

Little Artoo the Astromech Droid, usually seen alongside C3PO, though 3PO won’t be making an appearance on this list.
Artoo is a key player, even the driving force (no pun intended) in the entirety of the Star Wars Saga.
Artoo has saved major characters numerous times, battering a few enemies in the process, has more knowledge than he lets on (he only shows it when needed) and always gives the viewer a thrill when he starts acting all cheeky, talking to himself or winding 3PO up.

The best of the best in the movie world, and he’s only a tin-box full of wires, a few bleeps and bloops and a few appendages that he occasionally sticks out

R2-D2, my #1 Movie Robot of all time.

Robbie was one of the many I stared with.

I had others like Number 5, The Iron Giant and Optimus Prime. I even had others like Andrew from Bicentennial Man and Gigolo Joe from A.I: Artificial Intelligence.