My 50 Favorite Romance Films

→ in
Tools    

I've always been a sucker for a good love story and there have been quite a few that have moved me over the years. Again, these are personal preferences only, but these are films that I love and never get tired of re-watching. Here we go:

Dark Victory

A classic tearjerker whose popularity was eclipsed due to being released the same year as Gone with the Wind, but Bette Davis' luminous performance did earn her an Oscar nomination after two previous wins.

From the Terrace

The chemistry between Newman and Woodward practically burns a hole through the screen here.

Barefoot in the Park

Classic Neil Simon one-liners and wonderful performances by the stars (with an especially underrated turn from Robert Redford) make this film a classic that I can watch anytime.

Carousel

Yes, it's a musical, but it is also one of the most moving love stories ever made.

Same Time Next Year

A clever screenplay and powerhouse chemistry between the stars make this one work.

Lover Come Back

Day and Hudson at their best.

You've Got Mail

The 1940 classic The Shop Around the Corner updated for the computer age as a perfect vehicle for Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan.

Frankie and Johnny

Pacino has rarely been so appealing onscreen.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Frankie and Johnny

Pacino has rarely been so appealing onscreen.

This is a great idea for a thread. I haven't seen the first two movies, but the rest of your list so far is great.

BTW, your pic for Frankie and Johnny isn't showing up.

This is a great idea for a thread. I haven't seen the first two movies, but the rest of your list so far is great.

BTW, your pic for Frankie and Johnny isn't showing up.
Just put up a new picture for Frankie and Johnny

Now Voyager

One of the great romantic dramas of the 1940's.

The Last Time I Saw Paris

A luminous Elizabeth Taylor performance is at the center of this classic 1954 love story.

Breakfast at Tiffany's

An entertaining love story and my favorite Hepburn performance.

The King & I

A unique love story not just because it's a musical, but because the word "love" never passes the lips of the two lead characters. The chemistry between the two is off the charts.

Wow, I haven't heard of most of these.
Thanks for some suggestions!

The Goodbye Girl

Neil Simon's infallible ear for comic dialogue and solid chemistry between the leads are the primary ingredients in this lovely romantic comedy.

Pillow Talk

Does this choice require any explanation?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I hope the list has In the Mood for Love, too.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
You've... You... What is this?! You're failing! Watch it now! I demand you to watch it!

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Nice topic... I like Harold and Maude, Before Sunrise (and the rest), Love Story, When Harry Met Sally, and A Woman Under The Influence.

I've been meaning to watch "Dark Victory" - I gotta take back my movies tomorrow, and I'm running out of movie ideas

You've... You... What is this?! You're failing! Watch it now! I demand you to watch it!
Just went to the film's IMDB page which revealed that it is a foreign film, which explains why I have never seen it. If you look back at anything I have ever posted on this website, you will discover nothing from me about foreign films. Never been into foreign films...hate subtitles...I don't like reading at the movies...if I want to read, I'll read a book.

Nice topic... I like Harold and Maude, Before Sunrise (and the rest), Love Story, When Harry Met Sally, and A Woman Under The Influence.

I've been meaning to watch "Dark Victory" - I gotta take back my movies tomorrow, and I'm running out of movie ideas
I love A Woman Under the Influence, but I wouldn't consider it a love story, JMO.

An Affair to Remember

The very definition of a classic movie love story.

Roxanne

A criminally underrated romantic comedy that shines thanks to sparkling direction, a deft screenplay and the finest performance of Steve Martin's career that should have earned him an Oscar nomination.

Starting Over

Burt Reynolds first serious foray into romantic leading man territory was a bullseye as man caught between an ex-wife and a current lover.

Sleepless in Seattle

As far as I know, the only love story where the protagonists only appear in one scene together.