The Darjeeling Limited

→ in
Tools    

A new movie from Wes Anderson. I am a big fan of Anderson so hopefully this will come to my local theatre or my sundance theatre.

Has any body seen this? I guess it came out in limited areas in September. Anways I'm looking forward to it.
The Darjeeling Limited a Wes Anderson Film

Plot: Three American brothers who have not spoken to each other in a year set off on a train voyage across India with a plan to find themselves and bond with each other -- to become brothers again like they used to be. Their "spiritual quest", however, veers rapidly off-course (due to events involving over-the-counter pain killers, Indian cough syrup, and pepper spray), and they eventually find themselves stranded alone in the middle of the desert with eleven suitcases, a printer, and a laminating machine. At this moment, a new, unplanned journey suddenly begins. (IMDb)

Stars:
Owen Wilson
Adrien Brody
Jason Schwartzman
with
Amara Karan
Bill Murray
Angelica Houston
Natalie Portman

Directed by Wes Anderson (The Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou)

Trailer (apple)
(other)

Release Dates
USA- Oct 26th
UK- Nov 23rd
Australia- Dec 26th

Rated R

Funny Wes Anderson Commercial

Yes, I've seen it. Wes Anderson fans will not be disappointed. Although very, very annoyingly Fox has decided not to show the prequel thirteen-minute short film, "The Hotel Chevalier" starring Schwartzman and Natalie Portman, with The Darjeeling Limited. Assholes. You can download it from iTunes.

The Darjeeling Limited has the least amount of plot of any Anderson movie yet. But as far as tone, style and character it's among his best stuff. Owen Wilson, Adrien Brody and Jason Schwatrzman are all perfect as the brothers with issues who reunite for a voyage mostly by train through India. The themes about family, trust, regret and forgiveness wrapped in Wes' own brand of beauty and melancholy, image and music, humor and pathos will be familiar. After one viewing it's not my favorite overall movie from Anderson, but it has some of my very favorite moments.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I really want to see this one, being a big fan of Anderson's.

I agree with Holden though, it would have been nice to see "The Hotel Chevalier" added on before, I've seen it and was really impressed.

The Reaping 7/10
Transformers 8.5/10
Flight of the Living Dead 6/10
The Invisible 6/10
Return to House on Haunted Hill 1/10
Planet Terror 8/10
A Mighty Heart 7/10

as a big fan of anderson - i'm really disapointed this isn't playing near me in any art theatres

edit : holy crap ! it's coming out the 19th actually in a theatre here

Originally Posted by meatwadsprite
as a big fan of [Wes] Anderson - i'm really [sic] disapointed this isn't playing near me in any art theatres
As a really big fan of Wes Anderson, I'm disappointed that you consider yourself a big fan.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
but it has some of my very favorite moments.
"I love you too, but I'm gonna mace you in the face!"

"I didn't save mine."

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
I watched this recently. I expected a silly, funny movie but didn't really get a silly funny movie. What I mostly got was a clumsy, hoping to be funny and at times profound movie but not quite living up to the hope.

The leads in this movie were either unattractive to begin with or were made that way for the movie. Yes, I know, I'm horribly shallow but I like to look at people I enjoy looking at, so sue me.

There really wasn't much to this movie IMO, other than family dysfunction and whining, neither of which I find fun or interesting. The best part was in the village at the funeral for me.

Sorry you felt that way; I didn't love it by any means, but I thought it was pretty amusing and, as you said, sometimes profound. And I don't know if you can really fault a film for the way it compares to your own expectations. Anyone who's seen any of Anderson's films knows they're not merely silly and funny, but always a bit odd, and always less glamorous than many other films. The Darjeeling Limited is no exception.

As for the attractiveness of the leads; I'm sure plenty would disagree, but regardless, how were they supposed to look while traveling around in old buses and trains in India? Pristine and airbrushed? I don't think their appearance has anything to do with the quality of the film, unless you require that you not be subjected to any stories about anyone normal looking. Which would be a shame, because you'll miss some pretty good movies.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I havent seen it but I dont think I would enjoy it for some reason

Good movie. Not as good as The Life Aquatic (which I love) or The Royal Tenebaums, but better that Wes's earler crap (i.e. Rushmore).

I found it funny. Profound? no. More like a parody of profound.

I didn't care for it. There wasn't anything I particularly disliked about it; I simply couldn't find much to like about it. I had enjoyed every one of Anderson's films prior to this; I feel like his style is so specific at this point that he needs to break free somehow. Personally, I'd like to see him either write or direct a feature, but not both.