The MoFo Top 100 Foreign Language Film Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Both The Hunt and Incendies are good watches, neither were ever really in with a shot of making my personal ballot though.

Seen: 27/40 (Own: 18/40)

Faildictions ((バージョン 1.01):
60. Den skyldige [The Guilty] (2018)
59. Kwaidan [Ghost Stories] (1964)

Argh Incendies. I remember watching it and thinking "this is an amazing film!" and then the end happened and I got so upset it just completely ruined it for me. Only a few times I've yelled at the screen. The end of Lost. The Packers kicking a field goal instead of letting Rodgers throw last year. Incendies.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Woooh, another round where I've seen both. Both excellent films. Had both in my short list, but none of them made it, though.

My Summary:

Seen: 11/40
My list: 2/25

My List  

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Hunt is a slow-burning thriller about a situation getting way out of hand due to silence, assumptions and mass hysteria. Since it involves a teacher and inappropriate behavior, I could certainly relate to it. I took most of the film as really happening, but when it comes to the epilogue and especially the final scene, I have different thoughts, so those who like ambiguity may like the movie more because of it. I think it ended as well as it could have, and good movies from 50 years ago ended similarly but with even more depth. I disagreed with about 2/3 of those at IMDb about what it means, but there are some idiots over there. Anyway, I recommend it but it seems a tad overrated.

Incendies is a complex mystery thriller about twins learning unthinkable family history [another subject I can relate to] while trying to fulfill their late mother's wish. It's highly watchable with plenty of revelations, including one of Harry Lime's faves. I didn't vote for either.

One small question... why the French flag for Incendies? It's a Canadian film/production spoken in Arabic/French. No big deal. Just wondering what's the reason.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
One small question... why the French flag for Incendies? It's a Canadian film/production spoken in Arabic/French. No big deal. Just wondering what's the reason.
No reason, beyond that I'm not familiar with all of these films and have been mostly going off the language listed on tmdb and hoping that's right! I'll change it to Canadian.

Seen both, voted for neither.

Incendies (2010)
Excerpts from my review:
"Wow! the opening sequence with the boys getting their heads shaved, that was powerfully artistic. Especially that intense stare into the camera by the boy...Impressive film making.

However, I'm not fond of the ending. I did a little reading and seen this was based on a play that was based on real events. But I don't know how much of this really happened? If it's based on true events, then it belongs in the movie. However, if the ending was embellished, it's then way too much and takes away from the more heartfelt personal journey that we see in the first hour."

The Hunt (2012)
Excepts from my review

"A rather nicely made film about a rather sticky subject...What I appreciated most about this film, is the restrained visual style, which suits the almost documentary feel of the movie. The cinematography is personal, with it's use of medium range shots and a hand held camera."

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
seen both, pretty intense films that didn't make my list.

The Hunt

Lucas: What are you saying? Have you got something to tell me?
Agnes: Stop it, Lucas.
Lucas: You want to tell me something?
Theo: Relax, Lucas.
Lucas: The whole town is listening. Tell me! What do you want to say?
Agnes: Stop it, you ****ing psychopath!
Lucas: I want a word with Theo. Look into my eyes. Look me in the eyes. What do you see? Do you see anything? Nothing. There's nothing. There's nothing. You leave me alone now. You leave me alone now, Theo. Then I'll go. Thank you.

Mob mentality, witch hunts, and how one rumor regardless of how unlikely can spread like something far worse than the accusation itself is done exceedingly well in this film.
It is a hard watch that angered me, seeing what an innocent man goes through because of how everyone around him - people who know him for practically his whole life will easily think the worse and d@mn him for it.

It is d@mn near impossible NOT to write a review on this film without going on a tangent about the subject matter and I've had to stop, delete and start again several times to prevent myself from doing just that.

I do believe this is an excellent film though it is one that is very, very hard to watch without hitting that emotional anger at what befalls him and how he's treated by the town he was born in and lived his life in.
Even in the end scene, a year later when things "appear" to be slowly coming back to what they are and what occurs in the woods. . . making for a very strong and significant ending to this film.

Incendies

. . . f@ck me

It is VERY IMPORTANT you DO NOT READ this review if you haven't seen it yet.

Because you can NOT speak about this film without talking about it. And, thankfully, when glimpsing reviews as they came in without delving into them, I was very happy to have skipped over a very important aspect that had a helluva impact.
Said impact brought the reading of the letters to the father and the son, by that person, and the final reading of the last letter by the twins all the more emotional.

The fact that I didn't see it coming and just how invested I was, especially when I thought the initial reading of the will and a few scenes after made me question the interest and involvement that may be lacking says a lot of the Director.

And for some odd reason, I had completely forgotten Villenvue's past films (don't ask me why I have no idea) and that added unbiased viewing even added more to the eventual mesmerizing effect of the film. And, in the process, those visceral moments that, without going into the absolute graphics, had an immense effect overall.
Along with the locations, the people along the way, and the fact that the twins had to visit their mother's homeland really brought a more substantial impact to what she had to impart to them.

The harsh truth.

Even more so for the brother/father.
As he read the words of Nawal addressed to the father. And then, the beautiful words to the son. Very, VERY powerful.
One of contempt. The second; of love.
While the twins will have all kinds of issues to contend with, I think the son/father, having experienced the horrors of that time and became a tool of that horror was able to find something beautiful, that we all seek. A mother's love.
And that, my friends, is some very powerful stuff. Expressed in that final scene with him visiting her grave. The sorrowful peacefulness of it all.

Movies Seen: 18 of 38 (47.36%)
3. Shoplifters (2018) #72
4. Rome, Open City (1945) #93
5. Rififi (1955) #76
6. Army of Shadows (1969) #90
13. Samurai Rebellion (1967) #79
19. Paprika (2006) #100
25. In This Corner of the World (2016) One Pointer

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I thought (despite hesitancy) there was a slight chance "The Hunt" was the great movie by Carlos Saura

-Le Trou - 9/10
-Knife In The Water - 8.5/10
-Nights of Cabiria - 8/10
-Sundays & Cybele - 8/10
-Contempt - 8/10
-Red Desert - 7.5/10
-Le Cercle Rouge - 7.5/10
-Rome, Open City - 7.5/10
-Shoplifters - 7/10
-Léon Morin, Priest - 7/10
-Bob Le Flambeur - 7/10
-Rififi - 7/10
-The Virgin Spring -7/10
-Run Lola Run - 7/10
-Le Samourai - 7/10
-The Conformist - 7/10
-Au Revoir les Enfants - 6.5/10
-Last Year At Marienbad - 6/10
-Roma - 6/10
-Army of Shadows - 5/10
-The Mirror - 5/10
-Fitzcarraldo - 5/10

We have 40 entries already, so more stats...

First, country breakdown

France = 11
Japan = 9
Italy = 5
Germany = 3
Russia = 2
Spain = 2
China = 1
Mexico = 1
Netherlands = 1
Poland = 1
Hong Kong = 1
Canada = 1
Denmark = 1
Sweden = 1

Second, decade breakdown

1920s = 0
1930s = 1
1940s = 1
1950s = 5
1960s = 10
1970s = 3
1980s = 6
1990s = 6
2000s = 4
2010s = 5
2020s = 0

Repeating directors...

Hayao Miyazaki = 3
Takeshi Kitano = 2
Henri-Georges Clouzot = 2

I liked The Hunt, but not as much as everyone else too. I think that can sum up my thoughts n Mikkelsen as well.

I gave Incendies a 3.5. That’s all you guys are getting from me, because I do not remember a thing about it.

Watched Run Lola Run yesterday. One man’s stylish and cool is another man’s repetitive and irritating. Just mostly didn’t work for me, I was interested if n how they would end the third act though, so it wasn’t a complete bust.

Also watched The Return this weekend, which I liked quite a bit. Double featured it with Loveless which I also hadn’t seen yet. Really good director who’s last name I won’t even attempt. He reminds me of Haneke a bit. I’m always down for a downer for some reason. Maybe it makes me feel better about my life. Kind of hope that’s not it, that sounds narcissistic.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Hunt I watched after submitting my ballot and it is a very good film, although there is another Vinterberg film I prefer.

Seen 31/40
My list 2/25

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Besides the ending, you can't unwatch the bus scene in Incendies.

Radiohead- You And Whose Army?

I loved The Hunt the 1st time, but I loved it a little less the 2nd time. It was a contender for my ballot but it didn't make it.

I liked Incendies quite a bit, but despite it's power, it didn't stay with me.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I didn't have either on my list, but these could have stolen spots from bubble films that were on my list because I didn't really see either of these making it.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
#62. The Hunt would probably make top 60 in this countdown. It would be about #20 in my list.

No reason, beyond that I'm not familiar with all of these films and have been mostly going off the language listed on tmdb and hoping that's right! I'll change it to Canadian.
Thanks. I hope my question didn't sound accusatory