Lets Talk Football

Tools    

OK, transfer gossip. I know it's a double post, but it's only us in here and I wanted to seperate the 'gossip' post from the M'ON stuff.

The Hatem Ben Arfa to Newcastle deal looks set to be done, with a one deal loan deal close to being agreed. (Agence France-Presse)

sport.co.uk report that Serdar Tasci of Stuttgart says he'd quit the club if Arsene Wenger made an offer.

More Ozil to United news, with The Guardian saying that United could get him for £13.5m as he's in the last year of his contract.

caughtoffside say that Roy Hodgson wants Alex Hleb.

More "Cesc won't be at Arsenal muc longer" stuff on imscouting.

The Mail says that M'ON leaving means that Ashley Young's on his way to Spurs.

They also say that Liverpool have switched their attention from Peter Crouch to Carlton Cole and are preparing to make a £12m bid.

Another big lump on the move according to The Mirror, who say that Kenwyne Jones will be a record £9m signing at Stoke.

caughtoffside reckon that Emmanuel Adebayor is the target of a £22m bid from Spurs.

OK, if Loic Remy doesn't come to the Premier League, I may never post a rumour on this site again... OK, that probably won't happen, but still. Today's new entrant in the "Will Loic Remy Play For Us" is Everton, who are said to be ready to pay £13m for him. West Ham will make a play for Yakubu, should that happen.

Shay Given says he'll quit Man City if Joe Hart becomes the #1 at the club.

Eidur Gudjohnsen is said to be on his way to Fulham, after turning down Birmingham.

talkSPORT are say that West Ham are close to signing Ajax striker Miralem Sulejmani on a loan deal.

They also report that Marlon Harewood's move to Blackpool could be off because of his wage demands.

caughtoffside say that Arsenal want PSG's centre-back Mamadou Sakho. I don't know what he's like, but he's really good on Football Manager 2010.

However, the same site also says that Arsenal are following Gary Cahill, Brede Hangeland, Matthew Upson and Phil Jagielka.

The Sun tells us that Liam Lawrence expects to move to Celtic after Aiden McGeady signs for Spartak Moscow this week.

The Daily Mail reports that The Sahara Group, a of the proposed buyers for Liverpool, has pulled out of the bidding process.

While The Mirror tells us that players texted each other images of champagne bottles to celebrate manager Martin O'Neill's exit.

Lastly, The Sun tells us that USA manager, Bob Bradley, has emerged as an early favourite to take over from Martin O'Neill. While yahoo says that Bradley has added fuel to rumours that he is joining Villa by saying he would one day like to work in Europe.

The People's Republic of Clogher
What I'm reading about O'Neill is still focussing on lack of transfer funds rather than Young leaving. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Young puts in a transfer request now, however.

Shay Given to leave Citeh? "Arsenal are a fantastic club" says the likeable Donegal man...

What he forgot to add was "...a fantastic club which has either crap or unproven goalkeepers and probably the only one I can move to which won't look like a move downwards."

The general wisdom about Shay is that he's a great keeper who has been unlucky to have been behind crap defences for most of his career. What if, on the other hand, he's a great shot-stopper but completely useless at marshalling his back four?

If he were to open a restaurant, what would it be called?

'Chez Given', of course!

Yep, the O'Neil story does seem to be more about not recieving funds from the Milner deal, rather than Young or anyone else leaving. I can't say I'm surprised. I've said that Lerner's not prepared to do what it takes to move up into the top 4 (not that I blame him) though I do think that not to spend anything is tough on a manager.

Ricardo Carvalho will soon be making the move from Chelsea to Real for a fee of £6.7m.

Ben Foster's the most recent player to pull out of the England squad to face Hungary. He's out with a back injury.

Craig Bellamy says he could quit football if he fails to make Manchester City's 25-man squad for this season and revealed that he's rejected a move to Wolfsburg. Unfortunately he also says, "I might finish, full stop. Or look at every option. This game is ruthless."

News this morning was that Barcelona were set to sign Mesut Ozil from Werder Bremen on a four-year deal worth around £8.3m. However, this has since been denied by Werder Bremen.

Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti has said that the club won't buy Javier Mascherano "at the moment" because of transfer restrictions. "If we do not sell, we do not buy," he said.

The Sun reported this morning that a 'tug of war' is developing for Mesut Ozil, with Chelsea, Manchester United and Barcelona all battling for him. On a potential move to Barca, Ozil said: "It is my dream to play for them." Of course, he said something similar about United last week.

The Mirror says that Christian Poulsen is set to secure a three-year deal.

IMScouting carries quotes from Mario Balotelli's agent, Mino Raiola said: "Newspapers clean glass very well…I use them for my car." He also said that he's still trying to seal a deal to get his player to Man City.

The Telegraph have a sly story about the Villa vacancy. They say that one of the men Villa are thinking about approaching is Mark Hughes. Yep, that's Mark Hughes "the new Fulham boss who's yet to manage the club in a competitve game and has only been there for about a week", Mark Hughes.

A short one for now, as I really need to get to bed.

Blackpool have signed five new players, ahead of Saturday. Marlon Harewood, young Untied defender Craig Cathcart, has joined for an undisclosed fee. French trio Ludovic Sylvestre, 26, Elliot Grandin, 22, and Malaury Martin, 21 complete the five.

West Ham have agreed loan terms for Ajax striker, Miralem Sulejmani.

Kenwyne Jones has signed for Stoke for a club record £8m.

Craig Bellamy's time at Man City looks to be over, after he was omitted from their Europa League squad. Stephen Ireland was also left out. However, Roque Santa Cruz and Robinho were included. Mancini only named 23 of the allowed 25, leading to speculation that the deals for Mario Balotelli and James Milner should be completed soon.

United have signed another striker. Portuguese striker, Bebe, has been signed from Vitória de Guimarães for an undisclosed fee, subject to a medical. Bebe only signed for VdeG last month, but it's thought that Fergie triggered a buy out clause in his contract, said to be £7m.

Sven Goran-Ericsson is said to be so eager to manage Aston Villa that he's prepared to lower his salary demands. Of course, this could just be the papers turning on the Silver One. That said, he does like a few quid, doesn't he.

caughtoffside are reporting that Untied are keen on 17 year old Anderlecht striker, Romelu Lukaku, for around £9m. However, seeing as we've just bought Bebe (medical withstanding) I can't see this at all. He'd be the 9th striker.

Harry Redknapp is said to have made Loic Remy his #1 target. You know the rest. However, I've also read rumours that he's on his way to Sevilla.

Liverpool and Everton are said to be interested in Peter Crouch, after West Ham refused a player swap for Scott Parker. I've also read that Liverpool aren't interested, and with Everton not having the money, I don't see this at all.

Somebody get ready to start the merry-go-round. Manuel Almunia is on his way to Villa, so long as Mark Schwarzer goes to Arsenal, as Brad Friedel will then move to Fulham.

caughtoffside with another (surely) bonkers story. This one see Liverpool buying Stephen Warnock and Stiliyan Petrov for a combined fee of £14. Even if it happens, £14m?!?! I know Fergie says that market's inflated but, at that rate, I'm worth about £500,000 and I haven't kicked a ball in anger since I was 12.

They also say that Jo's off to West Ham if the club sell Carlton Cole.

Deary me, this transfer window is depressing. Everyone we're linked with sucks more than a black hole in a red light district and we haven't even got shot of Robbie Keane or 2 metre Peter yet. I thought the CL place would give us the grounds to push on and cement it but we look like death warmed up in comparison to Woy's Red Scouse meanwhile Everton get their players back and keep the good ones, and City, well, throw their oil billions around like BP.

To be honest though, I feel no different than I do at the start of any season. I already have eebie-jeebies about Saturday, not to mention Tuesday's Young Boys game, which'll hopefully be worth the 15-odd hour round trip me and my party will take to get there.

I definitely fear for Spurs in their quest to retain top 4 status this season (are we allowed to call it 'this season' yet?), and this is in no way down to my abject dislike of Redknapp.

If Man City don't grab at least 4th then all hell will break loose at Eastlands and Mancini will probably be subjected to the same sort of fate as the poor old North Korean coach.

Like HK, I can see last year's top three being in the same positions again come May although you can't really say that any of them have become significantly stronger. The funny ones, as ever, are l'Arse - As strong as ever going forward but now even more suspect at the back. If Wenger can pull a tough centre back and a keeper (he seems to rate that Polish kid, though) out of his fundament they might even challenge for top spot.

If not they'll probably be challenging by Christmas before dropping to a few points above 4th.

Man Utd seem to have signed a gem in little Cinquecento. My ex wife had one of those, by the way. Great little engine.

The car, not the wife. Erm. Yes.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by Fenwick
Deary me, this transfer window is depressing. Everyone we're linked with sucks more than a black hole in a red light district...
Originally Posted by Tatty
I definitely fear for Spurs in their quest to retain top 4 status this season...
Reliable gossip 'Phantom of the Lane' makes a good point about Spurs' transfer and stability issues...

...we have managed to secure the futures of Luka, Bale and Lennon- who we have all received bids for, and very substantial ones at that.
I like this line of thought. Makes the transfer dearth seem less trying. Hitting Champions League (hopefully) level has helped us keep our best players. And with some of our nearest rivals for 4th unsettled, looking to lose key players, or far from gelled, having a relatively unchanged team is no bad thing (Especially one with a fair bit of class to spare on the bench too )

But yeah, hitting 4th again is still a big ask. And there's no doubt we could be better in certain areas. And the prospect of a resurgent Liverpool under Woy isn't a pretty one. But hey, let's all just enjoy Sh*tty exploding in a bonfire of vanities, as they almost certainly will

I think if Liverpool finish 5th this season it'll be seen as vindication for Woy's awwival. He was brought in to steady the ship and play with the limited funds available.

If the Americans manage to sell, however, then January will be very interesting.

Anyone bother with the England match last night? I caught a bit of it in between cutting my toenails and varnishing the dog. Capello can do nothing right, it seems, and even the broadsheets are sniffing blood.

Thing is, he listened to the criticisms and changed formation. Silk purses and sow's ears are difficult bedfellows.

Gibbs looks a cracking little player, by the way, and Young finally showed flashes of the player he can be for Villa.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Saw the highlights. Pretty refreshing to see the young lads get a run out. Pretty workmanlike opposition tho, Gera permitting. And mainly relying on Hollywood moments (& Rooney not getting himself sent off when boiling over at his water-carrier role). Still, pretty cool Hollywood moments

Young did look spritely, but I never get the right-footed left-winger thing. There were a couple of times where he got in good positions but couldn't deliver. (For some reason left-footed right-wingers confuse me less - Johnson didn't get any crosses in that I remember, but he cut in and shot well at one point. Perhaps it's coz lefty's are often known for having a good shooting boot, and unpredicability on their side, that they get to 'wing' it [sorry])

I think both of those guys would really thrive playing (in the nominal winger positions) in a front three where cutting inside would have immediate benefits but I can't see the formation being changed right now to include such relative newcomers.

As out-and-out wide men at international level I doubt if the 'running really fast then cutting inside' tactic will work but Johnson seems to have a few more tricks in his locker and is surely a better long term prospect, whether on the left or the right.

Capello won't make the Euro's IMO. Fleet Street have it in for him and they won't rest until they get rid of him. Obviously, they'll want 'Arry or Big Sam for the job, but Roy may just take a punt at it, even if he does well at Liverpool.

I didn't pay close attention to last night's game, but it looks like they played the way the 'players' wanted to at the World Cup. I don't know how close they came in the first half, but Gerrard's two goals were good, especially the second, even if it did show his lack of confidence with his left.

Liverpool have completed the signing of Christian Poulsen for £4.5m. There's also £1m in clauses.

West Ham are asking Liverpool for £20m for Carlton Cole, according to The Sun.

They also say that Chelsea have pipped United to the signing of 14 year old Burkina Faso prospect, Bertrand Traore.

The Mirror say that Milner to Man City deal is on hold because Stephen Ireland is waiting to see if Spurs make a late bid.

The Daily Mail report that Everton had scouts in the crowd as Loic Remy made his France debut against Norway. They also say that Aston Villa, Sunderland, Chelsea and Spurs also had scouts there. No word, of course, if they were all there for Remy.

The Mail also drag up the Roque Santa Cruz to Fulham story.

The Daily Star report that Joachim Loew has told Mesut Ozil to reject Manchester United in favour of Spanish giants Barcelona. "You have to remember that playing for Barcelona is very special for a footballer," said Loew.

The Daily Record say that James Beattie is on his way to Rangers in a £1.5m deal.

IMscouting reckon that Luis Fabiano is close to leaving Seville for Marseille.

talkSPORT report that Jeremie Aliadiere could be on his way to West Ham after being given a trial by Avram Grant.

Phil Jagielka has told the radio station that he's happy at Everton and won't be moving to Arsenal.

The Guardian say that Villa caretaker boss Kevin MacDonald could be in charge for anything upto a few weeks, as the club try to find the right man for the job.

Jeez. Steve Coppell has resigned as manager of Bristol City after only 2 games, and apparently there's rumours David James wants to buy out of his contract too

Aye, James has said that he wouldn't have signed if Coppell hadn't been in charge.

Coppell's pretty clearly a guy who doesn't sit easily with the pressures of the job. Part of me feels sorry for him but the rest of me thinks how daft chairmen are to offer him positions. He's like a baldy Keegan with a bit more talent as a coach but none of the friends in the media.

lol hmm but why would you take on a job like that when you know damn well what it's all about. I hope they haven't actually paid him anything.

Coppell seems to be a complicated guy and I'm sure he went into the job with the best of intentions.

We've all turned up for a first day at work and realised that we've made a huge mistake, haven't we? I know I have.

I think I lasted 3 months before jacking it in.

He's like a baldy Keegan with a bit more talent as a coach but none of the friends in the media.
I think that's probably the best description of Coppell, the manager, that I've ever read.

Here's some early gossip from tomorrows papers.

Stephen Ireland is 'holding his club to ransom' and demanding a £2m loyalty payment, before he moves to Aston Villa as part of the Milner deal. That's in the Daily Mirror.

They also say that City are ahead of Chelsea in the 'race' for David Luiz at Benfica. But I've heard that Chelsea aren't really in the 'race', but with Carvalho moving, I guess there could be something in it. Personally, I doubt it unless they've no confidence in either John Terry or Alex.

caughtoffside say that Arsenal are thinking about a move for Brazilian winger Michel Bastos.

The Guardian say that Scott Parker is close to signing a much improved deal which will keep him at the club.

The Mirror are claiming that David James' arrival at Bristol City may've been a contributing factor to Coppell quitting.

Sunderland's Anton Ferdinand is said to be going on a season's loan to Palermo, while Rennes striker Asamoah Gyan is coming in for £8m

After admitting that he was having trouble getting motivated for this season after getting knocked out of the World Cup, Tevez is now saying he's disillusioned with life in England and looks forward to going back to Argentina.

Lastly, in The Mirror, Santos have accused Chelsea of "harrassment" in the pursuit of striker Neymar and have said that they'll report them to FIFA if they continue.

Holding Citeh to ransom for £2mil is a bit like someone kidnapping me and demanding one of those '5 for a pound' cigarette lighters.

Pre-owned.

EDIT - I've just thought of this! I wonder if Man Utd really haven't a bean to spend or if Fergie is being so contrary that he's determined to do a very specific Wenger, so to speak? The more City spend, the less he's going to and still will finish above them in the table.

It's probably bollocks and the mountains of debt that the Glazers have saddled the club with is finally coming back to bite them in the arse but it's a nice idea.

And yet another forward joins Man Sh!tty. There's also talk in here about Ireland and Bellamy.

City boss Mancini seals Balotelli deal

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini completed the signing of Italian striker Mario Balotelli from Inter Milan on Friday.

Balotelli agreed a five-year contract with the Premier League club after flying into Manchester for a medical earlier in the day.

The 20-year-old was a long-term transfer target for Mancini, who worked with the player during his spell in charge at Inter, and it is believed he has cost City around 24 million pounds (29 million euros).

He is City's fifth big-money signing since the end of last season, taking their spending to over 100 million pounds (121 million euros) after the arrivals of Jerome Boateng, David Silva, Yaya Toure and Aleksandar Kolarov.

"I think that Mario is one of the best players of his age in Europe and I am very happy to be working with him again," Mancini told City's website.
"His style of play will suit the Premier League and City fans will enjoy watching him."

Balotelli will not be available to play in Saturday's season opener at Tottenham, but Mancini is confident he has all the qualities needed to be a success. "He is still so young there is a big chance for him to improve. He is a strong and exciting player," Mancini added.

Balotelli hinted that he was sad to leave Italy.

"I'm sorry to leave Inter and Italy, because I would have preferred to continue my professional growth in my own country," he told his personal website.

Balotelli, who has Ghanaian parents, had endured a stormy spell at Inter.
He fell out with former manager Jose Mourinho last season and was left out of the squad for a European tie against Chelsea.

He also angered fans of the European champions by allowing himself to be photographed in the shirt of their arch rivals AC Milan and was racially abused by Juventus fans during a match in 2009.

Despite all the controversy, Balotelli remains an incredibly gifted player, with pace, power and the ability to score spectacular goals.

While Balotelli has arrived at Eastlands in time for the new season, another of Mancini's targets, Aston Villa midfielder James Milner, may not get his wish to join City until next week at the earliest.

Mancini's club have been negotiating with Villa over England international Milner for several weeks and the Italian said: "We need another two or three days for this situation. We need everyone to be happy."

It is believed City are ready to sell midfielder Stephen Ireland to Villa as part of the deal but the Republic of Ireland international is still discussing a pay-off before agreeing to leave.

Mancini also admitted Wales striker Craig Bellamy's time at Eastlands is over after accusing him of false statements to the media.

Bellamy has been fined after claiming Mancini was trying to force him out of Eastlands and had stopped speaking to him.

He will not be included in City's 25-man squad for the coming season, with Fulham and Scottish club Celtic ready to fight it out for his services.

"I have to choose 25. The rest must find another team. Craig is out of the list," Mancini said.

"Bellamy can talk but it is not important because it is false. Last year Craig played all the games with me. This year I have chosen other players. I am the manager. I make this choice."

How fantastic would this be?

I can just imagine little Diego, after beating Birmingham City, stripping naked at the Holte End and attempting to copulate with an Alex McLiesh doll while blowing raspberries to the tune of My Old Man...