Dislike a movie first viewing, but grows on you.

Tools    

The first time I watched "Dinner Rush" (Danny Aiello) I thought it pompous and self-satisfying. I'd put it on just to be a "hater". Now, I think it's an excellent movie. Ever had that experience?

I somewhat disliked Oldboy on first viewing, but I like it more these days. I think that I was just a bit disturbed by what I thought were shock tactics the first time round, but after repeat viewings they seem to be a necessity to the story. The conclusion is sicker and sadder everytime I watch it too.

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
The Godfather. It bored me to death first time I watched it. But ever since then, it grew on me like a tumor and now I love what it has to offer.

An Auto-Bot that reviews movies....
It's beyond me now how I found 300 to be a little out of my taste, but ever since, I've watched it probably half a dozen times and even still love the film for its cinematography, its cast and the really intriguing action sequences it has.

I've probably had a few other times where I've had the same thing happen, but none are jumping to mind at the moment.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Chinatown, The Godfather & Blade Runner: The Director's Cut.

I disliked 2001 and Citizen Kane on first viewing but they now both rank among my favorites. Persona is also growing on me.

I didn't like Titanic (1997) when I first watched it in theaters, at the time I was 12; now at the age of 27 I loved watching the rerelease.

Precious tritium is what makes this project go.
Fight Club, it wasn't what I was expected and was a little disappointed at first, but after the second viewing I knew what was coming and I could just sit down with some popcorn and watch Edward Norton hit himself...good times.

Do you mean movies which you don't like the first viewing but then you keep thinking about them and when you watch again,you start liking them?
I didn't like The Godfather and Goodfellas first time but later it just stayed on my mind and when I rewatched them,I loved them both.Probably I lost the plot in the first viewing.
Didn't understood and liked Apocalypse now at first but I couldn't get it off my head so I rewatched it and and it's one of my favorites now.

Oh by the way,sometimes I get another thing.I watch a movie,absolutely love it,it stays on my mind for about a week and then I just forget it.And when someone reminds me,I don't like it and it looks bad when I start remembering it in my mind.And even after a rewatch I don't start liking it again.

Finished here. It's been fun.
This happens to me quite often. I watched Blue Velvet and Mulholland Dr and i felt quite indifferent to them. I thought they were okay. When it sunk in, they are two of my favorite films ever for sure.Honestly I feel this way about all Lynch films. Even Lost Highway and Fire walk with me. I didn't like them after viewing but after some ingesting, I realize they're pretty damn solid.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
Tokyo Story. Liked it on my first viewing, but never really understood Ozu's intent and completely overlooked the simplicity of the film (which is its strength).

Now it's an all-time favourite.

Being John Malkovich.

I hated it the first time and was constantly criticising it. Now I think it's genius, looking forward to Spike Jonze's new film.

http://bradmovietalk.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

For me, if I dislike a movie it stays disliked.
That's a pretty negative view. I think the first viewing of most masterpieces are generally the worst. As you watch the movie more and more, you discover interesting secrets the filmmaker has hidden. For me that's the mark of a brilliant filmmaker.

That's a pretty negative view. I think the first viewing of most masterpieces are generally the worst. As you watch the movie more and more, you discover interesting secrets the filmmaker has hidden. For me that's the mark of a brilliant filmmaker.
I'm referring to films in general. If the first viewing doesn't inspire me, then the second won't happen. With masterpieces its different. Casablanca didn't inspire me like it should have. A second viewing was definite, but before this occurred it ended up being sold.

I've never gone from truly disliking a film to liking it, but I have gone from not really knowing what to think to loving.

Two particular films come to mind, coincidentally both star John Malkovich.

Being John Malkovich

The Libertine

I don't think so. There are only a few cases where I disliked a film that is among my favorites the first time I watched it. Most of my favorites looked like masterpieces on first viewing.