The Prestige's Prestigious films to immerse you

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Gay is a pejorative when you're trying to reach a seemingly-imposible consensus? I don't really care. That makes as much sense as saying that if we like old B&W films, we're racists. At least, my wife and daughter won't accuse me of being gay, but you know what?, I know you're not serious, but even if you are, go ahead and tell Brenda and Sarah that I'm gay. I dare you! Even if you did, I wouldn't take it as an insult, but you will still be read the riot act, if only because you want to be funny. Hell, I thought it was funny too. Now, Group Hug, you Hugaphobic!

The bit in bold is why this isn't constructive, you've negated the fact that Prestige has said they are gay, when he was describing films as 'gay' (as i assume) he was referring to them being deemed as New Queer Cinema which Brokeback Mountain isn't. I'm not sure if you realise that you fail to take into account what other people say to make your arguments actually have some ground or just chose to ignore them. But it just goes round in circles, you fail to move onto any common ground even when Prestige has agreed that Brokeback Mountain IS is a gay film and continue to hassle him about his original statement:
The argument started with his misinterpretation of the film and stretched to gay cinema AFTER he specifically said (I can only assume he had a brain spasm) Brokeback was NOT a gay film (I'm not twisting anybody's words there buddy, that bit was black and white). I repeated my question about gay cinema after he denied another film of this title (or are we disputing he said that too?). I was merely asking what does qualify as gay cinema for him, but obviously that's a bit too much to process...

If you noticed his use of grammar or misinterpreted this (as i said above) he's just saying he didn't feel it was part of the New Queer Cinema not it wasn't a gay film.
Funny that he should say that, seeing as how no one actually said it was. What I said was that Brokeback was a gay film, to which he replied it wasn't because it isn't a part of the new queer cinema. I think it was only reasonable for me to point out what I have about gay cinema not being new queer cinema. It's great that you two can read each other's thoughts, the rest of us can only try to interpret your writing, a daunting task at times...

Pyro pretty much took the words right out of my mouth and expressed it in a way I could only hope to. I hope you're reading Adi and reading well. Like he highlighted, calling a film 'gay' is a very loose statement.

All I did was offer my own opinions of the film and came to my own conclusions as to what Ang Lee was trying to say,
And now we all agree that you were completely wrong, hurray...

I simply felt that the game theme was USED as a SUBTEXT, METAPHOR or whatever to explore male companionship.
Oh I got that bit...I believe I laughed a few pages back.
That's all I said! But you clearly think just because you're gay you have the right to make these absurd and random arguments that have no real genuine goal to them other than to provoke people for no reason.
Again, it's not because I'm gay, it's because I have common sense, and have a sick need to instill it into everyone, including the likes of you.

Face it, Adi...you were looking for ANYTHING related to homosexuality just so you could have a go.
That's partly true, although I would say I look for any sign of stupidity from others so I can have a go. I'm just not a very nice person...
But the fact remains buddy that being gay doesn't make your points or thoughts any more valid than a hetrosexuals.
Nope, the fact that I'm smart (and can actually spell) does...

OK Adi, you're right. What would I know? I ain't gay therefore I my opinion is invalid. You win, you're smarter than me for thinking Brokeback Mountain is a simply a film about men who love to duff each other up the arse. Yeah, what was I thinking in thinking beyond such things? Yeah you win Adi, you alpha homosexual you.

OK Adi, you're right.
That was clear from the start.
What would I know?
Not much apparently.
I ain't gay therefore I my opinion is invalid.
Nope, you just ain't very bright. Your sexuality has nothing to do with it...
You win, you're smarter than me
True.
for thinking Brokeback Mountain is a simply a film about men who love to duff each other up the arse.
Oh is that what gay cinema is to you?
Yeah, what was I thinking in thinking beyond such things?
Again, not much apparently.
Yeah you win Adi, you alpha homosexual you.
Aww, shucks...*blushes*

Wow, look what i dug up from PMs.

Edit: as has just been pointed out, PM is private message, which kinda neglected so got rid off what had but kinda feel obliged to keep this bit:

Originally Posted by Adidass
you're right about not being able to quit, but i do quite enjoy it when i can keep coming back with smartass replies, it's a test of intelligence, one i obviously won *grins*

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Well there's; Another country, Maurice, If..., Beautiful thing, Bent, Sunday bloody Sunday, The crying game, Caravaggio, Edward II, Sebastiane and other Jarman films, A taste of honey, Victim etc...
Yeah, The Crying Game, Maurice and Victim would have made up the rest of my top 5 of gay British films, along with The Leather Boys. I'd forgotten about Bent. I wouldn't have categorised If... as a gay film particularly, but then whether or not to categorise something as a gay film seems to be the whole debate at the moment (which is very interesting, at least to me, although I can see why The Prestige might be fed up of it hijacking his top 100 thread, perhaps it deserves its own thread...). For the record, I thought Beautiful Thing was mediocre and I haven't seen the others on your list but will add them to my to-be-seen list...

but then whether or not to categorise something as a gay film seems to be the whole debate at the moment (which is very interesting, at least to me, although I can see why The Prestige might be fed up of it hijacking his top 100 thread, perhaps it deserves its own thread...).
I think the problem is, instead of using Gay as a generic term like, say, Noir or Western- Prestige was saying "it's not a 'gay film'" in the sense of not being part of New Queer Cinema. Don't think there was ever any denying that Brokeback Mountain was a gay film.

Yeah, I got a message from Adi about a week ago saying 'lol pussy' as a response to me ignoring him. Sort of gives you an idea as to how pathetic this guy is.

I'll tell you what, Adi. You make your own thread about these issues i'll not interfere. How about that? Now if you don't mind, piss off my thread if you don't care for it. This is a thread for decent individuals.

ADMIN EDIT: offensive language replaced by, well, less offensive language.

OK, i'm hoping that the twat finally got the message, so I would like to continue my version of the greatest films ever produced. Still with me? Lets continue...

54. Willow (Ron Howard, 1988)

I'm very surprised at how many people on this forum underrate this great epic adventure. In fact, most people seem to underrate it. For years I had it in my head that this film was loved by most people. But I was clearly wrong..

I just don't see why people dislike it. It's an a fun filled journey with a lot of likable characters and character development. It's got good special effects and Howard was brave enough to cast a dwarf as the main protagonist. Considering it's a studio film, you have to give the guy props. You care about the characters (well I did at least) and its touching in a lot of places. I just don't get the negativity. Lord Of The Rings is no different. It's just ten times longer.

The scene where Willow watches Val Kilmer's Madmartigan show the heroic figure that had been hinted at earlier in the film still makes me mark out. Top film.

53. Groundhog Day (Harold Ramis, 1993)

Ever imagine what it would be like living the same awful day over and over and over and over and over? Well Harold Ramis' very funny morality tale shows you what it's like - and with halirous results.

Bill Murray's talents are used to it's fullest potential here. He is at his snidey, sarcastic and cynical best as Phil Conners, and he makes this seemingly unsympathetic man seem, well, sympathetic. . There are some GREAT comedic scenes and not even a dud like Andie McDowell can stop this film from being one of the best comedies of the 90s.

52. Dawn Of The Dead (George A. Romero 1978)

After the recent Land and Diary films, I think it's safe to say that Dawn has cemented itself as the best out of Romero's Dead trilogy. And given the period this was filmed in, it's social commentary was very relevant and quite bold for a horror film. And what a perfect way to comment on american consumerism by having a bunch of ordanairy citizens stuck inside a shopping mall. Of course, it took a bunch of film critics to expose these themes, but the impact remains the same.

One of the most interesting things about the themes is that the survivors have everything they could ever want in the shopping mall, but none of it matters in the long run because of the zombie predicament. Consumerism baby, it's a bitch. Clever Romero, eh?

It's worth watching the film just for it's simple mix of dark humour, cartoonish photography, and buckets of gore.

51. Rear Window (Alfred Hitchcock, 1954)

As far as masterful voyeuristic thrillers goes, this is the pinnacle as far as i'm concerned with James Stewert is the man that sees far more than he should in one of Hitchcock's best films.

That statement in itself is a tough thing to say considering he made some of the most iconic and influential films of the 40s/50s, but I rate this one highly because the concept of voyeurism had never felt so personal or been explored to a high degree until I watched this film.And Hitchcock isn't labelled 'the master of suspense' for no reason. The suspense and tension throughout the film is off the charts.

Peeping Tom
came very close, but I saw that after I had watched this, and this was directed by Mr Hitchcock. Which means superior camera work, superior performances and superior cinematography. . A fascinating piece of work.

50. Back To The Future (Robert Zemeckis, 1985)

Why are time travelling films so popular? There are many theories, but I for one feel it's because of societies desires to 'rewind time'. Imagine the power of doing such a thing eh? Imagine it's Friday night and the lottery's come on and of course you didn't win, but that doesn't matter because you have a time machine! Well Back To The Future explores time travel and much more. Obviously.

The themes of the film are obvious and sort of cliched, so I won't bother highlighting them this time round. It's the adventure and journey the characters go through that makes this truly great.

Time travel is an very old concept, but Zemeckis somehow manages to make it feel fresh and original. His direction is slick, and he clearly demonstrated an understanding for comic timing. But I think the charismatic Michael J Fox had something to do with that latter part. This being his signature role, Fox has much more fun than Eric Stolz probably had, and it shows. Great special effects too.

So there we have it. The first half of my Top 100 Greatest Films Of All Friggin' Time. I won't lie, it's been excruciating thus far, but I have enjoyed doing it. The first half was always going to be the hardest for me, simply because there are thousands of films I generally love. It's been far more easier for me doing the first 50 because I am quite clear on what films I rate as 4 - 5 stars.

But for those who have enjoyed the first 50...wait until you get a load of the next bunch. They will be even more in-depth than ever before and you may see a few surprises in there as well. I'm starting it this coming Tuesday, so stay tuned. Until then, we can discuss some of the films I have listed already. And I thank you all for the contributions you all have made.

...I just don't get the negativity. Lord Of The Rings is no different. It's just ten times longer...
Exactly. That's why I hate Willow ten times less. But I didn't like it all the same, but then I don't like many fantasy films (and I mean fantasy in the D&D, witches and wizards way before someone gets smart and says all films are fantasy to some extent, etc, etc) so that shouldn't be a big suprise.

Looking forward to the next 50.

So moving on

I think Willow is the only one out of all those 80s fantasy films that i haven't seen. I rate Labyrinth and Princess Bride highly enough to have them on my list, along with Warwick Davies alter ego of films- Leprechaun so probably should give that one a shot.

I personally give Night the edge over Dawn if purely for pacing reasons. Though Dawn does have Tom Savini so extra props there.

Actually rewtched Groundhog Day recently as figured if one Bill Murray film would make my list, that would be it. Didn't find it as good as i remembered

Looking forward to next update, keep 'em coming mush! (Even if the Nolan love orgy is inevitable)

You're a Genius all the time
I just caught Rear Window on TCM and it definitely lives up to its reputation.

But the ending is so lame. It's hokey and disappointing and lame. I realize the whole point of the movie is to ratchet up the suspense and the climax is an afterthought, but the climax is just really lame. Raymond Burr delivered one of the all-time stiff performances as the killer, Thorwald. Seriously, I cringe so hard when Jimmy Stewart uses the flash on his camera to blind Burr. He does it like five times! Close your eyes killer! Run at the crippled Jimmy Stewart, don't just lumber towards him with your arms frozen to the sides of your body like a gorilla!

I mean, I know it's from 1954, but come on.

Nice list.

Do you think that's a wig? Its gotta be wig doesn't it? Harry should loan him a hat.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The bunghole is that opening in the bottom of a barrel of booze where you put the tap so you can get the booze out and into your body so that it can go into your brain and turn you into a blithering idiot. A tap is a synonym for spigot. I wish I could find the photo I took on my honeymoon of a liquor store in Beverly, Massachusetts (very close to Salem) which was called The Bunghole.
I found it. Sorry, Prestige, about another hijack.