Up

→ in
Tools    

I gotta wait until tomorrow to catch this one , but so far it's the most positively received film this year. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on this one ...

I hope it's good, it looks kinda boring compared to the previous Wall-E, but I'll give it a chance.

Saw it last night thought I could dodge the family/kid crowd by seeing it at 8:55 but there was still a considerable amount of kids in the audience - once the movie started up though it grew considerably quiet which I thought was great because the opening is really serious.

An honestly heartfelt uplifting action/adventure film with the eye opening visuals you expect from "New Pixar". They've struck gold three times straight and best of luck to them in continuing their streak , but you already know about what qualities to expect from them - what about this movie ?

You probably won't be expecting the brutally depressing situation the main character is positioned in before he sets off on his adventure. We're introduced to two kids looking for fun and excitement - they end up marrying each other through a very emotional montage and their marriage succeeds many years as the two kids become two old geezers. Tragically and naturally Carl's wife passes away and with no family left his existence becomes repetition. As the years go on Carl's cozy life in his house is jeopardized when construction awaits to destroy his house and build more.

It doesn't take long for the house to leave soil , eventually Carl and his young stowaway drift to South America where their original endeavor becomes something else entirely. An old man with a mission stumbles upon a newfound purpose and this is where their adventure stems from.

Visually it's obvious greatness even though there are a foul number of close-up shots which I felt detracted from the overall wide feel of the movie. It's definitely up to standards of their past two films (Ratatouille , Wall-E) , the main attraction being the flying house of course.

One of the best of the year so far , get to seeing this one !

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Nice review, Meat.

If I may, a mini-review, or rather, a personal reflection. After seeing this film last night, I've been thinking about it all day....

The minds at Pixar seem to be writing their films for me. As in whatever story they decide to tell, it seems to match perfectly with my life. First, they told a story about toys at the time when I was raising my first son, Michael, from infancy to toddlerhood. My memory of watching Toy Story was thinking that the world they created was my child’s world. It was perfect.

Later, when my second son, Matt, was into his toddler years, I had just about given up on having my son be able to sit through an entire animated film. We had struggled through all sorts of attempts – Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Hercules-- only to fail. Usually, if we were ambitious and tried to see a film in the theatre, I was the one who abandoned Michael and his dad for the video games in the lobby. Matt just couldn’t make it otherwise. So, when Pixar came along with A Bug’s Life, and Matt was not only able to make it through the entire film but he sat transfixed, totally immersed, I was eternally grateful. It was as if Pixar knew just what ingredients were necessary to entertain the hyperactive child. It was perfect.

Then, they made Finding Nemo. At this point, Pixar’s genius was about to explode into me: my children were growing and turning into young people, and I knew it wouldn’t be long before they were asking for the car keys or wanting a ride to a dance. I would have to let go, learn the magic of being calm when they were late on a Saturday night. In the dark of the theatre, I started to cry. I cried because I knew Pixar knew what it was to love someone so much you wanted to watch their every move, carry them wherever they needed to go, touch them whenever they felt sad. They also knew I wouldn’t always be there to watch, carry, or touch. They understood and gently advised me to get ready to let go. It was perfect.

And now, Pixar has made UP. UP -- at a time in my life when things are different and difficult. UP tells the story of Mr. Fredricksen near the end of his life and at the end of his wife’s life. He goes off on the adventure he always thought he should have and finds his childhood hero to be not much of one. It’s a story about life and dreams and appreciation. How life gives us many paths, how dreams aren’t always what we think them to be, and appreciation is forgotten in the choices we have made. These themes are told magically through a house that rises into the air attached to the largest bouquet of balloons you have ever seen. I cannot remember another moment in a film where I felt as elevated as that house rising into the air; the feeling was incredibly strong and Pixar had brilliantly set it up. To be honest, the rest of film is delightful, funny, and entertaining but it was that one little moment which I will never forget. My life is full of troubles now and I, too, would like to tie a million balloons to my house and fly away.

In the end, though, Pixar once again proved how much they know me. While the soaring house’s image is imprinted forever, the movie isn’t really about that. It’s about how the adventures we seek are really in our own back yard. How there isn’t any place like home. How the adventure is actually living our lives. Mr. Fredericksen knows the adventure he sought his whole life was the life he actually lived.

It’s no secret that I once watched another movie with a similar theme. A movie about a little girl and her dog. However, many years have gone by since then. Maybe Pixar thought I needed reminding.

It was perfect.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Up

After living in his home for most of his life, Carl is suddenly surrounded by skyscrapers and construction. They want to buy his house so they can tear it down and build a retirement home. He will have none of this and decides to use thousands of balloons to literally lift his house 'up' and soar to a place he's been dreaming of going since a kid.

There's a bit more to the plot, but I don't want to divulge that information. Going into the film not knowing about it might have a stronger impact on you. Up, which is yet another fascinating film from the geniuses at Pixar is vibrant with colour, full of laughs, tugs on the heart strings and is an adventure for both kids and adults. I never thought a film that had to really old characters in the lead roles would appeal to the young ones, but Up surprised me. In fact, it really surprised me, hearing about the concept I thought that Pixar finally had a dud on their hands. Nope, not this time.

Up is one of my favourite Pixar films, up their with last years Wall-E and The Incredibles. The film is unique and inspiring. I doubt you'll find such quality film making from any other animated film, Pixar has set the bar time and time again. Up, while not visually stunning or powerful as last years Wall-E takes a different route and uses vibrant colours to draw attention to itself. The characters are cartoonish and the story itself could never be based on any reality and for a film about an old guy in a house with balloons, it's mighty adventurous.

Every Pixar film has a message that their cleverly slip into the excitement and Up is no different. We go on this journey with Carl and the young boy scout Russell, Carl at first does not like Russell, nor does he want him around. These two characters are at opposite ends of each other, one old and quite, the other young and talkative. Of course by the end of the flick they bond. Also along for the ride are two side characters, Kevin the colourful native bird of Paradise Falls (they place Carl wants to finally see) and Dug, a dog who can mysteriously talk. Dug is not the only dog who can talk though, the place is full of them, all trained to open doors and fly planes. They all heel to their master Charles Muntz, who has spent his life trying to capture Kevin.

Up is not only funny, fun and exciting, it packs a few emotional scenes too. Some people might want to bring some tissues, while it's not a sob story it is one of the few Pixar films that have moved me. What happens to Carl happens to everyone, so you can relate to him. You are immediately grabbed by him and his story and the film has more emotional punch in ten minutes of dialogue free montage then most dramas or romance films today can say for themselves.

There are a lot of words to describe Up: Delightful, endearing and whimsical are a few, but one I will choose to employ is heart. Along with Wall-E, Up has the most heart out of every other Pixar film I've seen. The film has a PG rating though, only other Pixar film to have this is The Incredibles. The Russell kid is shot at and people die, at times I was thinking would kids be scared of this? I don't think so, nothing horrible ever happens that could traumatize a young one in my opinion.

I did not bother to see this film in 3-D, I've heard it doesn't give enough 'pop' to warrant the additional money on the ticket. Seeing it at a regular theatre will not hinder your viewing at all. All the voice acting is top-notch and perfect casting with Plummer and Asner. See Up in theatres while you can, it is one of the year's best.

Suspect's Reviews

Saw Up on Sunday. I adore this film. It got to me. I was crying 10 minutes in, and again later on, and even felt a twinge while writing parts of this review. It's beautiful in every sense of the word, and I can't recommend it enough.

It's not quite as exciting as most of their recent efforts, but I'd say this is their funniest film since Finding Nemo, and possibly since Toy Story 2.

Those of you who know me or read my reviews know I don't hand out perfect ratings very often, but Up deserves it. Here's an excerpt, with a link to the rest:

Up

Up doesn't contain the kind of show-stopping excitement of, say, the door-riding scene in Monsters, Inc., the race through the ship in WALL-E, or any of the action sequences in The Incredibles, but it's far funnier than anything they've done in years ...READ MORE

Originally Posted by Yoda
I was crying 10 minutes in, and again later on, and even felt a twinge while writing parts of this review.
10 minutes in?! I can't picture you just a'crying away. What is this? I never see men crying. I wouldn't be caught dead crying over a movie. Maybe sensitive MoFo Support Group creating me is really just a big old hard stone statue.

BTW, what goes UP must come down.

Well, I wasn't bawling, and I was certainly fighting them back, but yeah, I think it would have to qualify as crying. Even reading about it seems to require that I steel myself a bit. It's a beautiful film.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Nice reviews, everyone!
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

A system of cells interlinked
I cry at films all the time. In fact, I was just blubbering away at The Wrestler last night!

Originally Posted by Sedai
I cry at films all the time. In fact, I was just blubbering away at The Wrestler last night!
Now THAT is understandable...

Before

After...

It is above his review.

Saw Up on Sunday. I adore this film. It got to me. I was crying 10 minutes in, and again later on, and even felt a twinge while writing parts of this review. It's beautiful in every sense of the word, and I can't recommend it enough.

A system of cells interlinked
Wow - I deleted my post immediately, but still got two replies. I noticed the comment in the above post, and not in the review right after I posted that. I seriously deleted it almost instantaneously, but the site asked me to log in again, which i missed for a couple of minutes while on another browser tab....