Pets

Tools    

Yeah, cat still has vision. Was worried about that considering the buildup over her eyes and nose. Vet called yesterday around noon for an update. Antibiotics, eye drops, and an injection of fluids for dehydration. Of course all the standard vaccines in that they admitted her. I asked if they could keep her for a few days as I'm not at the house enough to chase a mostly feral count around the yard each day to then lose two or three pints of blood over administering a few eye drops.

I figure I'll pick her up tomorrow or Friday. The one other cat finally showed back up last night. She's also congested and has goop around her eyes, but not nearly as bad as Matilda did. I think they were both on the downslope in recovery, but Matilda was near blind and in the road, lost. The other is walking around fine and all the other cats seem to have just had cold-like symptoms with a few sneezes here and there. Hopefully this will be the extent of the great cat pawdemic of 2022.
Can’t even imagine administering eye drops to a socialized cat let alone a cat who is outside & not completely socialized. I always board my cats at the vet’s if they need treatment I can’t handle. It’s worth the money.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
Here’s the scenario…

I brought a female friend (cuz maybe it matters 🤷🏼*♂️) to my parents house the other day. We came in through the garage, which leads to the laundry room, aka “The Spice Palace”. The cat sanctuary.

Parsley and Sage are usually as normal as cats can be, but not that day. They proceeded to engage in the “tornado alarm death howl” and became aggressive towards each other. To the point of being separated. And Parsley still trying to rip Sage’s face off through the cage.

Has anyone seen the likes of this before? My friend has dogs and I thought maybe she carried the scent. They also howled (to a lesser extent) at my sister, another dog person before.

The next day we put them on the porch, which shares windows into the kitchen. When they saw her then (and presumably didn’t smell her) it started again. I’m lost on what could be the cause of this behavior.

You ready? You look ready.

There’s no way I could handle the idea of living on my own without this goober.

That last photo was his “please adopt me” pic. He got showcased on our local news, and I instantly knew I had to adopt him. It’s hard to tell but he was…man, he was rough. I don’t know what happened to him and it has taken a lot of work but he has been worth every minute of it.

Dude acts like a feral cat. Swear to God, I’m convinced he used to run with a gang of cats. Like he was their muscle.

Dude acts like a feral cat. Swear to God, I’m convinced he used to run with a gang of cats. Like he was their muscle.
He’s beautiful. What is his name?

You ready? You look ready.
He’s beautiful. What is his name?
Hunter Indiana Jones

But we just call him Hunter
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Matilda will spend the weekend with the vet. I just got a call back and they said she's not really giving anyone grief with all of the meds they're putting on her. Hearing that tells me 100% that she's not at all herself still. They're giving her oral decongestants and she's coughing/sneezing a lot of crud out still. She's better but only backing off from them when they reach in for her. Normally she'd be scaling the walls of the cage. Poor kitty. I'm glad she's isolated though and in good hands. This bill though....

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

The trick is not minding
Matilda will spend the weekend with the vet. I just got a call back and they said she's not really giving anyone grief with all of the meds they're putting on her. Hearing that tells me 100% that she's not at all herself still. They're giving her oral decongestants and she's coughing/sneezing a lot of crud out still. She's better but only backing off from them when they reach in for her. Normally she'd be scaling the walls of the cage. Poor kitty. I'm glad she's isolated though and in good hands. This bill though....
I hope the kitty recovers.

Duplicate Account (locked)

hope she gets better, and that your bill is as low as possible

I hope the kitty recovers.

I'm sure there's a hidden death threat to yn in there somewhere. I just haven't found it ...yet.

o.O

The trick is not minding
I'm sure there's a hidden death threat to yn in there somewhere. I just haven't found it ...yet.

o.O

Don’t be so paranoid! And totally ignore that knife in my hand as I come towards you menacingly.
👀

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…

o.O
The Spice Gurlz are well-known goat assassins. Make the call.

Well, kitty #2 has joined her sis at the vet as of Saturday morning. When I got home Friday night from work, I noticed one of her eyes had gunked up and was closed. The other eye was still partially open. The next morning both were mostly closed with goop. She still was active, following me all over the yard and seemingly energetic, but I had to drive out of town for the weekend and didn't like the idea of leaving her. If one eye had already closed, likely she would be blind and lost by the time I got back so I got some warm water to try to soften some of the buildup. We got the second eye open well enough, but the first was caked on pretty good. I packed her into a carrier and carted her up to the vet. They were able to take her and placed her with Matilda.

The vet called Saturday midday, and again Sunday morning with updates. Apparently cats are GOT fans because they both ended up with the Calicivirus (rim-shot). Do NOT google that, please, as some of the extreme pictures are gruesome. As I understand it, it's kitty herpes, which makes for a great Ice Pirates reference... almost.I DID say "almost" so don't you all come at me with a correction. Anyway, this Calicivirus and/or some other infection has caused both cats to ulcerate and seep fluids around the eyes and nose. Both also have an upper respiratory infection that's been going around, around the house. The vet said he figures nearly all strays have this infection in their blood but some cats just have weaker immune systems to fight it as well as most.

I learned that apparently a cat won't eat if it can't smell, so that explains the avoidance of tuna Friday night.

Both are now sharing an isolation box at the vet and seem to be cool with the techs' eye wipe procedures 2-3 times a day. Both have been given antibiotics and decongestants, fluids, etc. Both vets that I've spoken with think this could be weeks of treatment before they fully recover, with Matilda (the first), probably taking the longest given her state.

I will probably check up tomorrow, but we are looking for a Friday milestone to see how they are progressing. There is a human drug that can be ordered, but that would take weeks of use on its own so we're not sure how well that will work given they're outdoor cats and the likelihood they will hide from me each day for their dose.

My others, Simon, Froggy, and Iddy-biddy Jr. have not yet shown signs of eye matter buildup, though Simon was weak for 3-5 days and wouldn't eat, Iddy-biddy is still sneezing pretty hard, and Froggy was recently napping more than normal. All three are eating well though. All in all, the group has been sickly off and on for maybe three weeks.

One step at a time, I guess.

Sorry to read all that Yin, hopefully both can pull through and you don't have to sell the house to finance it all

On a lighter note I love that one of the posse is just called #2 whereas the others all have names

Sorry to read all that Yin, hopefully both can pull through and you don't have to sell the house to finance it all

On a lighter note I love that one of the posse is just called #2 whereas the others all have names
lol, my bad. I did mentally note to add the name but I guess I skimmed right over it. #2 is named Spot. She looks just like Matilda with the exception of a U.S. fifty-cent piece white spot under her neck. Matilda has a smaller, white diamond that's barely noticeable. Both are otherwise black cats. Matilda rarely meows and has one snaggle claw that's always poking out. Goofy-ass cat.

Iddy-biddy Jr. is black with white socks, Froggy is also full black but her personality can give her away as she's more forward and her head is more angular. Simon is a white(ish) siamese with dark brown paws and face.

not that anyone asked for all that.