SNOW DAY!!!!!! films.

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
It's hardly snow weather but I've not been up to doing much for a few days so have settled on an old televisual ritual - Michael Palin travelogues.

Just the first three, mind you - Around The World In 80 Days, Pole To Pole and Full Circle - they slowly started to lose their joie de vivre after that, but there's over 20 hours of viewing on those 3 alone.

It's strange that this former Python has become the Alan Whicker for the fin de siécle age and his shows are hardly high of brow (thank god) but Palin's avuncularity is such that even the most staged of situations are never less than interesting.

Jolly good fun.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Woot it's a snow day!!! Yes I know I'll have to make it up next semester, but these days are not only exciting for students, but for us edukaters as well.

I'm gonna listen to Modest Mouse a bit, blame it on the TetOns and then give McCabe & Mrs. Miller a whirl. Very appropriate.

So what are some films you like to watch on your day off ??

I should watch The Thing now or The Shining. Maybe even The Great Silence. Two years after the quoted post I'm laying here in bed with my laptop... snowed in. ****!

Des Moines received 16-inches of snow the past day or so. School was cancelled for me yesterday, today, and it will be cancelled again tomorrow. My girlfriend is at her grandma's house, so I'm alone here with my cats. I guess that's not really alone.

I've been playing XBOX 360 pretty much all day. Mostly "Dragon Age: Origins" which is beast. I just cleared my car off and managed to get it out of a two foot snow drift. Now I'm in the mood to watch something. Maybe I should watch the movie Cabin Fever.

Oh and I must add Let The Right One In to my list of great snow movies!

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Iron Will is another great snow day movie. I'd have to say The Thing is my favorite.
Iron Will is good, for a Disney movie. But, it's still a Disney movie. In any event I prefer Balto and the Jack London story, White Fang over Iron Will.

Gee thinking back on it, it sure does seem that Disney was on some kind of Alaskan snow/dog racing thing back in the early 90s.

I never really liked White Fang because Disney changed too much of Jack London's original plot. They changed the entire ending, I realize that to put the whole book into a movie it would no longer be appropriate for children but I think they went too far. They deified the indians and White Fang never went back to the states.

White Fang was one of my favorite books as a child and the movie never really sat well with me.

I never really liked White Fang because Disney changed too much of Jack London's original plot. They changed the entire ending, I realize that to put the whole book into a movie it would no longer be appropriate for children but I think they went too far. They deified the indians and White Fang never went back to the states.

White Fang was one of my favorite books as a child and the movie never really sat well with me.

I can't say as I haven't read the book and I haven't watched the film since I was a kid.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I pretty much have to go to the mountains to see snow, so I'm more of a "RAIN DAY" person, I guess. Most of the "snow films" I can think of which haven't been mentioned only involve part of the film. For example, Doctor Zhivago, Where the Wild Things Are, The Polar Express, The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Empire Strikes Back, It's a Wonderful Life, Reds, Star Trek (2009), Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, Tunes of Glory, Lost Horizon (1937), Queen Christina, My Winnipeg, Beauty and the Beast, Bambi (both Disney), etc.

Trivia Note: Carpenter's The Thing is at the top of my queue because Sarah's coming home for three weeks and she still hasn't seen it.

Female Jungle Poster

"Exit, pursued by a bear." ~

In addition to some of the aforementioned, some of my favorites with key scenes or that are set primarily in snowy locales include...

Never Cry Wolf (1983), Breakheart Pass (1975), Jeremiah Johnson (1972), Dersu Uzala (1974), The Claim (2000), The Edge (1997), Into the Wild (2007), The Saddest Music in the World (2004), The Indian Runner (1991), Snow Falling on Cedars (1999), The Sweet Hereafter (1997), Affliction (1998), Frozen River (2008), A Simple Plan (1998), Nobody's Fool (1994), Wonder Boys (2000), Savages (2007), Starting Over (1979), The Empire Strikes Back (1980) and on and on and on.

But if I had to pick one and only one I reckon I'd go with McCabe & Mrs. Miller. Or The Thing. Or The Shining. Or Misery. Damn, I'm glad I don't have to choose.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Female Jungle Poster
Somebody just reminded me to add both versions of Insomnia.
And add Misery to my list. I completely forgot about that one.

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
You had a snow day?? I'm so jealous. It was just 13 degrees when I walked to the bus stop this morning.

It would depend for me, probably Die Hard

"Snow Day" is a good family film that you should watch on a rainy day, or snowy day for that matter. Chris Elliot did a good job as "the snow plow man", and the rest of the younger cast was okay. The entertainment was good, and the acting wasn't too bad. In fact, some of the movie was funny. Overall, this is a good rainy Sunday movie. If your'e looking for a entertaining family film, you should rent this. But only take it for what it is. I give this film a 6/7 out of 10.

Oh, any movie that's great.

"Snow Day" is a good family film that you should watch on a rainy day, or snowy day for that matter. Chris Elliot did a good job as "the snow plow man", and the rest of the younger cast was okay. The entertainment was good, and the acting wasn't too bad. In fact, some of the movie was funny. Overall, this is a good rainy Sunday movie. If your'e looking for a entertaining family film, you should rent this. But only take it for what it is. I give this film a 6/7 out of 10.
yes, its a good family movie.